Smart Car And Geocaching

canadazuuk

Guess that's been stopped...

Anyway - was there a locationless cache for a car rally, or vehicle sightings? (Other than Yellow Jeep Fever or whatever that was.)

And sorry - to my BC caching friends - I have not totally stopped caching - just a break for now... I have T-Shirts and cd's for the clean-up event still available - so the wacky cachers need to find me in Abby this week/end to p/u.

Have cached on occasion this year with MrG.

I will be doing some clean-up on my caches shortly, and even have a few to put out....

The Oscar Myer Weiner locationless is my favourite. I missed it last summer when it came through...<sigh>

Some of these locationless caches are quiet interesting. Not sure why the pulled the plug on the F. Lloyd Wright one. I was gonna do an Art Deco one myself but elected not to bother given the fact it is unlikely to be approved.

C-A

I was curious what "77 miles per gallon" means and converted it :D

so ... it's 3,06 L / 100 km

My car (VW Golf II) goes down to 5 L / 100 km and the somewhere else mentioned Multipla has a comsumption of 5,3 kg / 100 km ... yes kg / km >> it runs on natural gas.

I wonder which car produces less CO2 an NOx - the Smart or the Multipla. :(

Aline & Gerd in Germany cache using a Smart. When I'm racing them to a FTF (they usually win) I've got my eyes peeled for it.

I was amazed to discover that the original Smart (but not the new 4-seater) is rear-wheel drive. That's going to be a slight disadvantage when driving down unmade roads in the wet. (I know, I find over half my caches in my MX-5/Miata, also rear-wheel drive.)

Other "locationless" caches (even if they don't have the l/l icon) with a car theme:

100,000 Mile Rest Stop

Speed Trapped

I'm pleased to say I've logged the first of these, but not the second. <_<

Edited by sTeamTraen
And just where can one buy a SMART car in Canada? I thought it was being sold by Chrysler, but I see no mention at the dealer nor on their web site.

;) I've seen a few driving around in Halifax and few hundred at the Autoport here. Not sure I'd drive them on a big highway though :blink:

I found a dealer in Saint John. The Smart car starts at 16,500 and fully loaded can be 26,000. Are they kidding? this thing is only slightly bigger and more powerful than a scooter and they want 16,500???? It will be a longgggggggggggggggg time before I buy one based solely on the price. Once I win the 6/49 I may consider it....

Air cooled 3 cylinder 60BHP engine? This is a step in the wrong direction methinks. :blink:

You obviously have not driven a modern diesel car. They are much nicer to drive than a gasoline engine. You do not need as much peak power as the power curve in basically flat.

I want to log a locationless cache with a car theme. Anyone know of one?

Anyone in Canada that geocaches have a smart car other than me?

I didn't know you had one. Cool little cars. How much did it cost, if u don't mind me asking? Daimler had a test-drive track setup in the huge empty lot just south of Science World last weekend. They seem to accelerate pretty well. Unfortunately, a 2-seater vehicle isn't big enough for me since we've got a child and another on the way.

When my '91 Jetta Turbo Diesel dies, we'll probably buy a Jetta with a TDI diesel. Not as fuel efficient as the SmartCar but the best we can do given our requirements.

Even my non-electronic injection Diesel (with over 300,000km on it) gets 55mpg (Imperial) on the hwy. Pretty good for a car that can seat 5 and is quiet on the highway. The TDI motor should be much better and more powerful to boot.

When we were in Scotland a couple of years ago, I saw electric SmartCars.

---

For a locationless cache theme, how about one that features cars on posts? I can think of three, off-hand:

1) Cars From Mars car lot on Kingsway.

2) That weird TR7 with a rocket sticking out of it. I think it's near the Drake Towing yard along Powell St near Japan Town.

3) The pink car (some kind of Plymouth, I think?) at Pick-a-Part in Chilliwack.

If you found a few more in the Greater Vancouver area, you could make it a multi-cache. Let me know if you're going to do it, cuz if you're not, I might, now that I think about it.

GeoBC (aka Lars on BC4x4)

I donated the advertising space to the City of Abbotsford.

Anyhoo, the car was 20,470 plus freight, PDI, taxes... you can get into a base model for 16,500

My best tank thus far was 82 mpg

I was at an electric car meeting on Wednesday, and met a guy who is getting his smart next week, and he saw my geocaching shirt and remarked that he had been meaning to try a cache one of these days... he even had his GPS with him!

