Plucker

Ebook format is Mobipocket reader, not Plucker. All the Plucker versions should work on OS3 devices. If you want to read the cache pages in Plucker, then you need .gpx files, not ebook, and you convert the .gpx to .html with GSAK, then run the Plucker desktop on the html to produce a .pdb file, which the Plucker viewer will read. If you want to read the ebook .prc files you receive, you need to download Mobipocket. I don't like it, and don't know anyone who does, but the Mobi folks seem to be very good marketers, maybe not as good as Microsoft, but good, because almost everything you buy for Palm in ebook format is for Mobipocket. I bought the Aeronautical Information Manual and the Federal Aviation Regulations, since I need access to them, but just gave up on it, because Mobipocket is so godawful difficult to use - no hyperlinks, poor search, etc. I downloaded the same information for free from the FAA's website and converted it all to Plucker, and it's far, far easier to use.

Thx for your replies, but I'm still having problems

I got GSAK, and for exporting I can either export to

1. Cachmate pdb file or

2. HTML.

Which one?

I tried both and the hotsynch worked but plucker is still giving the same error

message and I don't see the data file on the pda.

1. Cachmate pdb file or

2. HTML.

Which one?

I tried both and the hotsynch worked but plucker is still giving the same error

message and I don't see the data file on the pda.

If you want to use CacheMate you will have to download it from CachMate. It costs around $8.

If you export to HTML you'll need to run the generated HTML files through some like SunRise DeskTop which I believe does the same as Plucker Desktop.

Those 2 utils convert the HTML to a format that Plucker (on the Palm) can read.

Edited by Motley Crew

hey

I just finished setting up my handspring visor with Plunker for paperless cach retrieval on my pda. setup in not too bad and works great!

go to www.geocacher-u.com/resources/paperless.html and follow steps to the end

please read twice not to miss a step

email @dkorzenowsky@sasktel.net if you need help setting up

don

1. Cachmate pdb file or

2. HTML.

Which one?

If you want to use CacheMate you will have to download it from CachMate. It costs around $8.

If you export to HTML you'll need to run the generated HTML files through some like SunRise DeskTop which I believe does the same as Plucker Desktop.

Those 2 utils convert the HTML to a format that Plucker (on the Palm) can read.

Thx for your reply, boy, this is a never ending chain of software.

gpx to GSAK to sunrise to plucker.

Here's a post another person wrote at Sunrise site:

" the author says he created the freeware application, Plucker, for himself, whereas this Sunrise is a beta that will become commercial (maybe change name), and be charged for, at a future point.

He says at that point he will cease the Plucker freeware alternative, and will also cease the support for the support for showing the plucker, and the plucker format, as also support for plucker, within Sunsise.

He says Sunrise only uses his older plucker format in order to test Sunrise, and then he has a

>>> newer incompatable format that will replace the Plucker format/code. " :D:D:D

Sunrise requires java 1.4.2, I wonder if I have that or need to find it too.

Edited by jimmyreno

You don't have to use Sunrise, you can use the Plucker desktop. And even if Sunrise does go commercial, you can still use the free version you have now. And you need java installed for lots of other stuff, anyway, and probably already do. Yes, it's a never-ending chain, and you can thank Microsoft for that, mostly.

You have an obsolete handheld, so don't expect miracles from it. It will work for basic stuff, but you will increasingly find limits on what it will do as newer programs arrive. Just like any other computer. What was bleeding edge yesterday is obsolete tomorrow.

Thx for your reply, boy, this is a never ending chain of software.

gpx to GSAK to sunrise to plucker.

Yes it's all a bit convoluted but, when it's setup, you should have no problems. You could try setting up a GSAK macro to do most of this 'automatically' with little (or possibly no) user intervention. :rolleyes:

I occasionally use Sunrise when I want HTML on the Palm (I've never used Plucker (Desktop) as I read somehwere that Sunrise was much quicker).

The Plucker reader on the PDA is very good, I especially like the 'auto' scrolling.

I own a handspring Visor also,

When I attempt to search in my Handspring for a geocache that I have loaded in Plucker. is there a"find feature" to zoom to my geocache. in Plucker, how do you access the find feature???

or When I try and do a "find" outside of the Plucker software in the Handspring software for a geocache point name , it will not will go to the reference file in Plucker :any way around that.??

My Handspring Visor will only search for names etc..in the address folder not in hidden files (like any file in Iambic Tiny Sheet or Plucker)any users of Handspring out there to help me with search or find commands in my Visor :rolleyes:

Edited by dkorzenowsky

I own a handspring Visor also,

When I attempt to search in my Handspring for a geocache that I have loaded in Plucker. is there a"find feature" to zoom to my geocache. in Plucker, how do you access the find feature???

or When I try and do a "find" outside of the Plucker software in the Handspring software for a geocache point name , it will not will go to the reference file in Plucker :any way around that.??

My Handspring Visor will only search for names etc..in the address folder not in hidden files (like any file in Iambic Tiny Sheet or Plucker)any users of Handspring out there to help me with search or find commands in my Visor :rolleyes:

Yes I have cachemate already loaded, but i only use to document my geocache in the field

I see that I have to get a registered copy of cachemate first , mine is a free one which many features missing, then I can load loc and gpx files thru gc.com right??

Edited by dkorzenowsky

If you have Cachemate, which has all the information about the cache, descriptoin, hints, Past Logs, etc., I don't understand why you also need Plucker. Is it because you want to view the cache pages as they look online?

I've never used Plucker, so I'm sorry I can't help you there. Cachemate has been the only Geocaching program I have needed on my Palm.

I have more than 800 caches in my Default Cachemate database, more than I can get on my GPSr, and I can search by name or by proximity using it.