Phone Cache?

Milbank

Has anyone ever done a multi-cache that included having to call someone for the coordinates?

I was thinking of a three part cache.

First part would have some quarters in it along with coordinates and a phone number.

The coordinates would lead to a pay phone.

At the payphone you would call the number from the first leg of the cache.

The number would be to my cell phone.

If I was not able to answer and tell you the coordinates to the last leg of the cache I would have them on my voice mail.

Would you do a cache like this?

Great replies, thanks.

I'm going to set it up.

Some problems I see with my first idea.

If someone not playing the game just finds the first part of the cache they will have my cell number. :rolleyes:

I will make getting the cell number the first two legs of the cache.

First leg will only have part of the number and second leg will have the other part.

Another problem with my first idea.

Once they have the cell number and coordinates to the payphone what is going to keep them from just skipping the payphone leg of the cache and calling from there own cell phone?

I think it would be best if I make it part of the logging requirements that you must email me or leave on my voice mail what building is closest to the pay phone.

They still could use there cell phone to call, but atleast I will know they had to find that leg of the cache.

Then they can be on there way to the fourth and last leg of the cache. :unsure:

Anyone else see any problem I may run into?

I'm the owner of one of those and the "phone maintainer" for the other. Woof! and I have had lots of fun with these caches. Only a couple of people have cheated, most folks tell an interesting story about their encounter with the unknown person on the other end of the phone.

Unfortunately, the phone used for my cache has been disconnected. Woof! is trying to find a new phone for me to use.

Jamie

Along simalar lines. We had a cache where you'd go to the first waypoint and it would give you instructions to call out a certain phrase on a certain FRS channel. If the cache owner was listening he'd respond with the coordinates for the container.

Kinda fun, but a lot of work for the owner. It didn't last very long.

If the cache owner was listening he'd respond...

I think therein lies the problem with some of these caches. It needs some auto-response that gives the coordiantes if the cache hider can't be there to do it. Phone messages, low frequency broadcasts, etc. I've heard of all of them - and they sound quite cool, but it really needs to be automated to be successful.

Try to have one of the numbers on the Phone it self be one of the numbers they need to call your cell so if the pay phone is 555-5554 and you sell is 555-5455 you can tell them to take the last number in the pay phone number to put into your number and then who cares if they call from their cell at lest they are at the spot

Great replies, thanks.

I'm going to set it up.

Some problems I see with my first idea.

If someone not playing the game just finds the first part of the cache they will have my cell number. :rolleyes:

I will make getting the cell number the first two legs of the cache.

First leg will only have part of the number and second leg will have the other part.

Another problem with my first idea.

Once they have the cell number and coordinates to the payphone what is going to keep them from just skipping the payphone leg of the cache and calling from there own cell phone?

I think it would be best if I make it part of the logging requirements that you must email me or leave on my voice mail what building is closest to the pay phone.

They still could use there cell phone to call, but atleast I will know they had to find that leg of the cache.

Then they can be on there way to the fourth and last leg of the cache. :unsure:

Anyone else see any problem I may run into?

I can fix the cell phone number to muggles problem.

You find some statue or building with a distinctive color (doesn't have to be odd, just definite).

You give the coordinates to the object as the first step in the multicache.

On the web page you set up a color wheel with that color included. The size should fit a CD that is numbered 1-12 like the face of a clock.

The instructions to the cacher is to turn the color wheel to put the color of the statue at 12. On the web page is a chart with a phone number that has some numbers blanked out by different colors.

When the wheel is turned to twelve, the colors coordinate with the missing numbers from your phone number. By using the color from place X and a color from the payphone bank, you could force the issue of going to both legs of the cache.

So you could send them to place X, get the color, then to place Y (which is a pay phone) and have them call you using the decoded phone number to get the coords for the real cache.

(credit: BlackyV)

Edited by bigredmed

Yes you can not have part of the logging requirements be an approval from you to log the cache. This issue was brought up a while back and Keystone Approver said you could not do that. Any caches that require it are granfathered in. This is so if you are to busy or on vacation etc.... the person can still log the cache. Also if you have to answer to give out the coordinates that may not fly either. ONly if you haee a dedicated line would it work I think. GL any ways

cheers

I hate to be nit picky but I just wanted to bring this to your attention wouldn't requiring the use of a PAYphone violate the cache listing guidelines.

Commercial Caches / Caches that Solicit

Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services.

Solicitations are also off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

Some exceptions can be made. In these rare situations, permission can be given by the Geocaching.com web site. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first.

Is there a reason you want them to visit this specific pay phone?

And will you keep restocking the quarters? (i know of an arcade i'd like to visit :rolleyes: )

But yea I'd probably do a cache like that.

Did a cache a couple weeks ago, that had to go to certain place and tune your radio (done from the car) to a certain channel to hear the next location given in Morse Code, very neat.

Is there a reason you want them to visit this specific pay phone?

And will you keep restocking the quarters? (i know of an arcade i'd like to visit tongue.gif )

If the quarts don't get used up to fast I would keep restocking it.

I would also say something about bringing your own quarts just incase it is empty.

No specific reason to visit the payphone other then I thought it would make the cache a bit more fun having to use a phone to get to the other leg of the cache.

Commercial Caches / Caches that Solicit

Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services.

Hmm, this maybe a problem.

In my opinion a phone cache would be commercial to the lowest degree. right now i'd use up more than that in gas money to get to my closest unfound cache. What is a quarter or fifty cents for a phone call to someone who can pay for internet service, afford to spend at least 100 dollars on a GPS unit, and drive around finding caches? I think it would be ridiculous if they didnt approve it for that reason.

Thanks for the thread, I've gotten some ideas for future caches. Gold luck with the pay phone cache. I thought of setting one up using the digits of pay phone numbers and do a trip thru town with it but there was one similar in a neighboring town. You ended up visiting 7 different pay phones and travelled all over the city, only to end up where you started and there was an ammo box hidden in the bushes. I was saying things that would make a sailor blush after finding it.

I think there should be a "designation system" section for caches and hiders could choose a commercial or semi commercial designation for their cache, as well as non-commercial. The more options you give people the better the game. In this case the finders have the option of what type they prefer to hunt and the hiders don't have to worry about abandoning a whole cache idea because someone may have to pay $.50.

:ph34r: