How Long Should Tb Be Held?

Pez Tonto

Wondering if there are any general guidelines on how long a TB finder should hold a TB before dropping it off in another cache. That certainly depends on a lot of circumstances , but just wondering if there are any general thoughts or guidelines.

Edited by Pez Tonto

If you hold a TB for more than 14 days, the website will make a mark next to the TB's name on your hold list. (click My Account on the GC site and then the list of TBs in your posession will be listed on the right.)

Because of that, most people consider two weeks a good amount of time to hold a bug. With that said, if you're going to keep a bug much more than that (by much more, I mean three or four weeks as opposed to something like fifteen or sixteen days), you might want to email the bug owner just to let them know your intentions - "Sorry I've kept your bug for a month, don't worry it's still safe" or "I have your geocoin, but do you mind if I hold on to it to give it to somebody who's never logged one before?" - most of the time a bug owner just wants to know their bug is safe.

Theoretically, fourteen days is the longest you should hold a TB without contacting the owner. Myself, I'll usually wait a month before contacting the person holding my bug. The winter and spring were tough. I was sick for two week. The rivers are flooding right now. I do a fair bit of caching in an urban locale (NYC) with small caches.

If an owner contacts me, I will find a cache to put his/her bug into. Many owners don't seem to pay that much attention. My caching partner was contacted by the owners of two bugs, after a month. Both bugs went into the next possible cache into which they'd fit. One has moved from NYC to California.

Theory versus reality. A month is not a long time.