You Found What Near The Cache?

Lostby7

Today on the way to a cache I found a body hanging in a tree. He had been missing for ten days but I am pretty sure he hadn't been there that long. I called 911 and had to give a statement as to why I was there and what I was doing. DNF on this one and I'm still shaken up about it.

Ewwww. Yeiks!

What was the cache GC?

Edited by Lostby7

Today on the way to a cache I found a body hanging in a tree. He had been missing for ten days but I am pretty sure he hadn't been there that long. I called 911 and had to give a statement as to why I was there and what I was doing. DNF on this one and I'm still shaken up about it.

Ewwww. Yeiks!

What was the cache GC?

GCG9M9.

My wife and I were about a mile or two into a hike to a cache in a wooden area when we came across this:

Witches-circle.jpg

It had markers at N, S, E, and W and also had a bunch of coins in the center area. It looked like it had been there for a while.

Is this one of those "witches circles" I've heard about? On reflection I wonder if it might be some sort of Indian circle (there are several Indian tribes in this area).

BTW, I have no idea what the area had been used for but I took the coins. :)

Doesn't look that much like a flower to me....a stalk, definitely...

I found a cage in a forest park, with two dead and frozen gerbils near it, and a live one eating bird seed (its a popular bird feeding area) some distance away. I caught the live gerbil, put it back in the cage and brought it home, where it seems quite happy. I called it Geo of course.

If I caught the idiot who think tame gerbils can survive in the wild... :rolleyes:

The little creature is not even afraid of my cats, it wouldn't know to run from predators. And with snow still on the ground, food was not all that plentifull in the forest.

Hmmm... Geo the Gerbil vs. Signal the Frog. I vote for Geo!!

GCG9M9.

Here's the link to the newspaper story on the man you found.

That must have been very tough on you. I'm glad you didn't have children along.

I'm glad that I didn't take my four year old with me. I'm also glad it was me, and adult, as opposed to a younger cacher or a family with younger kids. If you look at the picture gallery for the cache there is a group of three kids sitting on a bench in one and that bench was about 75 feet from him give or take a bit. I'm glad the newspaper article didn't mention geocaching either, it was hard enough to explain to the police what it was all about.

Edited by kayn_os

Geocaching, so far nothing stranger than a fully intact deer skeleton. Strange to see it all perfectly layed out.

Now fishing....Let me tell ya.

1. Walleye fishing in the pitch black darkness on the side of river bank. Decide to call it quits around 2:30 A.M. Walking back to my truck on the trail (with head lamp on), turn a corner and standing right in the middle of the trail is a guy 100% totally buck naked. Scared the living snot right out of me. After catching my breath and saying "What the heck are you doing?" I quickly realized after about two words he was drunk as skunk. He said "Gozin' fa ya swimmin'" When I reached my truck it all made sense. There was a bar directly across the street from the trailhead. Last call was at 2 A.M. and unfortunately we crossed paths.

2. I was a volunteer for a program that watches for illegal fishing activities during a peak season. Me and another volunteer are walking down the bank of river and we see a guy fishing in a trench coat with a live chicken underneath his arm. No joke! I litterally had to sit down on a log and think about it for 5 minutes. Finally, I decided I had to do it. I got on the radio to ask the DNR officer in charge "There is guy down here fishing with a live chicken under his arm. Do we do anything about that?" After a few calls back and forth on the radio. He said "I'll be there in a minute!" Needless to say ALL the volunteers, the DNR officer and a DNR officer in a vehicle patrol 5 miles from the river showed up to get a look at this one.

The weirdest things I have seen are a bag of thongs on the side of a cliff, several homeless camps, a dead squirrel wrapped around the branch of a tree about 8 feet up, and several liquor stashes. Just not all in the same place, though.

Oh, and we found 4 caches in one park just before dinner on a Sunday, and as we were coming back to the parking lot there were men EVERYWHERE... sitting alone in their cars, lurking around in the bushes, seeming to be waiting for something... or someone. Yep, we asked around and this place was notorious for being a gay pickup park.

