Meridian Color Or Wait For Explorist?

Give us two reasons for buying a meridian over an explorist!!

(apart for using batteries in the meridian!!)

And don't get me wrong.....I used to have a mericolor,and liked it,but why buy last weeks bread if you can have crispy-fresh??? <_<

Edited by Raoul

There is some critical information that has not been received from the new eXplorists, such as sensitivity and reception of satellites in difficult areas. There are some other features where the Meridian appears superior. I think you need to look at the pluses and minuses of each and apply it to your needs.

My eXplorist is supposed to arrive today. By this weekend, I plan some field tests and will compare it to my Meridian.

You said don't mention the batteries, but that seems like a biggie. I bought me digital camera because it uses AAs. Plus there's the whole quad antenna thing.

Yes indeed....,I stand corrected......the batteries are a big deal....(I just thought:"if someone doesn't have a GPS and wants to buy one,why not buy the new kid in town??")

But your right Nurse Dave.......,the meridian is a good device,and for now whe still know to little about the explorist 500/600....

Now someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Meridian and explorist both have a quad/helix antenna??

The explorists use a patch antenna, with what Magellan calls TrueFix Technology and 14 parallel channels.

I have had an explorist 200 for about a year now, and I think a lot of people are going to be blown away when they find how accurate the explorists are. Many readers here have probably already seen my posts in other message threads where I've said that I owned a SportTrak Pro for a short time (quad-helix) but returned it because I had such better results from the explorist.

I'll be curious to see what others' experiences are when they begin using the ex500.

The antenna thing has been discussed many times in many topics here. There are 3 main parts to any radio , the antenna; the receiver itself (noise floor, sensitivity, adjacent channel rejection, etc; and the quality/speed of the processor. The quad helix antenna has more gain at lower angles, which is a good thing. However, a patch antenna with a good receiver and processor can perform as good or better.

What counts is how a GPSr works in difficult areas (heavy trees primarily.)