Why "place" Virtuals?

OK, Sax, so what's the right answer?  Why do geocachers place virtuals?  What's the perfect solution, as you see it? <_<  B)

The "perfect solution" as virtuals exist on this site now, is that virtuals are not allowed as a first choice in placing a cache. The idea behind this site is to place containers hidden from Muggle view. The first choice when placing a cache should always be that.

If the site can not support a physical cache, and the site is interesting enough to bring other cachers to, then it could be a candidate for a virtual.

SO why doe it bother you ??????

Why do you care, you have the ignore feature????

You don't hav to do them!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay if you want the true spirit of geocaching then you can only hide 5 gallon guckes non of theus micro ammo cans.

cheers

OK, Sax, so what's the right answer?  Why do geocachers place virtuals?  What's the perfect solution, as you see it? <_<  B)

The "perfect solution" as virtuals exist on this site now, is that virtuals are not allowed as a first choice in placing a cache. The idea behind this site is to place containers hidden from Muggle view. The first choice when placing a cache should always be that.

If the site can not support a physical cache, and the site is interesting enough to bring other cachers to, then it could be a candidate for a virtual.

Practically speaking, that's the way it is now, and we're all anticipating the new virtual section of this website, which hopefully will appear any day now. So what's all the fluff?

Someone please shoot this horse; the sounds of it dying are horrendous.

B):)

Practically speaking, that's the way it is now, and we're all anticipating the new virtual section of this website, which hopefully will appear any day now. So what's all the fluff?

Someone please shoot this horse; the sounds of it dying are horrendous.

B):)

No it isn't! Don't you see? If that's the way the site really was, we wouldn't hear comments like, "I saw something today and wanted to make it a virtual cache." We should only hear it as "I saw something today and wanted to place a cache there, I wonder where I could hide one."

See the difference? That's what this thread is about.

Yes!

The idea behind a geocache is to hide something from Muggles so that only geocachers find it....

See, there's the thing. You have defined what geocaching is to you, not how everyone sees the game.

To me, the idea behind a geocache is that I am taken to a place that I may not otherwise find. For me, it is getting out of the house and experiencing what the cache owner meant for me to experience; accepting the gift, if you will.

The box is secondary to me and always has been.

My turn.

I have a virt in downtown san francisco. I 'found' it. It pretty much had to be a virt because the tall buildings screen out all but 1 sat at any given time of day. There's noplace I would try to hide a cache 'nearby', because you're either there or you're not. Also, there's lots of security in the area so poking around in the bushes (san's reception to boot) would be asking for trouble.

The NorthEastern part of San Francisco is decommissioned military land taken over by the NPS. No physical caches are allowed, even though the area is incredibly scenic. (golden gate bridge, land's end, seal rocks, ocean beach, etc.) There are some grandfathered physical caches there, but otherwise, what'cha gonna do?

That said, I have around 60 other caches placed, all physical and, I hope, most worthwhile.

Virtuals are not "a whole different game". They are a different cache hiding technique, and there is a place for it if done properly and within the current quality guidelines.

Well, one rather cynical, but entirely plausible, reason might be that virtual caches create very little demand for microcache capsules, fake rocks, cache labels, TB tags, etc.  Bandwidth is expensive, you know ...

If this were true, then why has Groundspeak invested a year's worth of programming resources into a new game that won't involve cache containers, labels or travel bugs?

A "year's worth of programming resources?" That's interesting, but doesn't really say much ... it certainly doesn't negate the statement you quoted.

Of one thing I am sure: Like any business, Groundspeak needs to generate revenue simply in order to survive (not to mention grow.) It is therefore unlikely that Groundspeak (or any other small company) would devote the time and resources necessary to developing a "new game" without a reasonable expectation of profit.

So despite your intention, your response appears to support my earlier statement.

Virtual cache do have a place in geocaching. As others have mentioned, they exist in areas where a physical cache can't feasibily exist.

IMO virtual caches need to be restricted.

Some folks don't do them because they don't like them. Some people despise them as much as micros.

It's all up to what you like.