High Tech Binoculars With Gps

Ok dont start laughing yet. I either dreamed this or saw it for real on this site or maybe elsewhere.

New Binoculars with built in gps receiver that when locked on to signal

would indicate map features one was looking at. By adding cordinates to an onboard map you could sight in on a mountain peak for example and read the name of that map feature superimposed on the viewing area.

If I did dream this up I want credit for it. If not.. tell me more. Would that be just the coolest thing you ever owned??

Wingryder

I think that a couple months ago, someone mistakingly thought that they were considering a GPS enabled pair of binoculars. After further review by forum readers, it turned out that they didn't actually have any GPS features.

Would be a cool toy though. I'm sure it won't be too long before we all have them.

Perhaps not quite as cool but,, I've seen binoculars that incorporate a laser rangfinder. A superimposed digital readout within the binocular view tells you how far away that thing your looking at is.

Add GPS to that? I suppose it's possible, but would there be a market for such a unique device?

Actually there is something like this (although I don't know the name). I think it had a electronic compass in it to know the direction you were looking, it was a pricey little bugger too.

Wyatt W.

Steiner has a whole range of binoculars with a compass reticle. Tasco also makes one...it's around $230. Great for use offshore, but that's about it. The compass just obscures too much of the viewing area for use on-land, except for deserts.