2-way Radio

Hozho

Hello to all of you out there.

I would like to get a couple of 2-Way Radios, but i do not no anything about them.

Best Buy has two on sale, one is the Midland 2- Way radio with charge, says it can have a 10 mile range. (GXT325VP) 6345662 model numbers, the front of the radio are Yellow. a pair.

The next one is the Motorola 2-Way radio with charger and says up to a 5 mile range and you get a Free Earbud with it, hands free capable plus VibeCall Alert.

the Model numbers are (T6500R) 6363614.

Thanks to all of you for your time and effort in this matter.

Hozho.

Hi, neither one will give you the advertised range...those ranges are under ideal conditions, with no intervening terrain. In actual use you can expect half to a third of what they claim, and under some conditions, less than that.

You might want to look into HAM radio. The beginning license requires a fairly easy 35 question multiple choice test, and no longer requires learning morse code. With that license you can use more powerful radios, and also use repeaters which will extend your range. Depending on location and terrain, you can actually get distances of 50-75 miles using a repeater. There is a HAM radio sub-forum here, so you might want to read some of the threads on that and get some ideas there.

Hope that helps.

Hank

Both of those radios are GMRS/FRS combo radios. The Midland can transmit at 3 watts on the GMRS frequencies and the Motorola can transmit at 1 watt. Either unit can only transmit at 0.5 watts on the FRS only frequencies. Because they are GMRS/FRS combo units, they must qualify for FRS type acceptance with the FCC, which means they must use the FRS antenna. This antenna is the biggest limiting factor in range.

What this boils down to is the range figures given by the manufacturers are greatly exaggerated. You might possibly get 10 miles range with the Midlands if you are standing on top of a mountain and your partner is standing on top of a mountain 10 miles away with nothing in between. In reality, you can expect about 0.5 miles range on the FRS and about 1 mile on GMRS. This varies greatly with the terrain and what kind of obstacles are in the way.

If 0.5 to 1 mile range works for you, then either of these radios is probably a great deal. I would lean towards the Motorola because of the accessories. The difference between 1 watt and 3 watts won't mean much in transmit range, but your batteries will drain 3 times faster at 3 watts. Most of the time I use a pair of Cobra FRS only radios when geocaching. We rarely get split up by more than a few hundred yards so FRS works just fine.

Please note, however, that to use the GMRS channels, you must get a license from the FCC. That costs $80 for 5 years but is good for your whole family.

If you don't want to get a GMRS license, there are FRS only radios out there. The

ICOM 4088a gets great reviews. It has the best (and largest) antenna available, which helps maximize range.

There are GMRS only radios that can accept an external antenna which can greatly increase range. They can also work with repeaters if there are any in your area. The ICOM F21GM is often recommend as an entry level "Real" GMRS radio.

Another option is a MURS radio. MURS radios use VHF frequencies which travel better through trees (GMRS and FRS use UHF frequencies, which are absorbed by trees and groundcover.) The only MURS radio currently available in retail that I am aware of is the MURS Alert. I have heard reports of 2 miles range with these handhelds.

The last option is to get a HAM license. The technician exam doesn't require morse code, you can study a few hours and pass the test. There are a variety of options available in HAM radio in UHF and VHF with a vast network of repeaters. The downside of HAM is that every user has to pass the test and get a license.

I know this is probably way more information than you needed. Since this topic comes up a lot, and I had done a bunch of research, I figured I would take the time to write it down. I'm sure many other people have the same questions.

Somehow I get the impression you are looking for something simple.

I have a pair of Cobra Micro Talk radios (model FRS 110). Push to talk, 18 channels, with a tone/call button. Very simple, reliable..don't remember the range we have experienced. I believe our longest was approximately a mile in a wooded area. They cost about $45 for the pair. I also learned that the channels do not correspond to typical citizen's band radios....(which I was hoping for) Because I have a large base unit which I hoped to use with them.

