Got An Etrex Legend!!!

Hey All,

I just got an eTrex Legend and man do I love it. I had been using a GPS72 which is kind of a plain jane unit which requires two handed use. I didn't know what I was missing with the difference in size and weight as well as being able to use one hand to manipulate the controls. Also the mapping function is cool and the 72 didn't have it. One of the best purchases I have ever made. Next to my Villa in the French Riviera and my Aston Martin of course. :lol:

Edited by ModernMaster

I've recently upgraded to one as well.

I used to have an etrex Venture, and can't believe how much more useful the unit is with the metroguide maps loaded.

I've found that the unit is a tad slow updating when travelling at speed in a car/bus or train, but as I mostly use it for cycling, it is ideal.

I don't bother with the "Lock on Roads" option, as I found that it made the screen updates slower, and didn't like it if I went offroad for a cache. Remembering to turn it off was a pain, so I just leave it off, and the accuracy is good enough for me if the zoom is set to the 120m scale or above.

Love this unit, and not had too many reception problems, though I have to confess that the leaves aren't out in the UK just yet.

Adrian :lol:

I have an eTrex Legend too.  I have heard some people complain about reception on the eTrex units, so that is one of their flaws.

The reception in the Legend is fine as long as you hold it flat, face up to the sky. I've seen people walking around with them clipped to their belt, hanging from the laynard around their neck or just in thair hand dangling at their side and those people will and do have reception problems.

You need to hold the Legend kind of like a waiter holding a tray of beer. This is fine for most, shorter cache hunts, but for longer ones and long hikes it isn't practical. I found that using the eTrex carrying case and clipping it to the top of my pack's shoulder strap allows it to ride face up to the sky on longer hikes and cache hunts.

60C ... if only it had an SD slot. Until then, the Legend will be my primary GPS.

I have a 60CS and have yet to find myself wishing for a SD slot. The 54 megs of storage is more than enough for my region, and some.

Edited by briansnat
I have a 60CS and have yet to find myself wishing for a SD slot. The 54 megs of storage is more than enough for my region, and some.

If I'm going to spend that kind of money, then the GPSr must pull double duty and serve as a car navigation system for cross-country travel.

Ideally, I want to load both city and topo maps of the western US. This is the region I travel in most and I don't want to keep swapping out map sets every time I hit the road. Besides, 56mb is totally inadequate for longer trips.

As long as I'm limited in the memory department, I may as well save the bucks and continue using AAA maps for road trips and my Legend for local hikes (western Washington). I see no advantage in upgrading to the 60C if I can't put the maps in it that I want.

I "traded up" to a Legend from the older yellow eTrex (I gave the older unit to a good friend of mine and got him into geocaching as well, and we both go out caching on occasional weekends; for now, we have to stick to the "1/1" or "1/1.5" caches, because he had some medical problems with his legs, but at some point, we'll go look for the harder ones).

I love this thing. The "ClikStik" took a little bit of getting used to, but I wouldn't go back to the yellow unit ever again!

Edited by Mike_B
with memory being so cheap these days (flash, ram, etc) why in the world would a gpsr only have 8mb of it?

:D

Speaking of "cheap" memory. I just bought a 32 mb SD card (new) for $4.99 priority shipping INCLUDED. ( Surpluscomputers.com )

I will be using this card in my NEW Magellan Gold that I bought to replace my Garmin Legend. The Gold is 100X better unit.

The price of a Magellan Gold is quite a bit more than the eTrex Legend, which can be purchased from Amazon now for less than $140.00.

Also, I wonder if they have fixed the problem this man writes about in the Addenda to his original review for the Magellan Gold?

I've only had my Gold for a couple of days without extended time in the sun (other than initialization) and haven't seen this problem yet. Thanks for the heads-up though. I'll be looking for the problem.

Meridian Gold is $183.95 shipped from compuplus.com

Etrex Legend is $131.94 shipped from amazon.com

Those seem like the best prices from retailers. I've been trying to decide between them this last week and think I'm leaning toward the gold. For one, I don't want to have to delete maps off of my unit to add another map. The expandable memory makes so much sense.

Has anyone else purchased from compuplus and other like unknown retailers? How has the experience been? Are there any reputable retailers that will match prices from these online stores?

Thanks!

You might check out this site to get "seller ratings."

I think there are other sites that also rate online sellers.

I've had good luck with Amazon and sellers on eBay who have excellent feedback. I won't buy from an eBay seller who has more than a few negatives in their feedback profile.