You Found What Near The Cache?

Lostby7

Four semi-unusual finds:

1) A five dollar bill at GZ of a cache!

2) 10 deer carcasses dumped in a ditch at GZ. Glad I was there when it was still fairly cold. Blegh!

3) A cell phone on the side of the street (in a not-so-good neighborhood.) The first thought that crossed my mind was that a drug dealer ditched it. There were three numbers in the contact list. The first was disconnected. The second said she had no idea who's number it was. Left a message with the third and he called me back. I met up with him and he said it was in his uncle's truck that was stolen.

4) Cache was placed after I found these items but... There is a lake nearby my hometown with an island in the middle. On the island we found a shovel and a machete. Kinda freaky!

Edit:Remembered third item

Edit:Added fourth. Done now, I swear.

Edited by jenny08_1015

I have looked it up in the dictionary and it should be a grass snake.

The Austrian word would be "Ringelnatter" :grin:

It is not venomous. I was just looking for the cache GCKDC9 where you have to cross a small stream at a fountain.

Suddenly I saw something at my feet and it was this snake which had caught the fish.

Then it was swallowing it and I could take lots of photos and was only inches away.

I guess that's something you don't see twice in life.

Edited by Fjordi

Kittens! Two of them! I still have them and they are free to a good home if anyone is interested!

We got out of our car and there were two little kittens about 5 weeks old. Raining and miserable out that day and the kittens were used to people so we brought them home.

We were out on our first official hunt (my hubby & I)...we couldn't find our first actual geocache, but I found tons of trash...including a bike tire.

Doesn't it make it hard to find geocaches when there is junk around? It could be in anything, right? How do you know it's not in something weird like a bike tire?

We were out on our first official hunt (my hubby & I)...we couldn't find our first actual geocache, but I found How do you know it's not in something weird like a bike tire?

I have in fact found a geocache in a bike tire....well a bike tube to be specific.

One the way to a cache...

gcht1t.jpg

It had to have been left there not too long before I found it as it was clean, there was no standing water in it, etc.

I thought about CITOing it out, but I didn't have room for it, nor did I have a place I could have disposed of it.

Did you sign the log?

You found what near your cache?!?

Well..... My 3 friends and I found a dead body..

I recieved a GPS from my parents for my birthday two months ago, so the day after my birthday my friend and i headed out. We go and find a cache at a church and my friends INSIST that we go look for this cache about .1mi away, even though it hasn't been found in over 10 months! So I give in and we drive the short distance to a neighborhood entrance sign which is about .1mi away for the neighborhood itself. There are tones of cedar trees lining the back of the sign, so we immediately start searching the trees, when all of a sudden we watch my friend slowly back out of the trees, slightly shooken up. "I think there's a body in there", she tells us. I immediately think that she is talking about a homeless person just sleeping there, even though we don't have many homeless people roaming the streets. I quickly want to leave them alone and justmove onto another cache. But of course before we leave we want to take a look at this "hobo". We all seem to see the same thing at the same time.... the green aura of the skin. This is when we all start breathing deeply, shake, and some even cried. We whip out our phone and call the cops. Within tem minutes the whole area was cautioned taped off with probably 6 cop cars, an ambulance, and fire truck. We end up staying there for another 2.5 hours waiting for the investigator to come and ask us questions. In the mean time we filled out witness statements and tried to comfort eachother...

Here is a link to the story in the newspaper with a picture of the area:

http://www.planostar.com/articles/2010/06/...n/cops/9930.txt

And here is the news release:

http://cityofallen.org/SiteContent/56/docu...ed%20Person.pdf

Took a little coaxing to get back into geocaching for all of us. It was rough.. No one believed us when we would tell them. This was probably the scariest moment of my life. But I feel fairly good about it all because not many people would have seen the body unless they were looking for the cache and since the cache has had no activity in over a year, not even cachers would find it. I feel we were drawn here to find her and let her be buried properly and to end the worrying of her kin.

-CulinaryActor

Found a truck bed cover with a can of Pepsi sitting on top of it, out in a grassy field. Here's the log entry from that day: Strange find.

Other than that, I've found a variety of animal remains, including a possum, something in a trash bag, birds, several hogs...the usual. One cache search took us a little too close to a hobo camp. That's about it so far.

