South Dakota Roll Call

Milbank

I am not in South Dakota, but I review the the caches there. I am in Nebraska and cover Nebraska and the Dakotas. I have been impressed with the cachers in SD (and also NE and ND). There are a nice bunch of cachers there!

I am curious whether some of the South Dakota people are looking at forming an organization? I know there is an informal yahoo group for the black hills. I was thinking that an organized South Dakota group could be good because there are a growing number of active cachers there. So there is a good opportunity for social events and such to be planned through an organization there etc. OK, and yes, I have my own motives for urging this because I would love to attend an event there! :lol:

Also, while I know of no SD state or local park issues, I have to say that I am surprised because of the amount of national park areas in the black hills etc. Often state and local parks get involved when there are nearby National Park Service areas. I hope issues don't come up, but they could and an organization can do wonders there in avoiding park bans or working out reasonable policies.

If an organization forms or park issues come up in the future (I am keeping my fingers crossed that park issues won't arise) please let me know. I need to keep track of such things and will also assist where I can.

Thanks!

I am curious whether some of the South Dakota people are looking at forming an organization?

Yes, Yes, Yes!! B)

So there is a good opportunity for social events and such to be planned through an organization there etc.

I started thinking (last year) about holding a event cache.

Part of the reason I started the Big Stone Lake Geocaching Project.

Also, while I know of no SD state or local park issues, I have to say that I am surprised because of the amount of national park areas in the black hills etc. Often state and local parks get involved when there are nearby National Park Service areas. I hope issues don't come up, but they could and an organization can do wonders there in avoiding park bans or working out reasonable policies.

I hope issues don't come up to. I'm on the South Dakota/Minnesota boarder.

Bigstone lake is a boarder lake. On one side I can use the state park to place caches on the other side I can not. :lol:

I'm not one to speak in public or the type that could give a seminar, but I have tried to talk to the local state park manager about geocaching.

I have been down there three times with the geocaching brochure, geocaching dvd and geocaching book in hand. I wanted to talk to him about bring my sons cub scout group down to do some geocaching.

I was already for him to ask, "What's geocaching?"

I have not been able to catch him around to talk with him yet. :P

I have also been searching to see what it takes to hold a event cache.

I found some example of event caches being held in Minnesota.

When I did a search for South Dakota I did not find any taking place.

I have only meet two geocachers in my area face to face and it was a blast.

We now have each others cell phone numbers and email each other all the time.

I would really like to get together with others in the area.

I know there out there. B)

Hi Milbank - part of CLIas here - just outside Rapid City. I am in e-mail contact with another local cacher trying to get something in the works for at least an "informal" put-a-face-with-a-name event soon somewhere in the Black Hills. Being quite the professional procrastinator we are probably too late to get something put in place for CITO, but hopefully soon we can have something planned. Hope I can figure out how to post it as an event in the calendar on GC.com, and plan to personally e-mail folks who have placed a cache in the area. Hello again Electric Mouse and thanks for the quick action on reactivating that cache I e-mailed you about. Later - CLIas

Hi Milbank - part of CLIas here - just outside Rapid City. I am in e-mail contact with another local cacher trying to get something in the works for at least an "informal" put-a-face-with-a-name event soon somewhere in the Black Hills. Being quite the professional procrastinator we are probably too late to get something put in place for CITO, but hopefully soon we can have something planned. Hope I can figure out how to post it as an event in the calendar on GC.com, and plan to personally e-mail folks who have placed a cache in the area. Hello again Electric Mouse and thanks for the quick action on reactivating that cache I e-mailed you about. Later - CLIas

To post an event and get it on the calendar use the same submission form that you do for regular caches. The pull down menu for cache type will allow you to choose an event as a cache type. Use the coordinates for the meeting place and set the date frame for the date of the event. Don't forget to put the time in the description (I did that once, oops!). Also note that the guidelines were recently changed to require 2 weeks notice, so submit early. Early submission is also good to allow people to make plans to attend. I recommend aiming for a month to 6 weeks ahead of time. When it is listed, it will automatically be added to the calendar, so you don't need to do anything special for that. Feel free to email me if you have questions or need assistance.

I have also been searching to see what it takes to hold a event cache.

I found some example of event caches being held in Minnesota.

When I did a search for South Dakota I did not find any taking place.

