Uk Geocoin

afaik they bought the tracking numbers from Groundspeak and made their coins ... that's it. You can order them here (dunno if they ship abroad): http://www.geocaching-onlineshop.de/

btw.: Nice profile :laughing:

They do not ship here to the states. I have tried to order from that site but it was very difficult figuring out what they where asking for. Aside from that the cost is a bit on the spendy side, @ 8.49 eur that is $11.00 us.

Damenace

Actually they DO ship German geocoins to the US - I just got mine today. The coins are $10 USD. I ordered 6 coins and some stickers and was charged $10 USD shipping which was below cost (shipping cost 9.40 Euro). I just had to send an email to the German vendor and Franz helped me out.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Regards,

DiverVan

German Geocoins have their own separate icon (but it is the same as the US geocoin icon).

I'd have happily paid the extra quid to get them tracked "properly" as well. Possibly too late now though eh?

I got an email from Geocaching that they were discussing the idea of different icons for different coins - they are worried about cluttering up the stats page. Geocaching said that they were going to post a topic on the forums discussing this sometime in the future.

For what it's worth - tracking on geocaching.com is a deal maker for me. I might buy one for my collection, but not to launch - hence my buying German geocoins and not the Canadian ones.

The UK coin is beautiful and I hope that it's geocaching.com trackable.

Edited by divervan

As far as I can see there are 2 problems with the UK coin:

1. They failed to realize that for an extra quid, they could get their own icon and tracking on the gc.com website.

2. They have failed to set a cut off date for orders. When IS it going to happen? Is it going to happen. The design is great. But the admin is crap.

Trust the Germans to get it right. They've got thier own (generic) icon. And I've got 3 in my pocket right now!

As far as the stats page being cluttered...maybe GC has got too many commercial Jeeps....

Thanks BexyBear, et al - your input is greatly appreciated.

1. Unfortunately the lack of UK based mints has meant a great deal of wrangling on behalf of the UKGeocoin team; please give us some breathing space with delivery expectancy!

2. In fairness, paying £1 per coin would not have accelerated the launch of what I think we must all agree is a fantastic piece of work by Peter and eventually it would have reduced the accessibility of the coin.

3. Sadly the response time in ALL discussions from GC.com has not instilled confidence in the team to deliver a finished product with GC.com backing. Any change to this would be welcome!

4. Currently we have not set a 'cut off' because we do not have a final price or delivery date.

Public comments on the administration whilst welcome should be directed privately since everyone is doing this voluntarily for the GC community. All comments are welcome to comments@geocoins.co.uk.

Edited by The Hokesters

Hi Dom,

Yes we know this but we felt the cost was prohibitive and were discouraged by the lack of communication from GC.com no doubt because they are so busy with all the sidelined projects they are developing for us. You wouldn't expect the tracking someone else's coins to be a priority.

I just went back throug the thread and realized that we had not expressed our interest in getting some of these geocoins.  So, we would be interested in getting 3 of them.

Thanks

Terrible Ts

Please remove us from the list. We will be involved in a group purchase.

Thanks

Terrible Ts

I have to say i was originally up for some of these coins, however i am having second thoughts!

Not trackable on GC.Com :P

i would happilily have paid the extra to have had that facillity.

I don't want to have to go to other sites to track them, i'd rather pay the extra for the convienience.

What a shame.

what do others think?

Terry

what do others think?

Terry

I'm with you on this. I don't see the point of a non-trackable coin.

But then again, I know the deal that GC want to make coins trackable on their site and it involves more than just paying an extra pound a coin. :P

I assumed that these coins would be trackable.... surely thats the point of them. If they are not they are no different to other objects put in caches.... What are the extras to the £1 to make them trackable? Whatever the cost it must be paid to make them worthwhile. If done put me down for 5. Cheers MaxKim

I have to say i was originally up for some of these coins, however i am having second thoughts!

I don't want to have to go to other sites to track them, i'd rather pay the extra for the convienience.

What a shame.

what do others think?

Terry

I disagree. Coins at this cost aren't really going to be traveling much from cache to cache. I don't think many would be leaving them in caches other than for FTF or something special. If you want coins to actually be a trade item I think they need to be more on par with the cost of regular trade items. Such as the ones that are priced around $2.50.

I have to say  i was originally up for some of these coins, however i am having second thoughts!

What a shame.

what do others think?

