Overall Brand Comparisions

I've been looking through the forums and have found quite a few product-to-product comparisions, but I'm curious about company-to-company comparisions.

What are your impressions on the overall product lines offered by Garmin and Magellan (and even Cobra, etc...) and what have been your customer service experences?

Do the techno-savy favor one brand over another and why? (Along the lines that computer dorks will fight tooth and nail for Linux/Unix machines over other operating systems). Do newbies always flock to one brand and why?

Thank you, and if this post is somewhere else in the forums, let me know. Thanks.

From my perspective, Garmin and Magellan are the Ford and Chevy (or the Lexus and Infinity) of GPSrs. There are loyal fans for both makes, both have a big solid market share, and neither is going away. When you cut through all the rhetoric, they are pretty comparable in terms of features, reliability, service, etc.

Staying with the car analogy, Cobra would be the Yugo (remember those?). Their reputation in the forums (whether deserved or not) is that they are poor quality units, and not worth the money at any price. Experienced cachers finding one in a cache might very well just leave it there.

Lowrance is the relative newcomer for Geocaching GPS units. They have a fine reputation for marine locators, and are making a splash in the forums with their iFinders. I'm not sure what car maker compares. Maybe Honda when they first hit the US market?

Remember that all of this is just perception from a forum regular, but then in marketing, perception is reality.

I have a Lowrance iFinder. If my name were King Henry, I would say "It Sucketh". It seems to do well on locating co-ords, but the lack of information in the manuel leaves much to be desired. Through randomly pushing buttons, I once pulled up a speedometer that was full-screen size. However, I have no idea how I did this, can find absolutely no information about this feature, and have not been able to repeat it. I've used my iFinder for about a year now, and on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the best, I'd rate iFinder at "3". I will be purchasing a new GPS unit soon and I am taking the time to visit others who have different models/manufacturers for a bit of hands on experience with the benefit of having the owner explain some of the features. I have no idea what I will purchase, but I'm quite sure I'll be much more satisfied with my next unit than I am with the Lowrance iFinder. Oh, by the way, I sent Lowrance and email and asked some questions about the operation of the iFinder. That was about six months ago. I still haven't had a reply. Maybe King Henry would have said "It sucketh.... abundantly".

OH YEAH.. for a car analogy.... iFinder = Edsel

Edited by TerraTrackers

TerraTrackers, the speedometer screen is a "hidden feature" in the iFinder that the manufacturer dabbled with but never implemented. It is not in the manual. To bring it up, go to the map page and press "exit" 2 or 3 times very quickly. There are a few other hidden screens as well, and I recall reading posts from users of other brand GPSr's have also discovered hidden features in their units by trying various button sequences over time. You must have bumped into the speedo screen while you were smacking buttons at random, trying to learn the unit. That mode of training on any GPSr will lead you to frustration.

I'm not sure if other brands are known to make more user friendly manuals, but most of the ones I've seen do seem unnessesarily complex, and sometimes you need to read it a couple times to really get a grip on the technology. Don't blame the product if you can't read the manual.

OH YEAH.. for a car analogy.... iFinder = Edsel

Sorry to hear that. You are the first one I see so unsatisfied with iFinder.

If you really want to know more about iFinder I would suggest to browse iFinder Yahoo! group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ifinder_gps/

About speedometer screen you found - it's hidden screen and, yes, there is no any information about it in the manual. To get in to it you have to click Exit button three-four times from Map screen.

There is another usefull hidden screen. From Satellites screen click Arrow Down button three times and you will get a table with lot of information on satellites your unit currently tracking.

Edited by Hoary
Don't blame the product if you can't read the manual.

Dang IVxIV, you are a bit critical of me aren't you? You are assuming I haven't read the manual or I cannot read at all. I've read the manual several times over with the same result. The iFinder does an ok job of locating co-ords, as I already said, but the manual is incomplete and hard to follow. A friend of mine and I bought the same unit at the same time and he has the same complaint. My opinion of Lowrance, to which I am entitled, is that they should stick to making so-so fish finders.

