Nj Statewide Cache Hunt

Geoman007

Would anyone still participate after last year's disaster? :) If so, this year there will definately be new rules added to keep things under control. If done the hunt would definately go back to the old format where everyone followed the same course in a loop fashion around the state. I may even consider doing just a county hunt to keep things under a day. That being said, would anyone want to participate in the event. If there are enough people interested, then it shall be done. :o

I would definitely do it again, especially if it went back to the loop format. I liked the two day aspect of the race and I really liked visiting the diferent areas statewide. If the dates work I am definitely in. Thanks Geoman. :) PS: Even though last year was somewhat of a disaster, JoiseyGirl and I still had a lot of fun. :laughing:

Edited by lakelady

I might be interested if it were a rally type format.

Stages calculated by drive time (ie, "quickest route" by Mapquest), penalties for going too fast (I have too many tickets not to have something keeping me in check :laughing: ), all competitors together at the start then launched at 5-10 minute intervals, check points for a mid-day break and evening "event" (party) and break overnight (hotel stay) to check standings and for some socializing. etc... Might take a few additional volunteers to pull off but would add a new dimension.

I didn't participate last year but read a lot of logs and they weren't too encouraging. The thought of being in the car for hours and the primary connection to the competition and other competitors being through the website is not appealing to me. But, in fairness, that is the opinion of someone voicing an inexperienced personal preference.

I would be interested if it's a more logical loop route. I think I would like a county hunt even more (not as much driving - maybe time to socialize afterwards) -- plus since I live in the same county as you it would be close for me :laughing:

I concur, it would be nice if the hunt could be completed in several hours so we can meet a central point afterwards. The circuit is a better concept but multiple start points would be nice too. Also the option to go in a clockwise or counter clockwise direction would be nice too. I think the prospect of running into another cacher along the way adds to the adventure.

How about the start and end point at a campground? I may be up for a loop trip and my wife may be able to help with a stage station or something similar. Make it a sat. event witha social sat. night and open caching in the area on sunday so everyone can find geoman 's caches before they go home.

How about the start and end point at a campground? I may be up for a loop trip and my wife may be able to help with a stage station or something similar. Make it a sat. event witha social sat. night and open caching in the area on sunday so everyone can find geoman 's caches before they go home.

I think this idea is great!! I had a great time last year... I'd be all over this again! I loved it so much I had my own in NEPA in honor of GeoMan...

You could also consider doing it the way the MGS does Caches Across Maryland. 10 caches are hidden around the state, cache info is released on a particular date. You have a couple weeks to find all 10 caches, and then you'll get the coords for an event cache.

I'm heading down to Maryland soon to start finding those 10 caches :lol:

You could also consider doing it the way the MGS does Caches Across Maryland. 10 caches are hidden around the state, cache info is released on a particular date. You have a couple weeks to find all 10 caches, and then you'll get the coords for an event cache.

I'm heading down to Maryland soon to start finding those 10 caches :o

I am familiar with the Maryland event (after talking to Robert) and it looks like a great way to get the whole state (and those outside) invovled. My wife has some reservations about driving 200 miles and searching for caches at night areas where we have never been... me, on the other hand, I know there is nothing more scary out in the woods than myself.

The Maryland CAM has 10 caches placed around the state each with a clue to where a special event is being held. All those completing the 10 caches can goto the ultra top-secret location of the event. :o

It is a good possibility I would be up to driving around the garden state. Maybe more as a loop than a zig zap... just have to make sure I have the LI flag when I am doing it!

I like the sound of that - we'll be there too. Remember when the Redcoats were running with the Union Jack at the end of Shaka Zulu... :D