--Q

yesterday we found an unopened bottle of booze hidden in a hollow log close to GZ. it had spiderwebs on it, so obviously it's been there for a while. haven't tasted it yet!

50 meters further there was full can of (chewing?) tobacco hidden in a tree stump. not sure what's going on in those woods...

oh and we didn't find the cache.

Been interested in Geocaching for some time now.

Just only recently started to get active and participate.

I live on the eastern coast of Australia near to the largest sand island (Fraser Island) in the world.

I went out to find my very first cache and nearby I saw a goanna (large lizard) climbing up a tree.

Took some photos on my mobile phone to add to my album and to share with others.

12072010330.jpg

12072010331.jpg

Edited by greenbeest

My geodog and I were about 100 yards into the woods off a well-maintained trail when she tried to dive into a pile of #2. I had to jump quickly to grab her collar and yank her back from getting herself filthy. I didn't think much of it; animals do that from time to time to cover themselves in the scent. Fortunately I caught her in time as on the way back we saw a recently used hobo camp and realized she would have been covered in human doo-doo. Yuk. I don't know how I would have gotten her home in my car!

my sister hfam3 was trying to find the last part to a puzzle cache when she came across two teenage girls smoking, later when she was closing in on the cache she saw smoke, she walked a bit further and saw a small forest fire! she had a water bottle with her and quickly put out the flames and found a used cigarette where the fire looked like it started! she found the end of the cache and went back to see where the girls where but they were gone so it was pointless to call the cops, but if my sister hadnt been geocaching that day there would have been a pretty bad forest fire!

Still pretty new, but one cache was near an old, flipped over, rusted out, car. Really neat. Had a look around the car until I realized I wasn't the only one there. Needless to say, I saw a lot of rat feces in that car. :( My only guess is at some point years ago it was washed down there and ended up, upsides down, because it seemed like I was in a wash, but was difficult to tell.

I am new yet, but the strangest thing I found was a newer looking 21 speed mountian bike, not locked up, laying behind an old brick wall in a part of the city that was demolished a few years ago, so no houses or anything nearby.

My first thought was it was stolen, and dumped there. I kept looking around to make sure no one was going to jump me. Might have been some kids in a bush somewhere doing who knows what. :)

I got bothered by mormons at a GZ the other day. I left not wanting them to get ahold of the cache

Being from Utah, if I let mormons bother me away from a cache, I'd never get any finds...

I don't see why it matters if they were mormons or perceived by you to be mormons.

I got bothered by mormons at a GZ the other day. I left not wanting them to get ahold of the cache

Being from Utah, if I let mormons bother me away from a cache, I'd never get any finds...

I don't see why it matters if they were mormons or perceived by you to be mormons.

Maybe they were Geek Squad Agents out Geocaching on their lunch break :)

My geodog and I were about 100 yards into the woods off a well-maintained trail when she tried to dive into a pile of #2. I had to jump quickly to grab her collar and yank her back from getting herself filthy. I didn't think much of it; animals do that from time to time to cover themselves in the scent. Fortunately I caught her in time as on the way back we saw a recently used hobo camp and realized she would have been covered in human doo-doo. Yuk. I don't know how I would have gotten her home in my car!

Ever see the movie Vacation?

Yes, I am kidding :)

Not particularly weird but then I've only been doing this for a short while. Anyway from a DNF I logged today:

Searched for this one for quite some time. Poked the tip of my walking stick into one of the more likely looking (to me, anyway) hiding spots and had a chipmunk shoot out the other end. I think he was swearing at me but he was moving too fast for me to be sure. Will try again with some different maps.

*A big beer-bellied shirtless guy pushing a shopping cart far from any store (near a wooded roadside) just as it was starting to rain. And he was not really going anywhere...and was possibly mumbling to himself.

*Three toads hunkered inside a standing PVC pipe during the hottest part of a Florida summer day. Every time I took their picture with flash, they crept a little closer, for some odd reason.

*A banyan tree named "Boris" with a big sign written in first-person telling the kids (in a really long-winded way) not to break branches.

*A guy at the mini golf course who took one look at my friend and I, then asked, "Are you geocaching?"

No offense was meant, it just amused me that instead of knocking on my door they appoached me in a park.

They had their badges on that had the name of a nearby mormon church. Its funny cuz it was random, not because they are mormons.

Edited by DannyCaffeine