Apologies

It appears that the decision by 'Third Degree Witch' to remove all his caches because of personal attacks on him, stems from my (Ollie Dad) post on the thread, started by Lactodorum about labeling Ammo boxes and other cache containers.

It was in no way meant as an attack as no-one was named, just an observation and one that could prevent further anguish for the moderators, who have been through a pretty rough time recently.

They get contacted frequently by the police and also the Forestry Commission about caches that are unmarked, when all it takes to stop this problem is by the cache setter to take some time and effort to clearly identify their caches.

All caches are the owners resposibility whether maintenance or in the placing of. If you don't want that responsibility, don't place one.

Perhaps I could have contacted TDW about the the lack of markings personally but I don't feel that I'm in a position of authority to do that .It may have been taken as a personal insult!

It seems a shame that instead of going back to his caches to remove them, that he could not have taken a permenant marker pen to correct his oversight.

As geocaching is now becoming an ever larger 'sport' with a growing media interest and ever increasing caches, we must all ensure that it does not recieve bad press due to members negligence. We must all comply with the guidelines as set out by Groundspeak to prevent this happening.

I hope TDW will reconsider his decision to withdraw his caches and if not, I hope all other cachers will accept my apology for these caches being archived.

:)

It appears that the decision by 'Third Degree Witch' to remove all his...

I thought TDW was a 'she'...?

...or is there such a thing as a Third Degree Wizzard?

Just wondering :)

(& still can't see the basis of all this fuss to be fair) :)

:)

There are Male witches . . . . .

Not everything in the real world follows what JKR writes !! :D

Some people can get wound up by the smallest things. I should know, there was one post on one of our caches that made me fume (for ten minutes) ! I didn't bite though because I can do without the hassle.

I've had to bite my tongue when logging a few finds, there are some things I don't like about the caches that I've done .. . . ..

Come on TDW - reinstate your caches, we really do love you

Blessed Be

Logs and forum postings are an imperfect way of getting your true intentions across. It is very easy to misinterpret what is written and very difficult to spot any possible misinterpretation that could be made. If your posting motives were pure, then apologise, which you have done, and move on. Who knows what else may, or may not, have been said or have gone on as a background to this.

I agree with Alibags - I think there's more of a story here, but I'm not going looking for it. As for Mr Ollie, I can forgive..... BUT I CAN NEVER FORGET! - Seriously, I detect no snide in his comments. There was criticism (of an unnamed cache setter) but if you can't handle criticism, especially when you've done something 'wrong', you'll not get far in life. You can't please all the people all the time - which is a truism which applies to Mr Ollie and TDW equally.

SP

Sorry Simply Paul but I'm affraid you're wrong when you think there are darker implications. As a seasoned cache setter yourself, you should realise what is required of you as regards to your responsibilities.

I'm sorry to see that you now distrust me but only you can deal with that issue. I have no grudge against any cacher and none against TDW, even after this unfortunate episode.

You and I have met on numerous occasions and I have only found you polite and pleasant to talk to. It saddens me to think that this issue has led you to think different of me when I only have the 'sport ' and the moderators concerns in mind!

Edited by The Ollies

Is that all it was about? :) I thought I'd missed some personal attack. I remember reading that post and thought nothing more of it. If I'd read it and felt it was aimed at me, I'd have thought, "Oops! Forgot to do that!"

BTW. I just checked, and the official guidlines state:

"Also, clearly label your physical containers on the outside with appropriate information to reduce the risk of your cache being perceived as a danger to those that are unaware of our sport. "

Sorry Simply Paul but I'm affraid you're wrong when you think there are darker implications. As a seasoned cache setter yourself, you should realise what is required of you as regards to your responsibilities.

I'm sorry to see that you now distrust me but only you can deal with that issue. I have no grudge against any cacher and none against TDW, even after this unfortunate episode.

You and I have met on numerous occasions and I have only found you polite and pleasant to talk to. It saddens me to think that this issue has led you to think different of me when I only have the 'sport ' and the moderators concerns in mind!

Well doesn't this illustrate the limitations of the forum format for making points? :unsure:

My dear fellow! You've misunderstood my position completely! When I said there was more of a story in the background, I wasn't thinking of you - or any individual. It just seemed to me TDW's reaction was SO extreme there *must* be more to it than what I'd read on the forums. If not, a mere overreaction begins to look like the actions of the unhinged - and I'm sure TDW is in full command if their faculties.