Edited by hikerT

A pile of scorched white hotel style towels laying on the ground near an old fashioned diner drive through. A few feet from the first pile there was a hole in the pavement with more in a melted milk crate. :huh: I don't know if there was a grease fire or what. Not sure if I even want to know... :huh: About 50 feet from that scene was the cache. At least the cache brought you to a cool place away from the towels.

Wow, well those are entertaining to say the least.

We have not found anything as exciting as some of those...on our...3rd trip out we found 2 old carosene lamps used for camping...a few cattle bones...and a ton of spent brass. We live in Vegas though so the rounds make sense :D. Oh We did find a fairly new burned out Cadillac Escolade also out on your way to Pahrump. We had to jeep out to a cache and there in an old wash was the caddie and another SUV that was older. Both were burned, rolled, shot out and more. I am half tempted to go get the rear end off the caddie, lol.

EDIT---Forgot we also found a shrine to a woman that died also. Pretty far back in the woods, not sure if she was a murder victim or what. We signed the log and added a RIP to the log.

Edited by TeamWhiteWolf

What an array of 'merchandise' has been found by cachers! I wish I'd read this thread sooner -- it's quite entertaining. We/I have found our share of the bizarre and unusual, including . . .

• Three occupied homeless camps, each one occupied by a man, one of them nekkid!
  • A wide assortment of adult stuff, including magazines, things that use batteries, used elastic beanies, and one inflatable woman.
  • Recreational substance equipment including a bong, a pipe, some non-caching film cannisters, but (surprsingly) only one needle, and more alcohol containers than you can shake a stick at!
  • A variety of dead things including a chicken, an elk, hunters' leavings, and two things that I didn't even know what they were but there were vultures there
  • Men in downtown Seattle looking for a good time from us (!) -- we never did find that cache, but considered throwing the cutest of us (thankfully, I am not cute) to them
  • A nice variety of living wildlife including deer, elk, snakes (yes, rattlesnakes, too), lizards, eagles, heron, bear, goats, raccoons, and bugs

I was pretty amazed at how much we've found when I stopped to think about it.

What an array of 'merchandise' has been found by cachers! I wish I'd read this thread sooner -- it's quite entertaining. We/I have found our share of the bizarre and unusual, including . . .

• Three occupied homeless camps, each one occupied by a man, one of them nekkid !
  • A wide assortment of adult stuff, including magazines, things that use batteries, used elastic beanies, and one inflatable woman.
  • Recreational substance equipment including a bong, a pipe, some non-caching film cannisters, but (surprsingly) only one needle, and more alcohol containers than you can shake a stick at!
  • A variety of dead things including a chicken, an elk, hunters' leavings, and two things that I didn't even know what they were but there were vultures there
  • Men in downtown Seattle looking for a good time from us (!) -- we never did find that cache, but considered throwing the cutest of us (thankfully, I am not cute) to them
  • A nice variety of living wildlife including deer, elk, snakes (yes, rattlesnakes, too), lizards, eagles, heron, bear, goats, raccoons, and bugs

I was pretty amazed at how much we've found when I stopped to think about it.

Was that nudecacher? He does get around but I always thought he had a home. :D

Yesterday was my first day geocaching, so I don't have "The Strangest Thing Ever", but I do have a couple good ones. I found two doggie poo bags near one I was looking for and a swarm of bees in a tree trunk next to another one.

Almost walked onto a women taking a leak in the bushes once. She ran off probably thinking I was a rapist. Found the cache shortly afterwards thankfully.

Yesterday (7.2.08) in the Soda Ville foothills came across what appeared to be an executed dog. Smell gave it away - 50 feet off trail. Didn't need a gps to get to that - just a read on the breeze. beaucoup de beer cans to complement the scene. Also on the same trail came upon something that maybe another member can i.d. <--- I got no idea.

Single hole in head - hmmm.

7208solocache7ps4.th.jpg

Not sure what this is.

7208solocache8kv2.th.jpg

A little further down the road I was hunting "Knot Hole" and got some interesting pictures of the local color. I believe this was where they filmed "Wrong Turn". I got my reverse driving down in a hurry lol.

