You Found What Near The Cache?

Lostby7

I decided to go after GCGE6B Door County Challenge on 9-2. It is a 4 part multi. While bushwhacking to wp #1, I noticed something hidden in the leaves. Did I just stumble upon the final, an ammo can? Oh lucky me. As I began to uncover the ammo can, I thought, man, I've never seen one this big. It was about 2x2x3 feet. It is then that I realize that this was not an ammo can. It was a safe hidden in the woods. I really don't think that this is supposed to be here now is it. So I gave the boys in blue a call and waited. 2 officers showed up and the detectives were on the way. Seems a burglary occured on 7-11 in ellison bay and a floor safe was taken from a local restaurant. I had to go to Sturgeon Bay to get fingerprinted so they could exclude me from any prints found on the safe. I had my CSI moment. It was a pretty neat day all in all. The things you find in the woods. Another item added to my list. The burglars should have brought a geocacher with them to show them how to hide something in plain sight. Overall I'd give this a 1.5 on dificulty and a 2 on terrain. Now how do I log this as a find on the biggest ammo can ever.

2b20329a-3daa-4cb9-b3a5-855e65f2a582.jpg

5c4bd397-d334-423e-9c3c-05696740087b.jpg

I decided to go after GCGE6B Door County Challenge on 9-2. It is a 4 part multi. While bushwhacking to wp #1, I noticed something hidden in the leaves. Did I just stumble upon the final, an ammo can? Oh lucky me. As I began to uncover the ammo can, I thought, man, I've never seen one this big. It was about 2x2x3 feet. It is then that I realize that this was not an ammo can. It was a safe hidden in the woods. I really don't think that this is supposed to be here now is it. So I gave the boys in blue a call and waited. 2 officers showed up and the detectives were on the way. Seems a burglary occured on 7-11 in ellison bay and a floor safe was taken from a local restaurant. I had to go to Sturgeon Bay to get fingerprinted so they could exclude me from any prints found on the safe. I had my CSI moment. It was a pretty neat day all in all. The things you find in the woods. Another item added to my list. The burglars should have brought a geocacher with them to show them how to hide something in plain sight. Overall I'd give this a 1.5 on dificulty and a 2 on terrain. Now how do I log this as a find on the biggest ammo can ever.

Wow, sounds like quite an adventure you had! :D

Did you ever find the nearby cache? B)

Well cacher's, about the strangest thing I have encountered was a man standing on a hill above me with some type of gardeners troll in the Kisatchie NF,I spoke he would not answer I am guessing I was near his pot patch. I abandoned my search and began to head for the truck only to have this scroungy looking fellow follow me staying about a hundred yards behind me all the way to the truck. Once I made it to the truck I grabed my side arm and waited to see if he was going to come all the way out of the woods , I never saw him again but I now carry my pistol in full view when ever I am caching out side of town. I don't consider my self a gun nut but the safety of myself and my loved ones is a priority .

Edited by porkchop401

While driving and geocaching around Lake Superior we found an unresponsive homeless man on the trail in the Two Harbors, MN area. Called 911 and left for the next cache which was close enough to hear two sirens about ten minutes apart.

A few days later in the same trip we found a rotting moose.

Oh, the things you'd miss if you weren't geocaching. ;)

The other day I was searching for a cache at night at the end of a dead end road. I see something black and red with my flashlight and go around to see what it was. It turned out to be a duffle bag which was zipped up. I could tell that there was something in it and curiosity got the best of me so I had to open it. Inside was a lock box which had been broken into filled with jewelry boxes, all full. There was another jewelry box with a bunch of necklaces and rings as well. Included in one of the boxes was a diamond engagement ring that looked to be about 2 karats! There was also a locket with the word "Mom" on the outside and photos of her and her children inside. I put the treasure in my Jeep, finished finding the cache, and headed off to the police station. Hopefully, they will reunite the woman with her stolen jewelry.

Are you sure it was stolen loot?

Some cachers would have considered it SWAG and traded for a used golf ball or bottle cap.

While driving and geocaching around Lake Superior we found an unresponsive homeless man on the trail in the Two Harbors, MN area. Called 911 and left for the next cache which was close enough to hear two sirens about ten minutes apart.

A few days later in the same trip we found a rotting moose.

Oh, the things you'd miss if you weren't geocaching. ;)

You left a human being who was experiencing medical problems just to look for a cache?

You better hope Karma is just a fable.