Certainly no fingers were being pointed by me. I can usually spot 'a wrong 'um' and I've never thought of you - or any cachers I've spent time with - as falling into that group. A finer body of men and women I've not had the pleasure of knowing, and that's the truth.

As you say, as a setter, I am aware of my responsibilities of labelling caches and this is something I'm careful about. It's one reason that I don't use ammo cans - even if it were labelled harmless, people project their own fears onto the contents. A clear plastic box, on the other hand, is very unscary and should be 'transparently' full of nothing more threatening than a torch, pen, McD toy and Power Puff girls stickers. Nothing there to call the police about!

I'll just dissect my post to make my intentions clearer:

I agree with Alibags - I think there's more of a story here, but I'm not going looking for it.

Please see Ali's post and my notes, above

As for Mr Ollie, I can forgive..... BUT I CAN NEVER FORGET!

Tongue a long way in cheek. My own cheek

- Seriously, I detect no snide in his comments.

His - meaning your comments in the labelling thread

There was criticism (of an unnamed cache setter) but if you can't handle criticism, especially when you've done something 'wrong', you'll not get far in life.

You - meaning *anyone* reading this who makes a mistake and has problems about being told about it. Ok. I wasn't very clear there, was I? <_<

You can't please all the people all the time - which is a truism which applies to Mr Ollie and TDW equally.

And me, and Prince Charles... and everyone else. It's my way of saying don't take too much to heart because no one can please all the people all the time. However, something as easy as labelling a cache box shouldn't be beyond most peoples abilities. And if it is, they can always get help. :ph34r:

SP

TDW got some stick for rehiding my Great Ouse cache in a different location from where it was found over the weekend.

The fact that some pratt sometime before them had left it out in full view was not their fault.

TDW quite rightly rehid it in a location that sounds exactly where I had first placed it.

I hope TDW reconsider their stance over this matter...I had a few of their caches in my sites for a jaunt over Berko way.

To some extent I agree with SP on the use of ammo cans. Brilliant as they are for keeping your goodies clean and dry, they do present a potential scare. If, as a non-cacher, you found a mysterious metal box hidden in the woods (or possibly somewhere more sensitive), would you believe it if it said, "contents harmless" on the side?

Or am I just getting cynical?

Or paranoid?

Or is everyone out to get me? <_<

Anyone who uses e-mail in a professional context would be well advised to take a look at this thread - and a couple of others which have been causing controversy around here.

Having used e-mail since 1980 and thus been through more flame wars than you've all had hot dinners <_<, I hereby appoint myself uniquely qualified to analyse this further:

SP and The Ollies just nearly got into a ruck, caused by an almost microscopic difference of interpretation over what I'm guessing was probably just one sentence of Paul's (the one about the truism). Paul could *perhaps* have avoided that with a smiley, or perhaps by adding Prince Charles and (especially) himself, the first time. (You can never put too much self-deprecating humour in a post, especially if the general atmosphere is tense.) The Ollies could *perhaps* have tried to think of other interpretations for Paul's post. But in the circumstances, nobody did anything obviously wrong. (I saw this thread after Beer Monster's post and was about to say something like "hold on Olly I think you may have misread it", but I decided that at that stage it might not have been a positive contribution).

The problem is not so much with e-mails/forums as with written communication in general. It's just that when the post takes 2 or 3 days, even if we do think someone else might be slagging us off by letter, we know it's easier to phone them to check. When your *only* communication medium is by e-means (at least until the next pub evening), it's like having a conversation between two people equipped with Stephen Hawking's voice synthesizer. I suspect that there's a good reason why he makes so many jokes :unsure:.

Now, where's that link to the Open University Psychology Department ? (And I said Psychology, not Psychiatry !!!)

Nick

A mixture of my choppy-changy typing style (using 'you' to mean all readers, and the like) and Keith's heightened state of somthin' lead to a tiny breakdown in communications, which was also dealt with via a very civilised exchange of emails. We're friends again. Hooray! <_<

A better example of interpritational friction I've never seen. Let this be a lesson to you all. Now, where were we? Oh yes:

fuji.gif = molehill.jpg

I'm not going to lose sleep over it...Although it's 1.50am :unsure:

SP

Edited to sort out images

Edited by Simply Paul
There's only one way to get rid of a mole. Blow it's bloody head off!

What, like this? "huff, puff, blow"

I believe Turkey Trotter was referring to the classic oeuvre of Mr. Robert Davies, formerly of Moseley, Birmingham (like me!!).

Ah, I thought he was referring to the Jasper Carrot sketch