Utm Or Lat-long Which Do You Prefer?

cargodog

As a Pilot I use GPS a lot with lat-long and as a hiker/outdoors type, I have been using UTM with my topo maps. So I was curious do you prefer to use Lat-Long or UTM. UTM seems more friendly once you understand it. So I just wanted to hear other opinions.

Last summer I took a beginning GPS class at REI and we leaned UTM for use with topo maps, but since then I've been doing more geocaching and seem that LL is easier as you don't have to convert to UTM. At this stage everything is confusing so I feel more comfortable with LL until I get more experience.

If you're spotting your location on a paper map than UTM is very helpful. Of cpourse you have to draw the 1000 meter grids.

IF you're using software like National Geographic than the program will spot the point on the map regardless of the position format.

What's nice about NG Topo is if you don't want UTM you set up their software for DD DDDDD or dd mm.mmm or as shown below the traditional dd.mm.ss. Then you can set up the grids however you want. This one is at 15 second intervals.

c0fc952f-8cfe-46a6-9127-90f792002e7a.jpg

Edited by Alan2

Drawing the lines is a pain. When I first got into caching I bought a base plate compass, a bunch of paper quads, a large steel ruler and 1 or 2 mm art pens and spent hours drawing the lines. Then you have to take the large paper maps with you.

With NG you can print out just the area your hiking in and stick it in your pocket. NG also has special non-rip, waterprof paper that will last for ever. It's about 75 cents a page but you can print both sides. If you have a Pocket PC you can save the Topo file into the PPC and have it electronically for display on the trail. Attach your GPS to the PPC and you can see your exact position on the NG map. The PPC will give a similar version of the elevation for the route as shown above on the regular Topo display/printout.

Unfortunately, NG doesn't alow transfer of waypoint into your PPC only the maps and routes. You can however create the waypoints one at a time and have a kind of "go to".

If you like messing around with topo maps, NG Topo or one of the other similar programs will be a hoot for you.

I prefer to use UTM for backcountry hiking and geocaching. Many of the USGS maps now have UTM coordiantes and/or lines. The Shenandoah National Park maps also have UTM coordinates marked on them. I use a UTM corner ruler in preparing for goecaching and during the hunt. I often can locate the cache without a GPS unit this way. My Garmins easily switch to UTM. I also set my compass for UTM to avoid any conversions in the field. The NG program sure looks nice.

I also set my compass for UTM to avoid any conversions in the field.

Now how do you set a compass to UTM, they are either True or Magnetic. I believe the difference was Magnetic (Field Bearing) and True (Map Bearing).

I use a Suunto M3 most of the time.

"The M-3 is a top rank compass with a large liquid filled capsule and sapphire jeweled bearing. The compass features a serrated bezel ring, which is easy to turn even in cold weather when wearing gloves. The M-3 has an adjustable declination correction scale."

At the bottom of USGS quad maps is the declination diagram. It shows true, GN (grid north) and MN (magnetic north). A local map quad, Swift Run Gap, VA shows a GM (grid/magnetic) angle of 11 degrees. You adjust the declination on the compass to match GN just like you would MN.