GPS Unit Confusion - Help Needed

Team Golden

Hello,

I need your help. I'm looking for a GPS unit and can't narrow it down. I talk to stores who have their preference or don't know about them. I am looking at the Magellan Meridian Platinum, Garmin GPSMap76 and the Garmin E-trex Vista.

The uses that I am looking for is boating on local lakes, hiking, and Geocaching. I'm lost on which one to get. The Map76 has less RAM than the E-trex but I like the keys on the top. People I talk to say keys on the top are bad since they can be push accidentally or you won't see the menu since your hand is over it. I ask if they have used it and they say no.

I know all 3 should be fine for hiking and it is the boating I'm looking at. I want something that will show local lakes, rivers etc. I don't want to buy one and find out it isn't what I wanted or the added software won't give me what I need.

How do I know what to buy? What would I need in the future? What is your opinion on these choices. I would like to buy one in the next few days so I appreciate your feedback. The more I look the more confused I get.

Brian

I have the basic GPS 76 and so far it has worked flawlessly. Really locks on good in the forest and in the car. Like you, the keys just seemed easy to operate at top. Anyway i would think the guts would be the same except for the mapping features and therefore it would sound like a good unit to me!

frog_and_chicken.jpg

I just purchased the Meridian Platium and expect it to be here the first of the week. I have a 315 and found that to be an easy unit to use. But it's time to move up. Since I have become used to the magellan system I stuck with it. A buddy has an entry level garmin and will move up. Staying with the garmin line makes sense for him since he's used to that system.

I know you can do well with almost any unit. Enjoy yourself and have fun.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

From what I have seen it appears that both brands are good. There seems to be more Garmin in the Milwaukee area though.

How big of deal is RAM? If a unit like the Map76 model that has 8 meg vs. the Visita that has 24 meg. I know you should get the most but would I be sorry if I bought 8 meg? I plan on downloading from my pc and I don't see myself using the GPS to drive cross country.

Maps? This is the big item for me. As I mentioned all of them are probably good for hiking. What about boating and seeing local lakes, dams, boat launches etc? This is where Garmin seems to be ahead in offering more CD choices. Since I don't know what I'm looking for it is difficult and when you ask the clerk says I don't know....

Thanks for helping a newbie!

Brian

I have a Garmin GPS-II which I use for geocaching, hiking, etc. Since I don't need road maps, it covers my needs splendidly. I have seen these sell at very low prices on e-bay. Also, it works very well with the "Topo USA" software. With the addition of the serial interface cable, I have found it to mate up effortlessly with every computer I have run the software on. For hiking, camping, geocaching, etc., this combination has turned out to be a real winner for me. My guess is that you could put together all of this for less than $200 if you're willing to go with a used GPS. Possibly closer to $100 if you can avoid mail-ordering the software and interface cable. BTW - the accuracy and sensitivity of my GPS-II has shown to be excellent for my needs.

Later,

Gadjet

quote:
Originally posted by k9flyball:

Hello,

I need your help. I'm looking for a GPS unit and can't narrow it down. I talk to stores who have their preference or don't know about them. I am looking at the Magellan Meridian Platinum, Garmin GPSMap76 and the Garmin E-trex Vista.

The uses that I am looking for is boating on local lakes, hiking, and Geocaching. I'm lost on which one to get. The Map76 has less RAM than the E-trex but I like the keys on the top. People I talk to say keys on the top are bad since they can be push accidentally or you won't see the menu since your hand is over it. I ask if they have used it and they say no.

I know all 3 should be fine for hiking and it is the boating I'm looking at. I want something that will show local lakes, rivers etc. I don't want to buy one and find out it isn't what I wanted or the added software won't give me what I need.

How do I know what to buy? What would I need in the future? What is your opinion on these choices. I would like to buy one in the next few days so I appreciate your feedback. The more I look the more confused I get.

Brian

Gadjet

I have the Vista, but I would avoid this model if you plan on using it on the boat too. The Display just isnt big enough for boating. I would recommend the 76 or 76s from Garmin.

"I am umbilically connected to the temperate zone. It's brought me life. It's brought me love, I never have outgrown"----J. Buffett

quote:
Originally posted by rghermes:

I have the Vista, but I would avoid this model if you plan on using it on the boat too. The Display just isnt big enough for boating. I would recommend the 76 or 76s from Garmin.

I'd have to agree. The Vista is great for hiking and mountaineering, but the display is too small for regular vehicle use. Also, the one hand operation that is nice while hiking, is awkward in a vehicle.

If maps and vehicle are a big priority, I would probably consider something with a jack for an external ant.

-jjf

I have a GPS III+ that I bought about three years ago. I have used it geocaching, hiking, driving, and even flying. (I’m a USAF C-141B Flight Engineer) Some of the features I had to have when I was looking for a GPS are, waterproof, detachable antenna, and the trackback function. I wanted waterproof because it rains here in Washington (state) a lot. I personally believe that the best day to go geocaching is when the weather is the worst. It just adds to the adventure. I had to have a detachable antenna to connect it to the aircraft antenna. I have no reception in the cockpit of the plane, even with the antenna pointing out the window. (However, on a commercial airline I have gotten great reception pointing the antenna that came with the unit out the side windows in the cabin. I have a suction-cup RAM mount and fasten it right to the window, I get all the satellites on that side of the plane. I do get funny looks from the cabin crew though and have had to put it away due to a particularly ignorant stewardess.) I may upgrade to the GPS V soon to get WAAS. Just my two cents……..