Lost Cachers

Mr'D

I noticed that Chris (AKA Lassitude) has thrown in the towel after 3 years - almost hitting the 500 mark!

What makes a guy do these sort of things, and how can we bring him back into the fold?

And Volvo Man, another 450+ cacher...

Lassitude felt that his enthusiasm was waning and that other pursuits needed more time, and so decided to take a break. Not a total break, though - he did find one cache in Spain over Easter.

I don't know why Volvo Man disappeared, though there were some digs at "numbers cachers" in the forums, with which there may or may not be a connection.

Lassitude felt that his enthusiasm was waning and that other pursuits needed more time, and so decided to take a break. Not a total break, though - he did find one cache in Spain over Easter.

I'm in a similar lean period myself. I guess hitting 1000 can affect people in different ways. It took some of the incentive away for me, but I'm still setting puzzle caches to keep Leecee and Biffa busy. They like my latest one.... not a lot though. :ph34r:;):lol::laughing:

I don't know why Volvo Man disappeared, though there were some digs at "numbers cachers" in the forums, with which there may or may not be a connection.

Last time I spoke to Volvo Man he said he planned to blitz a load of caches for a couple of months then do none for a while. I guess this is just a bit of downtime for him!

He does still seem to be logging in to geocaching.com from time to time though.

We mustn't encourage him though - I'm getting the chance to get a few FTF around this area at the mo!!!! :D:unsure::D

I might well be described as a lost cacher... although I keep active with doing a whole lot of talking about geocaching, I haven't found one since the 22nd January.

That's not for lack of trying. I had 2 DNF's, but my enthusiasm is waning.

I found almost 170 caches in Ireland over the past two years. I can only quantify that in terms of: At one point last November I had found over 60% of caches on the entire island.

I drove almost 25,000 miles in caching related pursuits over the past 14 months.

And when you've done all of the caches in a 90 mile radius, and the only things that pop up near you are dodgy holiday caches with poor co-ords, then why get excited?

I'm moving to the SW of England in the next two months so that may re-ignite enthusiasm, but I'm not holding out just yet.

I hope it's just a phase. But if not, geocaching has made me a dedicated mountaineer. And I'm looking forward to combining those two hobbies.

the change is as good as a rest scenario applies. plus the price of petrol!! sometimes it's nice t ograb a cache on the spur of the moment without having to plan a long drive. i'm spoilt living on the edge of the new forest. new caches appear every week or so in my area.

stick with it klaus, the sw has loads so no need for the long drives. where you going?

Klaus,

I hope you have someone lined up to take over your caches - they look excellent! Although the IOM isn't far away, it's not a great deal easier to get across to Ireland from here than it is from the UK mainland, so I haven't been able to bag any yet.

That will change at the end of this month, though: a quick trip across is booked!

HH

I drove almost 25,000 miles in caching related pursuits over the past 14 months.

I went up to the Scottish Geocacher's bash on Bute last weekend. I stopped off in Co. Durham for a couple of nights on the way up to do a few caches there. In all I covered 1100 miles and logged finds on 38 caches. If you add up the cost of fuel, accommodation, food, beer and assorted other stuff. It works out at about £7 per cache :blink:

Edited by Pharisee

i think everyone needs to stop now n again to draw breath,whatever the pursuit..i metal detect,fly power kites,,fly model gliders etc etc but make a point of taking a break now n again..stops the hobby getting stale.variety is the spice of life after all :blink:

now ive reached 3 digits in this hobby im starting to eye up my metal detector again,its starting to look very appealing.anyone in herts / beds into detecting ???

stick with it klaus, the sw has loads so no need for the long drives. where you going?

I'll be based in or around Portishead, SW of Bristol. Not far from the M5 and a short drive to either Exmoor or the Brecon Beacons. Looking forward to some new walks and doing some caching.

must have cost a fortune!

25,000 miles @ ca. 1 euro per 10 miles = 2500 euro

Set of Dunlop SP1's = 190 euro

Oil/Filter changes *4 (at home) = 240 euro

Major Service = 200 euro

Bodywork and paint after minor ding while caching = 350 euro

Total = 3480 euro (£stg 2391)

*shudders* :blink:

I hope you have someone lined up to take over your caches - they look excellent!

Thanks for the kind comment - yes, I have agents all over the island lined up to look after my caches should something happen. Make sure you get in touch with everyone on the geocachingireland.com forums before you go - you may even find a willing tourist guide. I'd love to make it to the IOM sometime soon, sadly the ferry company's prices are a little steep.

I went up to the Scottish Geocacher's bash on Bute last weekend. I stopped off in Co. Durham for a couple of nights on the way up to do a few caches there. In all I covered 1100 miles and logged finds on 38 caches. If you add up the cost of fuel, accommodation, food, beer and assorted other stuff. It works out at about £7 per cache :D

But they were worth every penny, weren't they John? :D

I went up to the Scottish Geocacher's bash on Bute last weekend. I stopped off in Co. Durham for a couple of nights on the way up to do a few caches there. In all I covered 1100 miles and logged finds on 38 caches. If you add up the cost of fuel, accommodation, food, beer and assorted other stuff. It works out at about £7 per cache :D

But they were worth every penny, weren't they John? :D

Oh they were, Sally, they were indeed :D