Terry

I disagree. Coins at this cost aren't really going to be traveling much from cache to cache. I don't think many would be leaving them in caches other than for FTF or something special. If you want coins to actually be a trade item I think they need to be more on par with the cost of regular trade items. Such as the ones that are priced around $2.50.

I agree with Nurse Dave.

Once these coins get to their buyers, there won't be much traveling done. Mine isn't going to leave the office where I keep my coins.

Unless you plan on releasing yours into the wild, I don't see the point in insisting that the folks in the UK make them trackable.

If you want a trackable coin, go have one made.

We seem to be covering old ground here again but just for the record (hopefully for the last time).

1. The coins *will* be trackable but on a separate website much like the very successful Canadian Geocoin.

2. Each coin will come with specific instructions on how to log and track it.

3. Teasel is kindly going to write a snippet of code for cache setter to pop into their cache pages which will show what coins have visited and if there are coins present very similar to the Canadian coin. This will depend on UK cachers adding this snippet but the coins will be tracked with or without the snippet.

The UKGeoCoin team made the decision not to pay GC.com to track the coin because we felt the additional cost was prohibitive. We could have opened this up for discussion but felt that would only add more time to the project and divide the UK GC community and ultimately may reduce the take up if people were asked to choose sides.

We appreciate that coins may well go missing if released into the *wild* but when they will cost less than a travel bug TB, which also go missing, we trust that this isn't going to be a major issue.

I have asked Ali to take you off the list Wadders.

Simon

At no time have I had a reply from my emails to Groundspeak saying "yes you can have tracking, it will cost $n" It's a lovely idea but it has never been offered to me as an option. All figures bandied about have been purely hypothetical. I have had several attempts at getting an answer from them, including somebody volunteering to act as an intermediary. Nothing. No reply. No information. I am not sure how we would be supposed to factor this into a realistic price and proposition for the UK coin. We are trying to do our best with the options which are open to us.

Edited by Alibags
We could have our coins tracked on the GC site but it would put about £1.00 (if memory serves) on the cost of the coin as Groundspeak want a handling fee for each coin tracked on their system. We decided that it wouldn't be cost effective to go down this route.

Looks like this was where the £1 figure came from.

-

Simon did get one email saying tracking may be possible and there would be a cost (not specified, but suggested that it may be around the £1 amount) and further stipulations (not specified), but he failed to get any further response from them on the subject either. It is unfortunate that his post seems to say that they told us we could have it for a quid and we decided against in purely on that basis, but that is not the whole picture.

I could send you copy of my email correspondance... oops, or I could if I had ever got a reply!!

I am sorry this had dragged on so long, but things are still moving. Part of the delay HAS been because we have been trying to establish the true picture of coin tracking on gc.com (and not getting any response). We are very pleased with the overwhelming response from cachers to the coin, so thank you for your interest. We will be able to say what the final price and ETA is very soon.

After starting this off, in all naive innocence, I now can quite see why other people have given up in the past. However, I took along the sample coin to The Dreaming Spires cache bash last Sunday and everybody was very enthusiastic, which cheered me up and re-enthused me. Hey, I was even thinking ahead to what we could do with the next coin... shoot me now!!!

Simon did get one email saying tracking may be possible and there would be a cost (not specified, but suggested that it may be around the £1 amount) and further stipulations (not specified), but he failed to get any further response from them on the subject either.

Correctomundo - that is where the figure came from in an opening email from Jeremy who then never replied to an email after that point. Pehaps they decided against it but were too busy to reply.

I have already spent nearly £200 with the mint who are actually in Asia somewhere but operated through a US office. It would be impossible to manufacture the coin as we have tabled for £1.50. In view of the outlay so far and the blood sweat and tears expended by the UKGeoCoin team a change of direction like this is impossible.

Thanks for trying to help but like I have said already we are 'very' close to releasing an ETA and final package cost.

If there's a strong probabililty that they'll be ready by our trip to London Sept. 1-3, we would be interested in purchasing one at the Bash in a Cache event if that's possible. We would also be interested in trading one or more MiGO coins for UK coins at that same event.

We could also serve as couriers for Berryzang, AKA Big Red Dog with his permission and bring his coin(s) back to him. Most of the other US cachers I've seen placing advanced orders aren't close to us like he is so it wouldn't be very feasible to try to bring theirs back as well.