I've narrowed down my selection for a new unit to the Garmin 60CS or the 76CS. I'll probably go with the 60CS as I don't think the extra cost for the 76CS is warranted by the upgrade in memory and the factory loaded automap. According to their product comparison, these are the only difference in the two units.

Any comments on the 60CS or 76CS would be apprecaited. Unsubstantiated comments on my ability to read and comprehend are not welcome.

On that note, does anyone have any suggestions on where to purchase? I've seen up to $100.00 worth of rebates offered and wondered if anyone knew of a better deal.

Thank you.

I would agree with most of what is posted so far. Garmin and Magellan are the "Big Dogs" of the market. Both make excellent units, in general. Both have had their share of good and bad ideas.

Lowrance is new and going through growing pains. I like the idea that they implemented a storage card idea on some units, but hiding it behind the batteries is awkward, at best. I know this was done to keep the unit waterproof, but still not the best possible execution.

I am a PDA man, myself. I love having digital maps and satellite photos readily available, but the battery life hurts.

Really, it comes down to what unit is most comfortable for you. The only way to find out is to find a store with a wide variety and play with them until they chase you out. :unsure:

dadgum! I love my iFinder!!! It has over 700 hours of use without any problems. I'll admit the manual isn't the best, but I still rate the iFinder as the best value in GPSr's. Bar none!!! Lowrance doesn't sacrifice anything for a great price. Maybe the other manufacturers take advantage of the prevailing herd mentality. Basically one spends a lot on marketing (and you pay for it) and one doesn't.

To anyone else out there who has trouble with their iFinder; please post your concerns here. (Or better yet, go to the aforementioned Yahoo Group). This is what forums are all about. Don't brood for months then blast some pithy condemnation of a great product without really trying to solve your dissatisfaction. :unsure:

reid.

I have experience with many Garmins and Magellans:

Tracklogging at walking speeds: Only with newer Garmins.

Tracklogging at faster speeds: Garmin and Magellan.

GPS Trip Computer: Only with Garmins.

Topo on GPS: Only on Magellan.

Sunrise/set screen: Most accurate on a Magellan when checking locations outside your timezone.

GPS screen captures: Only with Garmins

I don't like the copy protection NavTeq is forcing on Magellan where you must always have the NavTeq CD-Rom in the Drive to use the software on your PC, since I like having both of my CD-Rom Drives for Street Atlas and Flight Simulator.

Sorry TerraTrackers, I didn't mean for my reply to sound like a jab at you.

I just gathered from your note.. You became frustrated reading the "poorly written" iFinder manual so you decided to learn to operate the GPSr directly, and while punching buttons you find a speedometer screen that doesn't appear anywhere in the manual. You e-mail Lowrance, asking them (amongst other things?) how to access a screen that doesn't officially exist, and get no reply.. and finally declare the GPSr, the Manual, and Lowrance in general, to be worthless. Is this the essence?

You're absolutely entitled to your opinion about Lowrance. I just hope it's based on actual facts. But finding an "undocumented" screen, and not liking the layout of the manual are the only things you complain about. Like reidster has mentioned, please ask any question about the GPSr here that you have, and we'd be more than happy to try & assist. And if you decide to toss it away & switch brands then that's your choice too. Best of luck whichever way you go :unsure:

As far as Lowrance goes, MY opinion is they create very high quality, cost effective products and have been doing so since the 50's. They pioneered marine consumer sonar systems, and to this day are a major player in that industry. Lowrance has been in the consumer GPS market since the very beginning, I believe longer than Magellan or Garmin(?). Recently their automotive navigation system, the iWay 500C, won the SEMA 2005 Best New Mobile Electronics Entertainment Product which is quite an accomplishment.

I only have experience with the Garmin and Cobra. I have found that the Garmin will aquire sats faster and keep locked better. The cobra was a good price though. And it got my cousin off and running although he wants to upgrade.

One thing I will say about garmin is that their customer service via email is quite good. Had a problem with my suction mount and they replaced it.

Roggen.....out!

Not knowing anything about GPS's back in 2001, I compared the corporations to help make my decision. At the time Magellan was being bought by Thales a European concern (not that there's anything wrong with Europe :blink: However, I was concerned that they were in a state of flux because of the buyout.

