Labelling Of Ammo Boxes

I had an e-mail this morning from a police officer informing me of an incident with a cache that was reported to them. I quote from the e-mail

"The cache was reported to Police as a potential hazard, as it is an old ammunition box marked 'fragmentation grenades'. Police attended and a search was carried out and due to the type of markings on the box serious consideration was given to Bomb Disposal units being called to carry out a controlled explosion."

I wanted to remind people of the need to clearly label ALL cache containers properly as required in the guidelines. In this case the ammo box hadn't even been painted over.

I'm now working with the police to try and sort things out.

Edited by Lactodorum

We stumbled on a cache whilst taking part in an easter egg hunt at event cache 'Bunny's been to Beds'. Although the cache container was only of a 'Tupperware' type, it had no markings on the lid which would supply the information of geocache name, code number or owner. Upon opening the log book, there was still none of the necessary information required to comply with geocaching guidelines.

We all signed in, none the wiser, and were informed of which cache it was later.

We have completed some other caches belonging to the owner and have to admit that we're not sure about seeing any information on the lids of these conainers. Perhaps a quick E-mail from yourself, Mr Lactodorum sir, might prevent any further problems as they are a prolific placer of caches, and one is situated VERY close to an infant school.

:laughing:

Lacto,

I *knew* which cache it was as soon as I read the post. Sue & I were FTF back in May last year. Then the box still had the explosive hazard warning label on the outside, (a similar thing to the signs you see on road tankers).

I removed the sign, email the owner and made an appropriate comment on the web and cache log. Obviously, the owner did not act upon it.

If it helps, I can take a trip down to the cache and zap it...

I've seen a couple with a Geocache sticker on one side and the original ammunition info on the other. There was one I went to that wasn't marked as a Geocache. I think in future if I see any I'll let the owner know of this thread. Might be worth carrying a permanent marker around to cross out any incorrect labeling on a cache.

When I think of the lengths we go to, to camouflage our ammo boxes. Just makes me think that some people just don`t take the time to think.

We spray paint ours, and then spray the "Geocache - Harmless" stencil on it. Doesn`t take a lot of time to do, and saves a lot of worry. Some of the ammo boxes do have some strange writing on them, bullets, shells, etc. Quick scrub with a wirebrush and spray and it`s all gone.

Even done one is textured rock paint. Camouflaging them not to look like ammo boxes is most of the fun :laughing:

Pengy

Where can I get one of those? I have a black-painted ammo box ready and waiting to be deployed, but was wondering how to do the lettering. I suppose I'd have to cut the holes out myself? :rolleyes:

Go to a craftshop, buy a letter stencil, draw on a stiff piece of card or plastic, "Geo-Cache - Harmless", then cut it out with a craft knife, and spray. Once you`ve made on, you can use it over and over again.

Pengy

We spray paint ours, and then spray the "Geocache - Harmless" stencil on it.

Where can I get one of those? I have a black-painted ammo box ready and waiting to be deployed, but was wondering how to do the lettering. I suppose I'd have to cut the holes out myself? :rolleyes:

I made my own. Printed the lettering onto card and then cut it out with a craft knife . . .

You can download a 'stencil' font which does the job very well.

When I think of the lengths we go to, to camouflage our ammo boxes.  Just makes me think that some people just don`t take the time to think.

We spray paint ours, and then spray the "Geocache - Harmless" stencil on it.  Doesn`t take a lot of time to do, and saves a lot of worry.  Some of the ammo boxes do have some strange writing on them, bullets, shells, etc. Quick scrub with a wirebrush and spray and it`s all gone.

Even done one is textured rock paint.  Camouflaging them not to look like ammo boxes is most of the fun  :rolleyes:

Pengy

I'm going to have a go at this idea, with a few labels on the outside of the box

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/new_page_4.htm

Is there a particular weather-proofed spray paint you use?

We usually just use spray paint for metal. Bit of grey or black primer first, then choose your colour, whatevers the cheapest. Car spray paint usually. :) A few bangs and scraps usually add to the effect. We usually have a few, some grey, some green, some brown, depending on where we are going to put it. Although you can`t go wrong with black usually. Good for hiding in the shadows :)

Pengy

A home-made stencil is an easy fix.

cachebox.jpg

These were rusty as hell so bead blasted them, etch primed and coated with synthetic car paint to rust proof, finally oversprayed with matt green etch primer and used satin black for camaflouge, and stencilled with a sandy coulered primer.

And before anyone asks no it doesn't have 'BOMB' on the other side! :)

When I think of the lengths we go to, to camouflage our ammo boxes.  Just makes me think that some people just don`t take the time to think.

We spray paint ours, and then spray the "Geocache - Harmless" stencil on it.  Doesn`t take a lot of time to do, and saves a lot of worry.  Some of the ammo boxes do have some strange writing on them, bullets, shells, etc. Quick scrub with a wirebrush and spray and it`s all gone.

Even done one is textured rock paint.  Camouflaging them not to look like ammo boxes is most of the fun  :)

Pengy

I'm going to have a go at this idea, with a few labels on the outside of the box

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/new_page_4.htm

I was really impressed with that, until the last photo - the one with an ammo can sat in a bush.