To The Decent And The Snides

dear all,

i have noticed over the last few weeks an undercurrent of certain people,who have made snidey comments and indirect verbal attacks upon myself.this i have taken in good heart as i expected a bit of stick..a=as im a newbie..b=as i dont arse lick as so many people seem to on here as to fit in with their individual cliques.HOWEVER i came across yet another direct attack tonight within the forum and im unwilling to fuel tittering 'children' any further...therefore i have withdrawn ALL my caches bar 2,these will be removed as soon as im that way..ALL tb's in my caches will of course be rescued and moved on to the next few caches i find..i fully intend to continue finding caches with NO intention of revenge or silly games.....BUT instead of writing fluffy little logs i will now be fully honest,whether that be good or bad..if a cache is crap it will be told as is..if a cache is good it will get told as is...i cant be the only person whose sick to the back teeth of neat little piles of firewood instead of a nicely hidden cache.......

lastly i address all the snidey feckers.......now read my find logs.....maybe u can find something within them to titter or backstab about.....i wont name you here as i have a sense of honour that will never be tarnished by the likes of you.i feel that placing caches for the likes of such people is a insult to my good meaning,time,effort and money.to all the other people who have enjoyed my caches i apoligize for what ive decided to do,i dont suffer fools or feckwits..not in my demeaner .

lastly i would like to reassure any owners of tb's that are within my caches that they will be retrieved and moved on safely,i fully intend to continue caching but with no caches myself.i would like to reassure people that i dont intend becoming a cache rogue eithier,not in my nature.

well thats about it :rolleyes:

bright blessings

TDW

I hope you don't regret any possible over-reaction??

I know nothing about the recent history re. forum comments etc. but... looking through your cache logs it seems that people are enjoying the finds!

I am also 'a newbie' and probably am making a hash of my placements and can expect variable comments, but it is only a game! Why not just let it ride for a bit?

'Fraid I can't get to your caches too easily from Northumberland!

All the best anyway!

littlejim

It seems a shame to archive all the caches. You must have put a fair amount of work into them.

I hope it all sorts its self out.

And if there has been any attacks. You should forward them to the moderators who I am sure will resolve the problem.

A real shame you've decided to take this action, you've picked some nice locations to place caches in and we've had a lot of fun doing them. :ph34r:

Also, we've just realised that we are not going to be able to finish "The Witches Grave" which we have been doing in stages over the past few weeks, which is unfortunate.

We would be happy to adopt a couple of your caches, as it would be a shame to lose them completely :D

Edited by Bekandian

Hi TDW

I'm sorry you have made this decision, but I respect your right to do so.

I would add that recently out of 23 caches found with some buddies in a day 7 were your caches. We found them most enjoyable (albeit one or two being a tad taxing for me, someone of advanced years!). The only criticism we had, and it was a minor one, was one of the cache was in a moisture laden plastic bag.

I ask you to reconsider, but fully understand if you choose not to.

Thanks for placing those 7 caches and enjoy your cache hunting. :ph34r:

Right i'll do the begging then :D . Please think carefully about your decision. I have had a quick look at your profile as to caches found and caches hidden. I don't know what's been said to you in the forums or in the cache logs (to be honest you've placed that many it'll take all night for me to find out :ph34r: )

But seriously, you seem to really enjoy finding and placing caches. I've only place one cache in nearly 8 months but you've placed loads!

Please don't let a few people ruin your (and our) fun! If necessary, ignore the forums if that's where the main problem has been, and concentrate on the actual finding/hiding business.

If you really do think that archiving your caches is the only way to go, then I can only respect your decision. But it makes me feel a bit embarrassed, to be honest, to think that I can go on enjoying the hobby whilst you seem to be almost suffering due to it :huh:

I hope enough people respond to your posting to encourage you to continue caching in whatever way you feel comfortable with.

I have yet to have the pleasure of finding one of your caches as you are a little too far south (as yet) for me to get to.

