Downgrade 60cs Firmware

I got a reply from Garmin about the re route lock up.

Thank you for contacting GARMIN International,

It appears that the unit has gotten some corrupt data in it so to correct

this I would suggest doing a hard reset on the unit. This will clear out all

data in the unit and reset it to factory defaults and settings. However, you

will lose all user information such as Waypoints, tracks, and routes that

you have stored in your unit. If you wish to save this information before

resetting your unit, you can save it to your computer using a PC interface

cable and your MapSource software.

Following are instructions on how to perform a Master Reset on your unit:

-With the unit turned off, press and hold the follow buttons: PAGE + ENTER,

then press and release the POWER. The unit will power up asking if you want

to release all user data. Select yes and the unit will be reset.

After the master reset please place your unit outside so that it has a clear

view of the sky for 25 to 30 minutes so that the unit can acquire new

almanac data.

Best Regards,

Any one know the function of .rgn file in the update?

I found that the last 3 digits are related to the firmware version. (e.g. xxxxx370.rgn is for version 3.7)

It seem that xxxxx360.rgn can't overwrite xxxxx370.rgn which already written into my 60CS.

Any idea??

Edited by kinchan

Just set up a separate folder then extract the *.exe file to that new folder. then go to that folder and run the updater from there, then it will only take the *.rgn file that is in that folder.

****Warning, You Will lose all settings and user data that are currently in your unit if you downgrade your firmware!****

Edited by CenTexDodger
I got a reply from Garmin about the re route lock up.

Thank you for contacting GARMIN International,

It appears that the unit has gotten some corrupt data in it so to correct

this I would suggest doing a hard reset on the unit. This will clear out all

data in the unit and reset it to factory defaults and settings. However, you

will lose all user information such as Waypoints, tracks, and routes that

you have stored in your unit. If you wish to save this information before

resetting your unit, you can save it to your computer using a PC interface

cable and your MapSource software.

Following are instructions on how to perform a Master Reset on your unit:

-With the unit turned off, press and hold the follow buttons: PAGE + ENTER,

then press and release the POWER. The unit will power up asking if you want

to release all user data. Select yes and the unit will be reset.

After the master reset please place your unit outside so that it has a clear

view of the sky for 25 to 30 minutes so that the unit can acquire new

almanac data.

Best Regards,

I tried the master reset but I still have the same problem. The tech at garmin can't reproduce it. I am starting to get frustrated!

I have experienced a similar problem with my 60CS after uploading Ver 3.70. When autorouting and using the recaluation feature to go from on-road, shortest distance, to off-road...the unit locks up and can only be reset by removing a battery. I too sent Garmin an e-mail reporting the problem, but have not heard anything from them. <_<

Can anyone recall if this was a problem with the Beta 3.61 version? That release had almost all (maybe all) the "fixes" that Ver 3.70 contains. I had 3.61 loaded and did not have any problems with it.

I think I'll reload 3.61 and run that for a while...I'll report back if the lock up problem continues.

Regards,

Bill

Looks Like my 60C with 3.70 also locks up after clicking the recalculate then chose the opposite options (OFF ROAD or FOLLOW ROAD)..... I did find that I could go back to the old way I was doing it before I found out about the recalculate option... <_< .... I would do a find cache and GOTO and FOLLOW ROAD....then when I got parked I would do the FIND again using the RECENT FOUND list then re-chose the cache...GOTO... OFF ROAD..... that seems to still work without locking up..... must have something to do with the recalculate logic.... :unsure: ... I guess I'll send my email to Garmin.... maybe 3.71 will be soon... :ph34r:

Edited by hardwire
I tryed the lock up tips and yep it locks up doing recalc on/off road...I sure hope they fix this....Should I go do a master reset?????

Delay

A master-reset won't change anything,since this is a firmware bug...

The only thing we can do is wait for 3.80 to arrive and,untill then,use the "recent found" function!

(how do you like your 60cs so far??)

I had the same lockup problem after updating to firmware 3.7 last week. Same circumstances as well -- from a Follow Road to Off Road, or vice versa, using the "Recalculate" menu option. I sent an e-mail to Garmin and received "almost" the exact same reply as above --basically, perform a hard reset and "that will fix it." If not, I should ask for an RMA number and return the unit. I mentioned the fact that I've read similar posts by others over this past weekend describing the exact same problem. Garmin insisted that it was "news to them" and they have not heard of this happening to anyone else (regardless that others said they e-mailed Garmin with the problem)!!!

I wish they'd get their heads out from where the sun don't shine and respect their customers. Are they going to tell us all to get RMA numbers and get our units "repaired" because their software has a bug in it -- which they refuse to acknowledge?