Good times!

"I am here to talk about the rental?"

7208solocache22kx9.th.jpg

"Sentry Post"

7208solocache23xl3.th.jpg

"Back up buddy"

7208solocache24uh1.th.jpg

Oh, and we found 4 caches in one park just before dinner on a Sunday, and as we were coming back to the parking lot there were men EVERYWHERE... sitting alone in their cars, lurking around in the bushes, seeming to be waiting for something... or someone. Yep, we asked around and this place was notorious for being a gay pickup park.

For a minute there I thought you were describing Gateway park in Fort Worth. Had some dude follow me into the woods one day while caching. I ducked down and circled around -- he left when he couldn't find me. Saw an article in the paper at a later date describing what he was up to -- glad he left.

I was hunting around through a favorite local forest, looking to place my first cache. Came across likely enough spot - hollow tree, sheltered, not too obvious. Captured the coords, and when to put the cache inside: wait a minuite. Whats that. Pulled out a well camoflauged - geocache. Virgin. Empty log. Never been signed. Still not on the website a couple of months later. No name or waymark on it. I signed the log, and found a new spot, more than a tenth of a mile away. And hid my own. I've been waiting for the other one to surface ever since.

Did you ever wonder what comes *before* FTF?

For a minute there I thought you were describing Gateway park in Fort Worth. Had some dude follow me into the woods one day while caching. I ducked down and circled around -- he left when he couldn't find me. Saw an article in the paper at a later date describing what he was up to -- glad he left.

This may not seem family-friendly but how many "carry" when in remote areas? Legally of course.

This may not seem family-friendly but how many "carry" when in remote areas? Legally of course.

QLENFG raises hand.

More so for the urban and park caches, which, around these parts, seem to be in areas where you are likely to become a victim.

According to the GPSr it was about 350 feet from the road to the cache. I had made it about 150 feet in along the trail and tree line between two corn fields when I spotted a plastic nursary pot with a plant in it. The first thing that goes through my mind is why would somebody drag this all the way out here to get rid of it? Then I looked at the leaves of the plant. Marijuana (sp?) I decided discretion may be the better part of valor on this cache. Headed back out and drove on to a side road about a quarter mile away and called 911. Explained geocaching to the state trooper (who apparently put out a query and another one filled him in so he knew I was being square with him) and led him back to the plant.

He really wasn't surpised. Said they regularly get calls from farmers who find a cleared out section in the middle of their fields. You can't see more than 2 or 3 feet into a corn field. He pulled the plant out, dumped the dirt and took the plant and container back to his cruiser. He admitted there was not much they could do to hunt down the owner and the p lant would be incinerated in about a month.

This my log from a cache I found today in Newfoundland, Canada (GC1FN30).

"When my son and I got to the location and began looking for a way in to the cache, my son heard a noise. When we looked around, we were being surrounded by three kittens. After getting them away from the vans and back into the woods, we went to the SPCA. They gave us a carrier cage (I'm not a cat person so I didn't want them in my van but I wanted to help) and we drove back to the cache site.

It didn't take long for them to come running. We scooped them up, put them in the crate, and found the cache. We then delvered them to the SPCA where they will be put up for adoption.

These guys were dropped in the woods by someone yesterday or today. They are in good shape and healthy. Someone has no heart."

I am hoping they get adopted soon.

My wife and I were caching at an old strip mine area, in the middle of nowhere, when these 2 dauchounds came bounding out of the woods. Hungry, muddy, and full of fleas, they were happy to see ANY humans! We took them home, cleaned them and fed them. Placed an ad in the paper and even went to our local animal shelter, but we never did find their owners. So......we became the owners of 2 doxies. We've also run across a couple who was engaged in an amorous embrace, and then some. Wife started laughing and the couple took off. The young lady left her panties behind. Oh well.....never know what you'll see...or find!

Found a condom tree, several used rubbers hanging off of the branches...

I looked around and had to ask myself, who the heck would want to do that around here? Dead, decaying plant material everywhere, ants and spiders... Maybe at a nice sandy beach, but here, really??? Oh yeah and it looked like someone dropped a deuce under that tree...