Garmin is an American concern and closer to American thinking, I thought, servong the U.S. market first. Also, in comparing the product diversity, Garmin's was larger, having more hardware models and software. It seems like they were into product development, expansion in a big way. I think their products have in fact led the way with Magellan coming in afterwards. Magellan was still struggling to come out with a product at the time to comare to the on-board compasses of Garmin and were late by 6-12 months in their release.

I was happy when I picked up the etrex line and liked the way it fit in my hand so I went with Garmin's Vista. That probably was what sold me in the end.

Now I've added a PPC with it's own GPS to assist in paperless caching and having a backup to the Vista plus the added benefits of auto-routing navigation, 24K mapping etc.

I think using the car analogy another way too is that each line you can get an SUV, sedan, pickup, truck etc. so that this enters the cosideration as well as the product name.

Edited by Alan2

I have a Lowrance Ifinder H20, and with the exception of how tight the batteries are to get in and out, I love it. I did have an issue with the Mapcreate Card reader too, but they helped me fix that right away. They are much faster fixing issues when you call them.

Some people believe that Lowrance is a new company, but Lowrance was create by Carl Lowrance in 1957 as a fishing sonar producer. They have been producing navigational equipment, mostly used by recreational fishermen since 1988. (IE Loran C.) I think they came out with their first GPS in 1993, but it was a big ole console unit. It was the year after I spent a grand on a Loran C unit. Doh! They introduced their first handheld, sub $200 GPS'r in 1996. I have been using their equipment if you include sonar units for about 20 years. I think their units are intuitive to people who spend time using fishfinders, but maybe not intuitive to those who don't.

It's just my opinion, but I wouldn't rate them as the equivalent to an Edsel. The company is not as big as Garmin or Magellan and geocachers who use Lowrance units are few and far between, but their equipment is good in my book. I would buy another in a minute.

All that said when my friends ask what they should buy, I say a Garmin Etrex Legend. Why you might ask? Because I won't always be there when they have problems or questions and need help, but zillions of Geocachers here at Geocaching.com who own Legends will. One of the people that I suggested buy a Legend wishes he would have bought an Ifinder. I can't win for losing. Another guy that I suggested the Legend to, will most likely buy a Magellan Meridian Color unit

Go figure.

Roy

Garmin and Magellan are the top two manufacturers in consumer gps with Garmin selling roughly 2x Magellan's volume. Both companies make excellent products although i think Garmin makes a much wider array of gps products. They do seem to be more innovative and definitely release products much more frequently than does Magellan. Garmin makes a huge range of accessories for their products, Magellan less so.

Cobra, yeah well we've already talked about them. Nuff said.

Lowrance offers nice hardware configurations at very reasonable prices - for the price they are very, very attractive. Lowrance use Ram for their mounts - top quality products. Brunton's new Atlas is basically just another Lowrance unit.

Garmin and Magellan would have the widest array of mapping software with Garmin the definite leader in this category - particularly in Canada.

From a user interface perspective no one does it better than Garmin - very straightforward. I would not say the same for Magellan or Lowrance, and particularly Lowrance. Very convoluted, and the way they "select" something is backwards in contrast to every other manufacturers unit (except maybe the Brunton).

The new Garmin colour screens are remarkable in that they are extremely readable in bright outside light - other manufacturers are trying to match them. They also deliver outstanding battery life at the same time.

Garmin's aftersales support and service seems to receive kudos more often than not. I have the opportunity to call all of these manufacturers from time to time and talk with their tech support - Garmin is almost never a wait, Lowrance is similar. With Magellan I'm always waiting. I don't call Cobra - no one cares...

It would be valuable to know what your requirements are from a priority's point of view - is this for vehicle navigation? backwoods use? offshore?

I just purchased the Garmin 76CS after reading many forum posts here and on Yahoo. My previous GPSr was an ancient Garmin GPS III.

I liked the ability of being able to use SD cards in the Magellan units and knew they had a good reputation. The key word there is HAD. From all the reading on the Yahoo groups, I got the impression that the quality and support have gone down hill since they were acquired by Thales.

I also looked at the Lowrance units, and after reading about them, I got the impression that street level routing was more difficult than with other brands. Travel, as well as Geocaching had to be considered for me since I will be using the unit for both. My old unit was used for cross-country travel several times.

