Uk Geocoin

As I type, I have the proof coin in my grubby mitts. Very nice it is too. There were a couple of things that needed changing on it though (where it differered from our agreed artwork).

The soonest soon is likely to be is the end of the month.

I had not imagined quite how much work this was going to be when I posted my original naiive question about them! :lol:

But patience dear UK cachers, they are coming soon!

(ish)

Edited by Alibags

Have had nothing to do with this, but assume that it's based on Caesar's famous quote "veni vidi vici" = "I came, I saw, I conquered" when he invaded and conquered the South. This new geocaching version is rather more peaceful, along the lines of "I came, I searched, I found".

The Learned Gerbil is correct - Julius Caesar overcame Pharnaces of Pontus in five days during 47BC, apparently to repay Cleopatra for various kindnesses.. Pontus was the name of the north-eastern province of Asia Minor, a long and narrow strip of land on the southern coast of the Black Sea, now part of Northern Turkey.

Hampk

I am currently in discussion with somebody in the USA to act as as our distributer over there. Save shipping them to UK and then shipping them all back again. If anybody wants to 'book' some in advance, please email me via my profile rather than adding a 'me too' to the list. You will not be held to this if you change your mind, but it will allow us to gauge numbers. Ta!

I actually said he invaded "the South". I didn't say the South of what. To make it quite clear, I meant the South of the larger land mass that includes the bit where he invaded as its southern part.

But seriously, I'd have sworn that was what I was told back when I wore shorts and believed what people told me. Has history changed, or was I just not listening?

Gold colour due to epoxy coating. The coin looks much nicer in the 'flesh' and is antiqued. The epoxy coating makes the enamelled side smoother and protects the enamel from being bashed around in caches. The picture doesn't really do it justice.

Cost, likely to be in the region of £4, TBC. USA cost will be similar.

The grand unveiling of this coin was not not going to be for a while, but as the question was asked, I thought I would answer it. This is why precise date and price is not yet known. We have been beavering away behind the scenes though and all I can say is coming soon. My best estimate is the end of April.

OK - technically, I wrote two clauses that refered  to two clauses. I used a dependant marker to reduce my second independant clause to a dependant one. I humbly apologise!

[in]dependent :rolleyes::)

Ok - I was tired! :rolleyes:

As for the original quote - I think a lot of the problem comes from Sellar and Yeatman's, 1066 and All That. They wrote -

"CHAPTER I: Caesar Invades Britain

The first date* in English History is 55 b.c., in which year Julius Caesar (the memorable Roman Emperor) landed, like all other successful invaders of these islands, at Thanet. This was in the Olden Days, when the Romans were top nation on account of their classical education, etc.

*For the other date see Chapter 11, William the Conqueror

Julius Caesar advanced very energetically, throwing his cavalry several thousands of paces over the River Flumen; but the Ancient Britons, though all well over military age, painted themselves true blue, or wood, and fought as heroically under their dashing queen, Woadicea, as they did later in thin red lines under their good queen, Victoria.

Julius Caesar was therefore compelled to invade Britain again the following year (54 b.c., not 56, owing to the peculiar Roman method of counting), and having defeated the Ancient Britons by unfair means, such as battering-rams, tortoises, hippocausts, centipedes, axes, and bundles, set the memorable Latin sentence, 'Veni, Vidi, Vici', which the Romans, who were all very well educated, construed correctly.

The Britons, however, who of course still used the old pronunciation, understanding him to have called them 'Weeny, Weedy, and Weaky', lost heart and gave up the struggle, thinking that he had already divided them All into Three Parts."

The joke is that the correct Latin pronunciation of Veni, Vidi, Vici at the time of caesar was more like Weni, Widi, Wici. To make the joke aimed at pedantic latin teachers, the authors had to set the situation in England, as it is a book about English ignorance of English history.

As the book was and is very popular, it reenforces the view that Caesar used the expression when he invaded Briton rather than someone most Britons are ignorant of.

Anyway, let us move on! The inscription on the coins is still excellent! Maybe someone can take one to a cache in Turkey?

OK - technically, I wrote two clauses that refered  to two clauses. I used a dependant marker to reduce my second independant clause to a dependant one. I humbly apologise!

Can we have that in English please!

:rolleyes:

How about in LATIN... Bloody foreigners, Romans go home.. :D:rolleyes::)

Gold colour due to epoxy coating. The coin looks much nicer in the 'flesh' and is antiqued. The epoxy coating makes the enamelled side smoother and protects the enamel from being bashed around in caches. The picture doesn't really do it justice.

The grand unveiling of this coin was not not going to be for a while, but as the question was asked, I thought I would answer it. This is why precise date and price is not yet known. We have been beavering away behind the scenes though and all I can say is coming soon. My best estimate is the end of April.

Since I dunno what 4 Pounds works out to in $, I'll just say thanks for the info, and I'll stick with my request for 4.

Romans go home.. :rolleyes:  :)  :rolleyes:

Romani ite domum

Dunno about the other bit :D

Bloody Romans - What did the Romans ever do for us.............................?

I'll getme coat :)

Quote from 'The Anglo-Saxon Cronicle. The Laud Cronicle'.

"418 In this year the Romans collected all the treasures which were in Britain and hid some in the earth so that no one afterwards could find them, and some they took with them to Gaul."

Guys, guys can you hold fire with the orders for a few more weeks.

We will open a topic as soon as we are ready to go live and tell you how to order them. We really appreciate the interest and everyone putting their orders in but inevitably over the 5 or 6 topics we have had since this started we will miss someone.

So as soon as we are ready to fly we will let you know.

I think you should take a leaf out of Garmins and Groundspeaks books and return the favour...............

Charge US cachers more, but give them half the functions..........e.g. the map missing off the coins and maybe only half the inscription- - - - - B)

And then lock their forum entries if they have the cheek to complain.......... <_<B):):DB)

Guys, guys can you hold fire with the orders for a few more weeks.

We will open a topic as soon as we are ready to go live and tell you how to order them. We really appreciate the interest and everyone putting their orders in but inevitably over the 5 or 6 topics we have had since this started we will miss someone.

So as soon as we are ready to fly we will let you know.

Are you going to take orders and then have the coin made or have it made and then place orders. Only reason I ask is I assumed that because you already have the website up that you were going to be selling actual coins and not preorders, in which case it would help to know how many people will buy. But I could be all wrong.