Yardage instead of mileage...

manuelcasi

I own the GARMIN handheld...the simple model...yellow sport casing.

I wanted to use it to chart out a golf course and was wondering how to set the distance reading when navigating to only read in yardage. Currently, when i'm about 400 yds from a green it will read 0.25 miles.

By marking all the greens as waypoints and creating a route, I'm able to go around a golf course as if I had a GPS on the cart.

on my etrex, u can only set it nautical, statute, or metric. statute reads as miles or decimal miles till u get to within like .2 or .1 miles then it reads feet. metric reads as (i think, not 100% sure) kilometers then meters. i dont know what nautical reads as, nautical miles then?. anyways, i dont think its possiable to set the etrex to yards, but you could figure then out in your head...

[This message was edited by welch on April 24, 2002 at 02:55 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by rghermes:

With the new update just released on 4/19, you get a yards setting that will convert to feet when you get closer. You also get a cool calculator!!

"Indecision may or may not be my problem"----J. Buffett

Note that this update is only for the Vista, Legend, and Venture/Mariner, but not for the basic (yellow) eTrex. See the following page for the current software versions for Garmin GPS.

http://www.garmin.com/support/download.html

I don't know about getting the basic eTrex to display yardage for a golf course, I have a Legend and the latest software has yards included. I just want to remind everybody that using a GPSr on a golf course to determine distance to the green is technically against the rules. Of course that's never stopped me, but I don't play for money or in tournaments. icon_smile.gif

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

I don't know about getting the basic eTrex to display yardage for a golf course, I have a Legend and the latest software has yards included. I just want to remind everybody that using a GPSr on a golf course to determine distance to the green is technically against the rules. Of course that's never stopped me, but I don't play for money or in tournaments. icon_smile.gif

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.