BTW - I am organizing a smart car event for Seattle on June 18/19. We anticipate 20 or more cars to come down from BC and AB. The Saturday will be a downtown Seattle smartour, not decided what route yet.

Uhm, still working on a 'hook' for the event. Hoping to find someone in Seattle with an 'environmentally concerned transportation outlook' or some other thing to help share the media exposure that will no doubt occur.

Edited by canadazuuk
BTW - I am organizing a smart car event for Seattle on June 18/19. We anticipate 20 or more cars to come down from BC and AB. The Saturday will be a downtown Seattle smartour, not decided what route yet.

Oh brother. Sounds like the Saturn love-ins of yesteryear. B)

Anyhoo, the car was 20,470 plus freight, PDI, taxes... you can get into a base model for 16,500

Hmmm...I think if you do the math it would be cheaper to own a Honda Civic and you'd have a more practical car.

I remember when I bought my Acura Integra I considered the VW Golf TDI. It was more expensive, albeit not terribly so. I calculated based on my 40,000km/year how much I would save by driving a diesel. Guess what? I'd have to own it for six years and drive it 240,000km before I'd realize any savings.

You just described every motorcycle ever made - and they can handily outperform economy cars. This isn't such a crazy comparison as both seat 2 people and offer very little in terms of protection during a crash. B)

When we were in Scotland a couple of years ago, I saw electric SmartCars.

Smart cars look out of place in Europe too. Haha!! Couldn't resist B)

Cheers!

C-A

You just described every motorcycle ever made - and they can handily outperform economy cars. This isn't such a crazy comparison as both seat 2 people and offer very little in terms of protection during a crash. ;)

I've never seen a smart car up close, and really I'm not trying to stir anything up, I just wonder whether a smart car has more cargo space than a motorcycle, for luggage and what have you?

MaisOui

:0)

..... and still being logged over a year since it was archived  ;)

The reason it was archived was not to stop people from logging it. The site was not designed to search through caches with over 1000 logs to see if you had logged it before (think pocket queries, filtering finds, etc). Archiving it prevents it from showing up in pocket queries and on searches. Much less strain on the database when caches like that aren't constantly being queried.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

You just described every motorcycle ever made - and they can handily outperform economy cars. This isn't such a crazy comparison as both seat 2 people and offer very little in terms of protection during a crash.

The smart has 4 standard airbags and is quite safe. Even if your GPS gets crushed by your knee. ;)

People say to me 'I wouldn't want to get hit by a semi in that car...', and I say 'I work for a trucking company with 200 trucks on the road. Pick a car you would like to be hit in, and I'm sure I can arrange a demonstration...'

The smart has 4 standard airbags and is quite safe. Even if your GPS gets crushed by your knee. 

Good point.

One of the problems with crash testing is they destroy the cars under their own mass. It doesn't account for getting clobbered by that tractor-trailer, or anyone else for that matter. Now in my case its usually me who is running into stationary objects :P but what if someone actually hits me? :D Okay, its not that much of a reach...

I remember when I bought my Acura Integra I considered the VW Golf TDI. It was more expensive, albeit not terribly so. I calculated based on my 40,000km/year how much I would save by driving a diesel. Guess what? I'd have to own it for six years and drive it 240,000km before I'd realize any savings.

Yep, you definitely have to figure out the costs of ownership when deciding that Diesel is the cheaper option. For me it was, even more so now that fuel prices have gone up so much.

GeoBC

The reason it was archived was not to stop people from logging it. The site was not designed to search through caches with over 1000 logs to see if you had logged it before (think pocket queries, filtering finds, etc). Archiving it prevents it from showing up in pocket queries and on searches. Much less strain on the database when caches like that aren't constantly being queried.

Is that why its all but impossible to get a locationless cache approve nowadays?

I've got one of those new Smart Trucks! It's a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Heavy Duty Quad-Cab 4X4 with the 5.7L Hemi.

Every time I fill it up, it really SMARTS :D

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Kaslo

Edited by Kaslo
  I've got one of those new Smart Trucks! It's a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Heavy Duty Quad-Cab 4X4 with the 5.7L Hemi.

It'll pass anything on the road - except a gas station! :D Bwahahah!!

I was shocked at how much fuel my new minivan gobbles up compared to my Acura. It had been so long since I drove a vehicle with more than 4 cylinders I was shocked. A V8 would probably bankrupt me.

I'm not why but this reminds me of a joke. A riddle actually:

Q: What does a fish say when its bumps into a concrete wall?

A: Dam!