Even though I've only had the new unit for several weeks of familiarization, I am very pleased with it so far. I have been able to load all the maps I need with room to spare. I hope to try it for Geocaching within the next week or two (family schedule and my health permitting).

Ernie

Lowrance is new and going through growing pains.

Lowrance is not new to GPS, Lowarance got into the GPS market very early around the same time as Garmin, but then Laowarnce/Eagle got out of the GPS market and tried to sell that division to Cobra that deal did not go through. Lowarance started show the I-finders at trade shows last summer, after being out of the market for several years.

The earliest consumer GPS that I saw on the market was a Magellan that came out just before the first gulf war, these form what I have been told had a secret menu in which they could be switched over to the Military GPS configuration.

Garmin is an American concern and closer to American thinking

Garmin was started by

Gary Burrell and Min Kao, there first names were combined to form Garmin.

Garmin is based in the Cayman islands

Industry: Technology - Electronic Instr. & Controls

Queensgate House, P.O. Box 30464SMB, George Town, Grand Cayman,

Garmin

Garmin

Edited by JohnnyVegas
From a user interface perspective no one does it better than Garmin - very straightforward.  I would not say the same for Magellan or Lowrance, and particularly Lowrance.  Very convoluted, and the way they "select" something is backwards in contrast to every other manufacturers unit (except maybe the Brunton).

Vlad, I agree with everything you said in your post, except this (maybe). You're entitled to your opinions, especially if they're backed up by experience. However some details are lacking I think. I'm not bashing you or Garmin; I just want to better understand your critique. The more we educate each other, the better we'll all get along.

I know this may sound stupid, but which user interface of what Garmin model? What's being selecting and how?

For buttons Garmin GPSr's seem to come in three favors: side buttons and stick (Etrex); buttons on front-top (76); and buttons on front-bottom (60). Having used an iFinder for so long, whenever I use an Etrex I go stark raving mad. Having to scroll and toggle so much while needing to use two fingers and a thumb of only the right hand is not for me, can't do it. But I will say the new 60C looks mighty impressive. (It's almost identical to my two-year old iFinder.) Although I've never used one, the 76 doesn't look to be very easy to use with one-hand.

What exactly is convoluted? I've never heard this criticism before. However , if you mean which menu item do I select to toggle a certain feature? Then… Yes, you do have a point, because certain ones do stink. They did seem to miss the mark when they sorted what commands should go into either the System Setup or GPS Setup drop-downs. In their defense, it seems in the Advanced Mode there are so many commands that all those pertaining to one menu item wouldn't fit on one screen. So the extras got pushed from one list over to the other. (Now has anybody out there ever needed to "Map Fix" his or her GPSr to a topo map?)

However I must give them credit for having a menu dedicated to saving and editing waypoints. It allows for easy entry of your current position, auto-averaged current position (love it!), map screen position, and manual Lat/Lon coord's. There's no need to create a temp position on one screen and then toggle around to another to edit it.

BTW: The newest Brunton is just a re-badged iFinder with a Brunton price.

Thanks, reidster.

From a user interface perspective no one does it better than Garmin - very straightforward. I would not say the same for Magellan

I have always found the Magellan interface to be more user freindly, Once your learn the button layout on a Magelln GPSr, you can use any GPS that they make. Even with the new Exlorist 500 I just purchased I was able to pick up the GPS take one look at it an know what button did what. They did move the power button and back light buttons to the side but the functions the same for the other buttons, now the 500 has an expanded menu due to the new functions and the file transfer method, but the new explorist are a big jump in firmware over the older magellan products.