Wishing you you all the best. (we are not all "bad")

Matt (Nediam)

I concur. Please don't be put off by an insensitive few. Most of us are in it for the sport, and actively encourage others. There may be some who don't think that way, but please don't take it out on the rest of us.

The sport needs people like you who are prepared to put effort in for the pleasure of others.

Please reconsider.

I'm really sorry that you feel comments have been made personally attacking you. Apart from the thread a couple of weeks ago, regarding Members Only Caches, I haven't noticed any others in this forum.

Regarding the MOCs, it's always an issue for disagreement, but whilst members can place MOCs, they are allowed to, and those of us (me included) who don't pay the premium membership just have to put up with not finding those caches.

It's a real shame that you're stopping placing, as from the comments local members have posted, it seems that your caches were very good ones.

I for one, hope you reconsider this, and continue to place caches in future.

Nick

I suggest it probably all started when TDW converted all their caches to members only two weeks ago - which sparked some critisism including accusations of arrogance, elitism, playing dirty tricks etc.

And now you can add to that temperamental, vidictive and childish.

I'm sorry but I won't join in the raft of posts pleading with you to reconsider. Pandering to dummy-spitters has never been one of my strong points.

They are your caches, for you do what you want with them. I hope that removing them gave you the comfort that you sought.

-

I suggest it probably all started when TDW converted all their caches to members only two weeks ago - which sparked some critisism including accusations of arrogance, elitism, playing dirty tricks etc.

Ah, I remember now.

Not a reason to archive to me. But your caches do what you want.

Your caches do what you will. I hope no one has made a special trip to do them or is on holiday with the cache print outs etc that would be very harsh.

I remembered the MOC debate and saw nothing harsh with what was said in that thread. Remember 1 - 2000 active cachers out there not all off them post in these forums.

Firstly, I think that as a community we should stop and take stock of what it happening here. whether in the Forum or perhaps through Personal Messages, or e-mails, a fellow member has been made to feel so alienated, that he felt that he had no option but to drastically scale back his participation in his hobby. For anyone to be driven to this, in any situation, is a downright shame.

I've never visited any of TDW's caches but from looking at the archives, it seems that they were already 'member-only' and so he was already practicising what he was preaching. For them to be removed would seem, from my perspective at least, to be affecting exactly the category of player that TDW was trying to encourage/promote ...

Perhaps he will reconsider or, if not, find a home on NaviCache/TerraCaching and will feel able to re-place the caches that have already given so much pleasure to others. I hope so.

Edited by __chris__

Rating the OP according to the criteria laid down in the Forum Suicide thread...

This suicide was quite good, for a first effort. It contains almost all of the compulsory ingredients: petulance, paranoia, self-justification and vapid whingeing. Marks were lost because there was no proper conspiracy theory against the poster.

The poster's hopeless spelling and grammar were exactly what the judges look for, and an inability to use the <SHIFT> key properly was a nice touch, earning an extra mark.

Overall "forum suicide" rating:

Well done.

Edited by wildlifewriter
Is there are reason why you haven't (as yet) let anyone adopt any of these caches?

As I would have adopted two of them.

Bekie.

Once the caches are archived then the locations are "up for grabs".

If you think they are still a good places for caches, go and hide one of your own there. It's the same as adoption but using your tupperware.

PS Don't forget to write the cache name on the box and in the log book. :):):)

Edited by SlytherinAlex

Sad? Perhaps.

Over reaction? Almost certainly.

TDW's choice? Definitely.

All I can say is that comments are often misconstrued in any written medium. It's all too easy to read in things that are not there, or not intended in the way they are taken.

I'd like to add that as a forum, we are one the most polite and non-judgemental of any I've belonged to. Keep it up!

Rating the OP according to the criteria laid down in the Forum Suicide thread...

This suicide was quite good, for a first effort. It contains almost all of the compulsory ingredients: petulance, paranoia, self-justification and vapid whingeing. Marks were lost because there was no proper conspiracy theory against the poster.

