Putting Members On A Watchlist?

Milbank

I think it would be cool if I could put a member on a watch list like you can a cache or TB.

I like to keep checking on geocachers in my area to see if they have been logging anything new.

It would be great if I could put a member on a watch list and get a email like the cache owner does when the member I'm watching logs a cache.

Would anyone else like to be able to do this or I'm I just a sicko? :D

Ive heard rumors of such a function in the possible planning stages.

In order to put an individual cacher on your watchlist, they would have to first consent. Either party could later withdraw consent if they so choose.

A sicko? No, I think correct term is 'stalker'. :D

But I think this idea has merit. When some of my cacher friends go on a trip, I sometimes follow their trips online while I languish in my office by periodically browsing their stats page. It would actually be nice to just sit back and wait to be notified as they log their activities.

(YOSHI!!!)

I have some geo-friends I would like to "watch" and who would also like to be able to share in my geo-adventures; however, I believe it should be necessary to have permission before adding a cacher to your watch list. Maybe even a way of setting a "no to all" or "yes to all" permission preference?

:D

Team Snorkasaurus

Well, looking at boomhwr653's avatar I can understand why he is afraid of the government. I

I think the idea is good and should have no restrictions or the whole permission thing. If I want to see what someone has been doing I can go to their web page and check anytime I want. It's not like I would expect to find them at the place that I just got an email about (unless they were wapping). So what's the big deal. It would be kind of neat to put a couple of the local Geo gods on a watch list to see what they are doing.

I think the idea is good and should have no restrictions or the whole permission thing. If I want to see what someone has been doing I can go to their web page and check anytime I want.

I don't see the point of restrictions.

Putting them on a watch list would just be a easier way of seeing what they are finding for caches.

Like the OP said, you can go to there stats page and view the same thing anytime without them knowing your watching them.

A person's profile would only give you thier finds. Would the watchlist also give you notes and DNF's?

That could be made a option for each cacher you put on your watch list.

You could pick if you wanted to have there notes and DNF's emailed to you or just there finds.

<snip>You could pick if you wanted to have there notes and DNF's emailed to you or just there finds.

Then I guess it would be different then just viewing thier profile. I can imagine some folks would not post DNF's if they knew they were being advertised. In a perfect world, it wouldn't be a problem. But we live in this world.

I would put my vote in for a watchlist for users, but give folks the opportunity to disable it so they can't be watched. You get a lot more info about it, such as those that log finds over thier cell phones as they find them ,then you know about where they are at, and possibly even anticipate thier next cache based on thier last few caches.

Based on the time they make thier log entries, then you get an idea of thier lifestyle (because you will have an approxiamate based on date/time of the e-mail). Yes, you can have a bulk list sent at the end of each day, but that is making things a bit complicated for something that boils down to just curiosity.

There's a lot of implications with this option, it needs to be thought out thuroughly.

Make it an OPT IN option instead of an OPT OUT option. It's one thing when you visit my profile to see what I've logged, it's entirely different to monitor my caching details and habits. If in my opinion it's none of your business, then I and other users should be allowed to say NO to your over-my-shoulder monitoring. Even better, make it so the cache hunter also has the right to say YEA or NAY to being added to a watch list even when they are Opted IN and build in the ability to block that person out at will. Same concept as what Messenger uses to allow for control over one's perception of privacy.

User A sends a friend request. Will you be my friend?

User B receives friends request. Has the option to ignore, or say yes or no

User B says yes. A mutual friendship has occured.

User A or B can now watch each other. Either side can sever the friendship at any time.

Sounds like online dating. :lol:

OK... back on topic...

Is this still in the works? It sounded like the coding was almost done.

And.. thanks for the link Mr. Hemlock. Always nice to have history lessons for us newbies, gets us inline with was discussed in past...

Sounds like online dating. B)

Hmmm... I can see some nice problems down the line as "couples" "break up"...

Right now, if I want to follow someone, I can check their profile whenever I like. If I was "watching" them, and then they "revoked" me, they'd probably want me to stop doing that as well.

Remember, when you open a can of worms, you need a bigger can to get them all back in...