Yeah, either back off to 3.5 or 3.6, or just wait for 3.7.x or 3.8 -- maybe they'll realize they made a mistake and fess up.

Very frustrating...

I've had mine lock up a few times. The good news is I no longer take the batteries out... it's easier to slip a finger nail in to break the connection. ;) I can hardly wait for the Nevada Navigational Rally and have the darn thing lock up during a check point challenge. Then there'll be fireworks. :P

Here's hoping they get it together before summer. :mad:

I tryed the lock up tips and yep it locks up doing recalc on/off road...I sure hope they fix this....Should I go do a master reset?????

Delay

A master-reset won't change anything,since this is a firmware bug...

The only thing we can do is wait for 3.80 to arrive and,untill then,use the "recent found" function!

(how do you like your 60cs so far??)

I am lovin it...Its so fun to play around with...I still cant get a waas lock but thats ok...Anyway see ya!

Some of you should really calm down....you shouldn't expect ANY company to automatically know about problems with their products. This new firmware was just released so it will take time for them to receive enough inputs (complaints) so that they know that it's a legitimate problem. It would be helpful for you when you call into their support line to let them know that this looks like a known problem with other users as well and not just a malfunction with yours. That way they'll escalate this much faster.

As for thjose of you who want older versions of the firmware, feel free to download it from my web site. I have 3.4, 3.5, and 3.6. Take your pick!

http://home.earthlink.net/~jcc321/themothe...lblogs/id3.html

Edited by jcc123

We also experienced the lock-up on recalculating during extensive use on a cache machine run today.

We also noticed that there was some difficulty getting the display to switch smoothly between day and night mode then back again.

All new quirks since last week's upgrade.

I'm sure fixes will be in the works soon.

I reloaded/reverted to ver. 3.61 Beta on my 60CS two days ago. Used it extensively over the past 2 days and experienced no lock ups during the autoroute/recalculate/off-road exercise. That seems pretty strange though because when I view the .rgn files -- 3.61 looks exactly like 3.70 :P

I have the next 4 days off and will using the 60CS a lot...if it stays lock up free I'll just stick with 3.61 until 3.71 or 3.80 are relased :lol: .

Regards,

Bill

I reported (along with others) the lockup after upgrading to 3.7 -- Garmin's reply to me was that they hadn't heard anything about it, which was days AFTER others reported sending Garmin an indication that they were having problems. I was told to do a hard reset (ha!), which I KNEW wouldn't work, but did it anyway. They also said if it didn't work to send the unit in for repair! (What, me and hundreds of OTHER users?) Sure enough, it didn't work. I went BACK to 3.6 on Friday, cached all day on Sunday, and never experienced a lockup. Appears that 3.7 is just riddled with bugs -- my suggestion. STICK WITH 3.6 until Garmin posts another update...

I emailed Garmin over the weekend about the lockup problem. They should have had numerous complaints by now This is the reply I received today.

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

We are not aware of nay bugs in the software. This is the first I have

heard of this. If you are doing an active route and switch to off road that

may create a problem. Please feel free to contact us at 1-800-800-1020 with

additional information.

Does Garmin's left hand not know about the right, or do they just have their head in the sand? From the reply, I'm guessing there isn't going to be a quick fix coming out.

Back to 3.60. B)

Regards,

True Grid

I disagree. If many users report a problem, they will put people to working on it. They may give you the stock "Thank you for contacting..." answer, but they really want to keep you, the customer, happy, and they have people looking into it. They want you to purchase your next GPS from them, not their competitors. The more they hear from different users, the more attention they will give to it.

Not only am i having the lockup problem, i can't get my compass to stay calabrated.

When i switch it on it does not register any movement (as indicated by the speed sensor) I had great reception at all times, and the second i switched off the compass it fixed itself.

Any thoughts?

I asked Garmin do double-check that they had not heard of any issues with lockups on the new 3.70 firmware. This is the response:

If you would like to send the unit in for repair I will be glad to set up

an RMA for you. I have talked with my supervisors and they have not heard of

anything like you describe either. I will be happy to have it looked at if

you want me to. Please let me know what you want me to do.

Since several here have reported the bug to Garmin, I'm thinking they're not coming out with 3.71 any time soon.

:(

i can't get my compass to stay calabrated.

I haven't experienced the v3.70 lockups yet. I will have to do some testing on that.

I DO have the compass problem. The compass seems to have a brain fart and forget where North is quite often. I do a Compass re-calibrate and then it seems OK again for a while. Annoying.