Only one bad experience with them while mushroom hunting. My wife once told me on air, "I love you" and some stranger on the next hill said "Love you too" :rolleyes:

I believe all that fancy equipment is great if you plan on making that a hobby too, but if your just geocaching, perhaps simplest is best.

Edited by Two Humans and a Dog

I have a pair of Audiovox frs/gmrs. Used mostly when my cache partner and I 'choose' to take a little different search for the cache. I do not expect them to be used for any long range. Also have them for safety. If one of us was injured neither could carry the other out. At least some contact can be maintained while the other gets help. Not relying on them anymore than that.

Hello to all of you out there.

I would like to get a couple of 2-Way Radios, but i do not no anything about them.

Best Buy has two on sale, one is the Midland 2- Way radio with charge, says it can have a 10 mile range. (GXT325VP) 6345662 model numbers, the front of the radio are Yellow. a pair.

The next one is the Motorola 2-Way radio with charger and says up to a 5 mile range and you get a Free Earbud with it, hands free capable plus VibeCall Alert.

the Model numbers are (T6500R) 6363614.

Thanks to all of you for your time and effort in this matter.

Hozho.

We have two sets of the radios you referenced from Best Buy. We got them in December and my kids with their friends use them constantly while out about the neighborhood. Still working good here.

I bought a pairof Motorola 9250's (FRS/GMRS 1 watt) for abotu $50 with coupon recently. OF course you need the FMRS license. One nice thing about this model is you get a NOAA emerg channel for weather reports. Talkabouts walkie talkies

But others are proably right. If you only need it once in a while for casual use, the FRS withpout the license is good enough.

I notice that with my 1 wat in the woods here around New York you get about 1/4 to 1/2 mile if you're lucky. The trees really kills the transmission.

I have a pair of Uniden FRS/GMRS radios that I picked up at Walmart. The reason I purchased these is that they have the NOAA channels in it also. You can set it to monitor for weather alerts or if the sky starts looking bad, you flip on the weather channel and listen for yourself.

My experience with FRS and GMRS is pretty disappointing. Tree cover and/or even a gentle 15 foot tall hill between the recievers is enough to virtually gaurantee no signal. Of course I live in an area of hills, gullies and arroyos. I am sure they general work better on level terrian. I stick to my Ham radio (I've had a license for 14 years now.

I agree with the Ham recommendation. The "RS" bands are frankly too weak and too crowded to do much good, unless you are talking among yourselves at very close range.

By comparison, a simple Technician license (one exam, public question pool, no morse-code) gives you access to 2-meters and 440 mHz, where you can not only find a "private spot" to talk, but you can also use repeaters.

Repeaters are similar to those cell-phone towers you see everywhere these days. They sit on top of mountains, listen on one channel, and rebroadcast what they hear on another channel... from their mountaintop location, and at their power (which might be 100 watts or more). You simply set your handheld to listen to the right channel and talk on the right channel when you key the mike, and now you are effectively "talking from on top of the mountain." So you can be geocaching during a camping trip and be in constant contact with your base-campers... in places where a cell-phone won't work and a FRS/GMRS radio can't go the distance. It's a good, practical, communications medium.

Edited by HIPS-meister

My advice would be to avoid the combo radios. If you don't want to spend the money for a GMRS radio, get the cheapest FRS you can find, it'll likely do as well as any other FRS.

If you're going to spend the money on a GMRS license, why deal with the limitations of the combo radios? Get a good GMRS radio with a good antenna.

what channels on FRS do cachers use?  i remember reading that there is a main and a backup... can't find the post again.  Thanks.

Joe

At the very bottom of the FAQ page you will find the quote below which answers your question.

Do you have an FRS/PMR channel to find out if other Geocachers are in the area?

Yes. The community has decided on channel 2 as the primary for both FRS and PMR, and 12 as the alternate FRS (Family Radio Service) channel and 8 for the alternate PMR (Europe). FRS and PMR radios are longer distance walkie talkies, like the Motorola Talkabout.