Oh and I forgot to mention this. Today on our way to a find we passed a muggle family walking their cat in the forest. On a leash.

We do that. We have to take her with us when we travel cause she needs meds twice a day, but she gets angry (and carsick) if we keep her moving to long :) And without the harness and leash, she might run off and get lost.

Sometimes there ARE logical reasons! :)

The strangest thing I've seen in my relatively short caching career is a relatively easy-to-find cache in the middle of NYC that someone spiced up by arranging some creepy paraphernalia nearby: a hockey mask, a pair of red bolt cutters, and a folding razor (open)! For a second I wondered if I had stumbled onto a real crime scene, but on further inspection it became clear it was someone's odd sense of humor.

Remarkably (give the location), the props stayed in place for a number of days, although they now appear to be gone.

(Images from another cacher, not me - took some with my camera phone but they did not come out).

c8882c6d-2c43-46ec-aa0e-ce6476aee94b.jpg

337d9eef-893f-4ccf-ad51-027a05635492.jpg

Oh and I forgot to mention this. Today on our way to a find we passed a muggle family walking their cat in the forest. On a leash.

We do that. We have to take her with us when we travel cause she needs meds twice a day, but she gets angry (and carsick) if we keep her moving to long :) And without the harness and leash, she might run off and get lost.

Sometimes there ARE logical reasons! ;)

So do we, for the same reasons, so I don't think that's strange at all! I'm sure there are lots of cats out there that go caching. Aren't there? Ours likes the walk in to the cache, but he hates going back to the car, so Mr BP usually ends up with muddy paw prints all over his shirt.

The strangest thing we've found was a Highway Department road kill dump. They were hauling all the deer killed on the highway and dumping them very near the cache. Yuk.

At the first waypoint of a multi, my brother, Mxrider44, came across one of those plastic pouches with zippers companies use to take money to the bank. It was empty. However, a few minutes later, he found another that had moldy receipts, a roll of dimes, and several un-cashed checks! Obviously whoever dumped the evidence from their crime wasn't smart enough to steal bank accounts, just the cash!

We never did find the first waypoint, though!

From Wikipedia:

DID YOU KNOW? Glass "bottle trees" originated in Northern Africa during a period when superstitious people believed that a genii or imp could be captured in a glass bottle. Legend had it that empty glass bottles placed outside the home could "capture" roving (usually evil) spirits at night, and the spirit would be destroyed the next day in the sunshine. This practice was taken to Europe and North America by African slaves. While Europeans adapted them into hollow glass spheres known as "witch balls" the practice of hanging bottles in trees became widespread in the Southern states of North America, where they continue to be used today as colorful garden ornaments.

Well, in the spirit of odd trees:

100_1052.jpg

Inorite? :ph34r:

We were coming home from a weekend away and we found a chicken.

She was sleepy and started to roost on top of a garbage can (thankfully all bagged) at a rest stop.

She was really friendly, so I found her a home and named her Oscar (get it? garbage can?) I get updates, she is a good layer. (there is no such thing as a wild chicken 'round these parts... cause they get eaten by raccoons!)

Oscar on the can

002395f7-5c2a-48ed-a457-a033067ed2be.jpg

Oscar in my car

6235557a-eedc-475f-99d8-e70c8bea3852.jpg

It was getting dark and I was determined to find the cache that was hidden in the woods just outside the cemetary...I had found the childs lone grave so I knew I was getting close. Around on the back side of a downed log, there was a huge blue container....I was excited! This was the bigges t container I had found yet! I slung it up onto a nearby log and flung it open...then froze! As I QUICKLY headed out of the woods, my fingers were dialing the emergency numbers. All the makings of a NAZI style meth lab were hidden in almost exactly the spot the gpsr was sending me. After the deputy arrived and I showed him where the stuff was sitting, he wanted to help me continue hunting the cache while we waited on the HAZMAT team to arrive! LOL

They got a huge kick out of the bad luck the methhead has.

I never did return to find that cache. I doubt I ever will.

Edited by param3d1c