The other day I was searching for a cache at night at the end of a dead end road. I see something black and red with my flashlight and go around to see what it was. It turned out to be a duffle bag which was zipped up. I could tell that there was something in it and curiosity got the best of me so I had to open it. Inside was a lock box which had been broken into filled with jewelry boxes, all full. There was another jewelry box with a bunch of necklaces and rings as well. Included in one of the boxes was a diamond engagement ring that looked to be about 2 karats! There was also a locket with the word "Mom" on the outside and photos of her and her children inside. I put the treasure in my Jeep, finished finding the cache, and headed off to the police station. Hopefully, they will reunite the woman with her stolen jewelry.

Wow... now that's what I call finding treasure! It's strange all that jewelry was still in there. Maybe the bad guys heard you coming & dropped their loot. Did you make it the police station yet?

Edited to add: I thought your username looked familiar! We've really enjoyed all your new hides in the area. Out of curiosity... what city did you find the duffle bag in?

I found the duffle bag in Moline while looking for waterfallfrog's Halloween 3. The police station was closed so I had to use a phone in the lobby to call their dispatcher. After explaining everything to the officer and leaving, he called me back and said he knew somebody who geocached and wanted the coords. I gave them to him and later got an email from the dispatcher who I had talked to. She commended me on my honesty. She looked up the coords and then read my log. I never found out if the owner got her jewelry back. It will probably be auctioned off by the Moline PD. Hope not.

On our first greocaching trip me and my friend Vinnie were searching in the woods surrounding a parking lot. We saw a fake plastic log that no one would ever mistake for a real one. We were positive we had found the cache only to realize it was just a broken toy someone discarded.

No pics, but it's about midway into this video

I watched the video and enjoyed it. I really felt sorry for you guys... :D Thanks for making the video and posting it!

I gotta tell you thought - I thought the log would make a really good cache container!

Glad you liked it. That log was too good to be true. We REALLY thought we had found the cache. It turned out to be too good to be true. It was filled up with water from a recent rain, so we just threw it out in a nearby bin, otherwise we may have taken it and used it to hide a cache of our own.

You know, Watching that video was almost painful! Lol. I really felt for you guys..just glad you finally figured it out! Just keep in mind...some people can be a little cruel when hiding these things!!!! haha.... :)

SO today i am looking for the "bee" creepy crawler series in a nice waterfront park in Tampa, FL. Make the grab, and on my way back to the car i notice something on the backside of a tree. When i walked over i realized it was a part of some animal wrapped in brightly colored ribbons and nailed to a tree....I couldnt make out what kind of animal it was but it was long, about a foot and a half, and narrow. I dont know what it was!!! Weird...I think so!!! :D

Wow... now that's what I call finding treasure! It's strange all that jewelry was still in there. Maybe the bad guys heard you coming & dropped their loot. Did you make it the police station yet?

Edited to add: I thought your username looked familiar! We've really enjoyed all your new hides in the area. Out of curiosity... what city did you find the duffle bag in?

I found the duffle bag in Moline while looking for waterfallfrog's Halloween 3. The police station was closed so I had to use a phone in the lobby to call their dispatcher. After explaining everything to the officer and leaving, he called me back and said he knew somebody who geocached and wanted the coords. I gave them to him and later got an email from the dispatcher who I had talked to. She commended me on my honesty. She looked up the coords and then read my log. I never found out if the owner got her jewelry back. It will probably be auctioned off by the Moline PD. Hope not.

I really hope they were able to find who the jewelry belonged to. Even more... I hope they even tried to.

You would think someone would have reported a theft/burglary.

A very strange & mysterious situation.

I have seen posts about strange things in a cache and strange containers, but what are some of the unusual things you have found on the way to a cache? I ask because I just relocated a cache and the second finder at the new site thought I hid my cache inside a bong. Turns out he found a camouflaged bong 20 feet from my new final. I have since trashed it out but it got me to thinking what else is out there to be found?

Well...just last weekend I found a large red toolbox about 20 meters from the cache (I was on the wrong path) I was with my daughter and although I spotted it first, she opened it... Ooops!!! .. it contained several 'Adult toys' in it along with .. who knows what, we didn't look any further. Eventually we did find the cache in the opposite direction. I made a note on the cache's site as a warning, but I wasn't about to 'take that trash' with me and find some place to dispose of it. Hopefully someone with a larger vehicle would be willing to dispose of it! ... Ahhhhh the Adventures of Geo-cacheing!

:rolleyes: Let's start with all the good things...gorgeous flowers, a beach, a boardwalk, a butterfly, dragonflies, seashells, a tortoise, a turtle, racoons, deer, other geocachers, acorns, a bathroom, parking, shopping, a pit stop for food, some great pictures, and awesome views!