One thing I like about the magellans that pre date the explorist 400, 500 and 600, they all use the same data cables and power cables, it make it real easy if you have to replace one. This is something that cannot be said of Garmin.

i guess what i am saying is that garmin's implementation of the "menu" button is very nicely done. from essentially any screen (even subscreens) if i am looking for a function or command that relates to something that i am doing then pushing menu almost always brings up the choice or command i was looking for.

the physicality of the products and their buttons/toggles is not really what i was referring to - the etrex is for left-handed use by the way.

once you switch the lowrance units into advanced mode their setup becomes two pages of choice after choice - it's not a bad thing - i just prefer garmin's approach.

as well garmin's quit button never takes you all the way out of something - it just goes back one step. no need to "go back in" again because the user interface backed you all the way out of something.

i do like lowrance's implementation of icons in addition to waypoints - that is a very powerful feature. the range rings are cool too.

this post (mine) is talking in generalities so there may be instances where my examples might not be always the way but again, in general...

in the end each manufacturers' product has strengths and weaknesses but for me garmin's very simple and straightforward ui seems to make the most sense.

Edited by Vlad

I ended up going with a Sportrak Pro primarily because I liked Magellan's interface better than Garmin's. I played around with a borrowed etrex for a couple days and didn't like the thumb button at all. It's especially not a friendly interface if you're interested in having the GPSr mounted in the car like I do with my sportrak and Magellan's windshield mount. I do like the smaller form factor of the eTrex units, though.

As for other differences: I think it's comparing apples to apples. Mostly. There are arguable pros & cons to the maps each company provides, you can argue about "helix" and "patch" attennas, etc. Which ever one you go with, there will be things you like about it and things you don't like about it. A lot of it is personal preference so I'd say that it's better to do full research into the features (or lack of) that each has and know what you're getting (or not getting). And not just purchase one brand and/or model over another because "it's what all the cool kids have".

Edited by Jeeters

I have an iFinder H2O and I think it's great. I don't like the location of the memory card, but using a card reader for data means you can use USB 2.0 for fast transfers. Mine was $180 and came with a car adapter. I didn't find it intuitive to learn, but I chalked that up to being new to GPSr's. The research I did indicated that the more brands of GPSr's a person had, the more respect they had for Lowrance.

Lowrance, BTW, has not only been making boat electronics for years, but also navigational equipment for airplanes and jets (as Eagle). Their foray into the "consumer" market is comparitively new in regards to its competition. Two sites, gpsnuts.com and gpsinformation.net both give Lowrance rave reviews for accuracy and reception under tree cover, as well as features and ability to store more waypoints and track points than most others in their price range, and it can accept up to a 1GB SD card. The "owners" of these sites indicate iFinder as a personal favorite for being out in the woods.

I use mine in both of my cars for street navigation, and without an external antenna. IT just sits in the middle console or on the car seat. I've dropped it a few times too, and it's still going strong. I got it right afdter it was released last June. I have also spoke with customer and technical support on the phone, and they were very helpful.

My $.02.

Edited by Lotsa Cats

on garmin vs magellan.. I don't generally think of one as being better than the other - they both have their good points and bad points. What someone buys is based on what features are important to them.

My last unit is a magellan bc I wanted it for in-car navigation as well, and the magellan's offered memory card storage and color screens at a cheaper price. The res is relatively low compared to garmin's color units.

My first unit was a Garmin Legend bc I wanted a unit for geocaching with the possibilty that I might one day put some detailed maps on it (a v. small area at a time). It had a nice small size, and felt comfortable in my small hands. The Garmin also had nicer waypoint icons than my magellan meridian.

Since the basemap could seem cluttered in black and white in some areas, I decided a color screen would be a necessity for detailed maps. Garmin has much nicer color screens (more colors, higher res** - I don't know how the new color explorist rates compared to them); but at a higher price and not much memory. (in the end, I chose lower price & memory over resolution & size).

Edited by ritzvin

do they all use serial connections rather than usb for their PC cords? i just received my meridian gold in the mail, and even though I may have read about this in other posts was a little in shock... it took me back a few years... well more than that to the time when mice were like this. i have never seen a non-usb cord for uploading to a personal device. strange.

I love my Lowrance Ifinder Pro. My friend who introduced me to Geocaching had a Garmin Legend. It was small but he liked it. I played with it for a while but wanted a bigger screen and more features. Last I checked. Lowrance has the largest screen and highest resolution of any of its competitors in the hend-held genre, and it accomplishes this by not being as large and heavy as the Magellans.