I don't know of any previous SD events. As long as your event is by cachers and for cachers and not soliciting anything, it should be OK. Basically just read the guidelines. Good events in Nebraska have run the range from informal lunches or dinners to pot-lucks in a park with extra temporary event caches added, to CITOs, to a lunch time pot-luck followed by an evening campout and bonfire with over 10 event caches set out and various prizes. It can be as complex or simple as you desire and have time to plan. I think an event at Big Stone Lake would be great, especially since you have set out so many caches there. You could always plan a daytime event there with an evening campfire for people who camp. You could set out more temporary event caches or not. That would be your choice. Some like those and others are happy with existing permanent caches or just socializing. Personally I tend to socialize at events so much that I miss half of the event caches!

Anyway, list it and they will come. They always do! If you have questions about anything with event planning or about forming an organization feel free to email me. :o

Milbank - thanks for the post. We're out of Sioux Falls and maintain three easy cache's here in town. When were not chasing our kids we like to go out hunting caches.

I like the idea of a SD event. We've been remodeling a cabin on the MN side of Big Stone and need a good excuse to get out and find a few of more of the local caches.

Keep us in mind. In8 Hunters (sdgundog@sio.midco.net)

In8 Hunters

Hi,

I looked at your profile and see I found your Bullwinkle's Bed cache.

I remember doing that one like it was just yesterday, lots of fun.

I see you found some of my caches too, cool.

Next time we are in Sioux Falls I'm going to make sure to look for you other ones.

We've been remodeling a cabin on the MN side of Big Stone and need a good excuse to get out and find a few of more of the local caches.

I do a lot of work around the lake and have probably been by your cabin many times.

Keep us in mind.

Will do, thanks.

Edited by Milbank
I'm in Pierre. I probably won't show up for a cache event. I'm a caching loner. I'm even trying to work up an article for Today's Cacher about the magic of caching alone.

But if you go to one you would get a new event cache icon in your user stats. :(

How far do you think people would drive to come to a South Dakota event?

What would be a good location in the state to hold the event at?

Edited by Milbank
:( my wife and i are new to caching and would love to get together with others in the rapid city area. --so many questions

dakota duo

Hi and Welcome,

You guys in Rapid City are so lucky.

All them caches in the black hills. :)

I'm on the other side of the state, but feel free to pm or email me with any questions.

These forums are a great place to get help too.

I'm based in Black Hawk. Like 1Setter, I probably would not participate in group caching activities. Much as I enjoy communicating with other cachers in cyberspace, the main reason I go into the woods is to enjoy the solitude there, and caching has helped me find more places to enjoy the serenity of nature. That said, I would encourage all of you with a more social bent to organize; public activities can only improve the general image of the hobby.

Hey SKYCOP,

Glad to have you join in.

I see your a cop. :laughing:

I'm going to talk with one of our local cops about geocaching as I think it's something he maybe interested in. If not maybe the word will get around to the other cops so they at least now what geocaching.

I'm going to have to work my way down to your area sometime. :lol:

Thanks for joining in.

I am curious whether some of the South Dakota people are looking at forming an organization? I know there is an informal yahoo group for the black hills. I was thinking that an organized South Dakota group could be good because there are a growing number of active cachers there. So there is a good opportunity for social events and such to be planned through an organization there etc.

I was looking to join www.geommunity.net to get some advice on starting a group.

I got a email back saying "Your Application is being processed" and they need to know my groups name and my role in the group.

I have not started a group yet and I was hoping to join there group so I could read there forums and get some idea what it's going to take to get a group started.

I emailed them telling them this but have not heard anything back.

Maybe I need to start with a name?

Anyone want to give me some idea's?

Something I can register as a .com name.

I have been searching register.com to see what is not taken yet and have come up with some idea's, but everything get to be so long. For example SouthDakotaGeocaching.com

How about sdgeocaching.com?

Edited to add some more name idea's

geocachingsd.com

dakotageocaching.com

Edited by Milbank

Saw the link in Milbank's post for the SD Roll Call and thought I would chime in. We're actually in Prescott, AZ and have been for about six months now, but both Betsy and my families live in Belle Fourche and the surrounding areas. We grew up and graduated from high school in Belle. We have a cache located around Deadwood, the Sugarloaf Cache. We haven't been back to SD for a while, and don't know if we'll be able to make it up this summer, but I sure miss it!