Broke My Geocherry

Mr.BadExample

Actually I helped on the Bear's Den geocache in Massachusetts, and another near Hadley with a good friend of mine, who gave me the geocaching bug. But yesterday was my first attempt with my own GPS. I hike a lot so I picked up a Sportrak color to manage my backtrack route in case I got offcourse, and figured I ought to see how many caches were in my area (northern NJ). And wow, there's a lot, many in favorite relaxing spots.

First one was the Cemetery Stumper, which had me for a while, because of bad math :laughing: Great cache. The next was the Mills Musical Cache at Freak Peak, which was a night hunt. That was fun because with goto on, there's no backtrack, and we had some fun finding the Lenape trail back to the car! Knowing the direction is one thing... bushwhacking at night in the mud is another. And my 6D maglite decided to sputter out. Luckily the 5 year old batteries worked after shuffling them around, or we would have had a real adventure. Thanks to my buddy John and his Marine-trained land nav skills, we made it back quickly.

This site is really well designed, I'm going to go premium today. With EasyGPS and this site, geocaching couldn't be easier. I'm hoping to set up a few caches of my own, as hiking in NJ takes you to some remote places- it's always surprising what hideaways this relatively small, rocky state can hold in its peninsular borders.

Welcome to the group. But be careful: it can get addictive. Or so I hear.

I know I can quite whenever I want. Really. :laughing:

But on a more serious note, be sure to find a good number of caches before placing your own - it'll give you a better idea of what works well and what doesn't.

Have fun!

~erik~

Welcome to geocaching. Northern NJ could always use another good cache hider. BTW, be sure to avoid the caches hidden by this guy.

Actually, you will find we're pretty lucky in northern NJ because we've yet the see the micro spew that is so prevalent in many areas. Lots of quality caches to seek and some great cache hiders. For some quality caches, look for ones placed by Team Rampant Lion, Treequest, Skully & Mulder, Avroair, Team Magster, The Artful Dodger and Mxyzptlk (among others). They will provide excellent examples for your future hides.

Edited by briansnat

Thanks all!

Brian, I just downloaded your Pyramid Mt area caches, hoping to do them this weekend, even in the crappy weather. I don't mind the rain, and it sure keeps the trails from being crowded!

Been meaning to do Federal Hill for a while- it's part of the reason I bought the GPS- but I'm waiting for a clear day. Bushwhacking in strange territory will be enough fun without a downpour.

I work at Port Newark, it's a pity that it's too dangerous traffic-wise and Port Authority Police chasing you-wise to really put any caches here, though there are some fishing spots that might be safe enough .... we'll see!