:blink: Then, there's the BAD...dead squirrels, dead birds, dead rabbits :) , lots of bones from an animal (kind?), dog poop, goose poop, too much garbage from food and pop, broken glass, a football helmet, beer cans, some little girls underwear hanging on a tree branch, cops, too many barking dogs, shopping, homeless shelters, poison ivy/sumac/mosquitoes, and a huge bees nest (Yes, I paid for that one dearly...and had a bad reaction to that!) :D

Guess that's the thrill of the hunt...you'll never know what you'll find...but there's always the hope for the good list above! :D

I once found an attractive, moderately inebriated woman near a cache. I wanted to take her home but figured it was probably better to leave her there.

:rolleyes:

My dream cache... however.. my wife does not agree... did she look like Faith Hill?

Nah, she looke more like Jewel

Wives are like that, I hear.

Today, I was caching in Cypress Creek Preserve, and on my way to GC1T0FA (Make Like A Tree!), I came across this doe that looked like she'd been killed by some predator. She was about 15 yards away from the cache and when the wind shifted, the smell was bad enough to knock a buzzard off a garbage truck. After just 10 minutes, I was ready to call it quits when I happened to stumble upon the cache, so I logged it and got the heck out of there.

DeadDoe-CypressCreek.jpg

2b20329a-3daa-4cb9-b3a5-855e65f2a582.jpg

5c4bd397-d334-423e-9c3c-05696740087b.jpg

Wait...so you found The Viking's safe while geocaching? I was in Ellison Bay when it happened and heard about it, but never expected to hear that someone found it while geocaching. Small world ;)

I was out hiking one spring day and cut down this path to take a short cut back toward home. I had never even heard of Geocaching at the time, but about half way down the trail I saw this ammo box partially hidden under some debris. I was a bit concerned that I might have happened upon something I wasn't supposed to find, may be drugs or something dangerous. I couldn't resist though, I had to see what was in the box. I looked all around to see if anyone was nearby and I opened it very carefully. There was this note. It said, "Youve found it! Whether intentional or not..." I've been hooked ever since. lol (True Story)

A mountain lion, seen today, 31 December '09, near posted (not corrected) coordinates for GC1640X. :) I'd just finished nabbing the cache below this one, and wanted to go to the top (Okay, in truth, I'd forgotten my notes and my GPSr doesn't differentiate between puzzle caches and traditional caches.). Just past the triangulation benchmark at the summit above Orinda Village, I spotted a juvenile mountain lion. It was upwind of me so it didn't hear or smell me. It looked like it was foraging for a rabbit or gopher, so it didn't see me. I held still and observed it for about 2 minutes. It was about the size of my dog, a standard poodle, so I'm making an educated guess that it was a juvenile. I compared it against a landmark that I'd seen behind it, so I'm pretty sure about the size. I also know it wasn't a bobcat because of its tail. And it was much bigger than a feral cat. Much bigger. It finally noticed me and took off down the hill.

I was amazed, but never really frightened. Had it been an adult, I would have retreated very carefully, but in this case, I just observed and stood still. Fascinating that something like this can survive and thrive in such close proximity to civilization.

I was searching for a cache called "puppy love" near the local SPCA after hours, and didn't find the cache, but found a hungry puppy that someone had dumped off. After reading some of the stories on here about strange caches that have been found, I started wondering if I should check for a logbook in her mouth or taped to her belly (ha ha), but instead I just took her home and fed her. One of my neighbors was actually looking to adopt a new dog, so they took her and she now has a new home.

I was searching for a cache called "puppy love" near the local SPCA after hours, and didn't find the cache, but found a hungry puppy that someone had dumped off. After reading some of the stories on here about strange caches that have been found, I started wondering if I should check for a logbook in her mouth or taped to her belly (ha ha), but instead I just took her home and fed her. One of my neighbors was actually looking to adopt a new dog, so they took her and she now has a new home.

What a happy ending :rolleyes: Haha you checked in her mouth and belly?! Haha. Thank gosh she got a home!

I found a pick ax when traveling between two caches .1 distance from each other today. It was in a wash in phoenix, arizona behind some restaurants I kept it as it had obviously been there for a long time and was sarounded by trash. The pick itself is in good shape and has a rubber coated handle. i felt weird carrying it for a quarter mile back to the car and into the gas station parking lot. It will now help me remove a stump from my backyard

geocaching4.jpg

Edited by bafl01

While caching about two weeks ago in St. Paul Park, MN as I was digging for a micro in the snow, I found a live blasting cap. Messed with it pretty harshly until I realized is said in big bold letters "EXPLOSIVE". Since the orange wire(fuse, whatever you call it) was frozen into the ground, we left it and made a stop at the police station to file a report. Not sure what they did with it. We can only gether that it was brought there from the quarry in a truck.. along with the giant boulders that now block vehicles from a trail head.