The poster's hopeless spelling and grammar were exactly what the judges look for, and an inability to use the <SHIFT> key properly was a nice touch, earning an extra mark.

Well done.

I'm sorry but I can't stop laughing at that

:):):):D

I know it makes me a bad person

:D

Well done.

I would deduct points as the 'suicidee' keeps coming back and reporting their progress. Surely a successful forum suicide should be one final post that leaves an air of mystery. I'm not sure we need to be kept up to date with which caches are archived on here. It seems like at attempt to get more attention to me.

Well done.

I would deduct points as the 'suicidee' keeps coming back and reporting their progress. Surely a successful forum suicide should be one final post that leaves an air of mystery. I'm not sure we need to be kept up to date with which caches are archived on here. It seems like at attempt to get more attention to me.

Im not sure I agree, its well known that in the best of thrillers the protagonist always comes back after everyone is convinced he/she/it is dead.

However, I do feel the initial points awarded was overly generous, the retribution of removing caches is in my opinion weak and unimaginative, surely a better revenge would to be to flood the area with unlabled micros with wildly inacurate waypoints.

Having been watching what has been going on, we just can't help but feel that if any attacks have been made then it has been from TDW. After all, finding out that you have made a boo-boo by not marking your boxes is hardly worth getting all upptiy about!!!!!!!!!

As for archiving their caches-well fine, no skin off anybodies noses-it seems that there are others willing to use the places for their own caches anyway.

Now lets get on to the snidey fecker side of things, absolutly no need for this at all-not only is it rude, it also shows an incredible amount of ignorance-no matter how angry you may feel, there is no need to drag everybody into it(if you now consider us to be among the "snidey feckers" then so be it :) )

Lets now look at the cliques-as you have said in a previous post that you're not in it to make friends-that is your wish, however we have made some blooming good mates through this sport/game, it is unfortunate that you do not wish to do the same!

All in all, this matter has gone way overboard-I just hope you can retrieve your rattle and get over it.

Oh well, thats our 50p's worth-hope we haven't upset too many people or this could open up a whole new can of worms!

Happy caching everybodyxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I would deduct points as the 'suicidee' keeps coming back and reporting their progress. Surely a successful forum suicide should be one final post that leaves an air of mystery.

No. The only full and final Forum Suicide is one which contains enough personal abuse of moderators/approvers/Groundspeak staff/other members to get the poster banned from the site.

This would certainly qualify for a maximum score of 10, but is difficult to achieve without some kind of long-term personality disorder.

Such "perfect" suicides are normally to be found near the bottom of a topic titled: "Why hasn't my new cache been approved after three whole days?"

[Edited for the hell of it]

Edited by wildlifewriter

Hmm another teddy thrown out I see :)

Can't see the logic if someone is getting stick on forums there must have been a spark to start it - as for archiving caches that are just for subscribers when only one or two members have found them is like really spoiling it for inocent bystanders but what the hell I dont live knowhere near any of them so I think that task was wasted.-

I say if you get grief well either give it back or just don't join in, but taking tupperware out of the equasion is just pointless- it is almost as vindictive as going out to trash the cache of the grief givers in a reverse order.

Hang on... I think I`ve got a tissue here somewhere. There you go, have a good blow and dry your eyes.

I`ve only been caching a short while but even I have noticed that not everybody in the sport agrees with everything that is said. If we don`t like what a person says about us we can either disagree, or ignore them. What we don`t have to do is have a Lily Savage style hissy fit.

I stopped doing that at primary school.

This submitted by Mr Roo. Mrs Roo is a little more tolerant as she`s used to our young children anyway.

Having said all the foregoing I have to say I find all the comments a real hoot. Happy to see this discussion continue for a while yet. <_<

<_<  This all makes veh veh sad reading

Maybe a page full of congratulations threads isn't so bad after all, hehe :unsure:

Oooooooooooh, a congratulations thread. I remember them, soooooooooo lovely. Unlike Mr Roo who thoroughly enjoys the "matey banter"; I like the pink and fluffiness of a good congrats thread!!!!