Software has not been easy for me, but I'm also new to GPSing and am getting a hang of my unit. I'm pretty fast at inserting coordinates, and like the navigating. I've not yet purchased mapping software, so frequently find myself roaming through blank areas in rural central PA. Bottom line, I'm very pleased, and feel that I got excellent back for my buck compared with both Magellan and Garmin!

-JG

Garmin is an American concern and closer to American thinking

Garmin was started by

Garmin

Garmin

Although they may be based in the Cayman Islands both Gary and Min work in Olathe Kansas. I understand from an employee that Min likes to walk around and talk to the employees in the halls.

Greetings all

My first gps was a Eagle Map Guide Pro (Lowrance) which I bought in 1997 for $600.00. The reason I bought it over any Garmin or Magellan is the fact that I could download maps to the unit and use it real time nav. As time went on I have used Magellans and Garmins as well. I found that the Map Guide Pro would blow away most Garmins or Magellans with sat lock under heavy tree cover.

I now use a Garmin 60c but if I am having an issue with sat lock then I will fire up the Map Guide Pro.

This is my own personal observations.

Baston

:) My first GPSr (and only) is a Magellan. I selected it by going to West Marine and taking it and the similar priced Garmin unit out to the parking lot. The Magellan found my location first and would indicate when I was walking around. The Garmin did NOT show me to be moving when I was walking in the parking lot. However, I might not have given it enough time to get a fix and someone might have been playing with the Magellan a few days before I got there, so had already knew where it was. In hindsight, it might not have been the best test.

I have ordered an eXplorist 600, which will be my second GPSr. Then I'll have twice as much experience with Magellan. I have traded emails with Magellan support and customer service. I didn't find them to be difficult to contact.

I would recommend that you find a retailer that will let you take the units out to the parking lot and play with them some, and purchase the unit that you find most fits your needs.

Good luck finding a retailer that will let you test them outside. West Marine did for me in 1999. REI might let you. I know that Pro-Bass didn't let me. Same with Academy sporting goods.

A store is not a good place to try out GPS units. It may be cool to look at them and see the fit and feel but if you want to try them out find some local cachers. Someone that has actually used the unit in question will have far more usefull information than a few minutes in a store parking lot. Caching season is upon us and there will soon be caching events all over the country. This has got to be the best place to see many different kinds of GPS units in action.

I've had a chance to play with several Garmin and Magellan units, and must say it really does depend on what is important to you.

Garmin is a much bigger company and has a much more extensive product line (too much so, maybe), to suit more needs, while Magellan focuses on a few and did a good job with the RoadMate and eXplorist (later ones are much better).

Aside from product line, I think that Garmin has a much better algorithm (for acquiring GPS satellites) than Magellan. Its noticeable if you compare the newest version of comparable units (ie eTrex/eXplorist, 60CS/Meridian, StreetPilot/RoadMate). I don't like how they have proprietary connectors for different units, but on the whole I feel that Garmin probably invests a lot more in R & D than Magellan does.

One gripe I have about both is their accessories. First, they are ridiculously overpriced, and secondly they are of poor quality. My GA 27C (for my 60CS) didn't improve signal much and cost me arond $75. I dont think they spend much time or effort on accessories, and I found that Gilsson external antennas are MUCH better. The case for the 60cs is also pretty nice.

I havent called Magellan for service, but Garmin has always been very responsive and helpful whenever i had an issue or question with one of their units.

So i guess I prefer Garmin just because they seem to have more resources and more focused on developing new and better GPS units than Magellan.

I own a Magellan SporTrak Pro and a Garmin 60CS. They are both excellent models. I upgraded to the 60CS because I liked the color screen and the auto routing feature. I don't think I would go back to the Magellan now because of the 60CS implementation of auto routing. I didn't know what I was missing without it. My caching time is greatly improved now that I no longer have to figure out how to get to my parking spot.

I also travel for a living and use my GPS to find motels, work locations etc. This is like having a never lost in my suitcase, and I don't have to pay the 50 a week charge to get it added to my rental car.

:ph34r:

Garmin was started by

Garmin's corporate headquarter is in Kansas. They are incorporated in Grand Cayman for tax purposes, but they are essentially an American company. R&D, customer support, warehousing and all major operations outside manufacturing are in Olathe, Kansas.