I found a pick ax when traveling between two caches .1 distance from each other today. It was in a wash in phoenix, arizona behind some restaurants I kept it as it had obviously been there for a long time and was sarounded by trash. The pick itself is in good shape and has a rubber coated handle. i felt weird carrying it for a quarter mile back to the car and into the gas station parking lot. It will now help me remove a stump from my backyard

geocaching4.jpg

LOL I picked up a crowbar from a cache this summer...the nice kind....like Gordon Freeman nice. It's in my diesel truck now, incase I have to go all Gordon on some body...LOL

I was hunting for a cache on a popular island in the San Juans when I came across deer bones. This doesn't sound that weird but someone arranged the bones in a strange way. Also nearby were some strange devices made out of things found in the woods. I'm being a little vague, but it wasn't something I really wanted to remember. I never found the cache, but it turns out it was stolen.

interesting.

We visit the San Juans regularly... I'd love to know what cache this was!

I was hunting for a cache on a popular island in the San Juans when I came across deer bones. This doesn't sound that weird but someone arranged the bones in a strange way. Also nearby were some strange devices made out of things found in the woods. I'm being a little vague, but it wasn't something I really wanted to remember. I never found the cache, but it turns out it was stolen.

Spent quite a bit of time in the islands over the years... seen lots of strange things. We'd love to know what cache this was?

A pile of decomposing deer guts and spine. 5 feet away from the cache. It was awful.

I don't have to go geocaching to find that.

One morning I stepped bare-footed in a pile of rotting lungs, intestines, stomach, liver, bones, hooves, and rotting hide in my hallway on the way to go turn on the lights. The smell woke me up. My dogs thought it would be fun to use the dog-door during the night and bring me a present, I guess. They were so proud. I thanked them for the present and tried to not show my disappointment. Like when you get socks or something.

I recently found a USB memory stick near a cache. It was actually my own memory stick, which I had lost a few days earlier. Because I couldn't find it anywhere at home, and because it contained some quite important data, I went back in a desperate attempt to look around all caches of that particular day on which I suspected I had lost the stick.

I found it next to the last cache of the tour - it was already covered with leaves and pressed into the earth, other cachers must have walked over it in the meantime. Don't know how I managed to loose it there either, but I found it and the data was fine!

Consider me one lucky bastard, I guess... :(:( :(

I found a few skinned beavers, left in the woods to rot. They seemed pretty fresh.

Actually, that was during the Weekend of Dead Wildlife. I also saw many road-killed porcupines (some more or less near caches). There was a really old pile of moose guts near another cache. A different cache site had what appeared to be pieces of a caribou and maybe a rabbit.

Oh, and I accidentally killed a robin when it flew in front of my car. I was driving from one cache to another. It was my first roadkill.

I found 20 bucks in a flower bed while out caching with the wife. Stumbling on cash while cach'in was a big reward lol!

Two years ago at Midwest Geobash I took a wrong turn on the way to a cache and turned around in a parking lot...a piece of paper caught my eye so I pulled up to it....it was a $10 bill...and inside that was a $20. That was a great $30 wrong turn; paid for gas on that days hunts.

While out doing a multi-stage paddle cache one of our group came across this on one of the islands we visited:

6d9610a7-472e-440a-a8f1-673f89ba3b49.jpg

At first we thought it was a chicken, but turns out it's a turkey.

The strange thing is, it's a small, wooded island about a half acre or so about .3 miles from shore. There was no other 'poultry' on the island.

It's a mystery how or why it got there.

Today on our way home, me and the fam ( my husband and our 3 lil boys) stopped to find a cache in a local park with great views of the working waterfront. I was almost posotive I found the cache but instead it was a well hidden bag with 2 hypodermic needles in it!!! That stoped our hunt for the day as we sat and waited FOREVER for the police to come and pick them up. B)

I once found an attractive, moderately inebriated woman near a cache. I wanted to take her home but figured it was probably better to leave her there.

B)

My dream cache... however.. my wife does not agree... did she look like Faith Hill?

awww I love jewel, she should get divorced and marry me, shed be much better off...

B)

awww I love jewel, she should get divorced and marry me, shed be much better off...

She gave up dumpster diving when she moved out of her van. Plus, it's just not a natural thing for an Alaskan. We're used to bear-proof garbage containers (hard to get into). Sorry.