Dc/md/va Get Together?

bicknell

Oddly enough, I located a shell used as a survey mark today, although not one submitted to the NGS. On a local military base I took this Picture of a 50mm shell pushed into the ground as a survey point. It had a tag on it with vital info and three stakes around it.

It was about 120 feet from the supposed location of KW3066 GAP, which I could not find.

holograph -

I think you're right about the capped well at HV8236. Sixthings took a look at my photos (he's a. an experienced benchmark hunter, b. professionally knowledgeable about metals and their industrial uses, and, incidentally, c. my son) and he immediately judged the "shell casing" to be a five-inch (inside diameter) galvanized water pipe with a iron/steel cap affixed (welded? - I didn't examine the seam) to the top.

The materials don't conform, but the object does look like a 155mm shell.

In my NGS recovery, I described what I saw - a flat ferrous disk affixed to a galvanized pipe.

Sorry, Me & Bucky.

Will

Nice find Will. Your recovery note is fantastic!

While I haven't seen many shell casings of that size in my line of work, I have seen many well casings, and I agree that this looks like a capped well casing. Its puzzling enough (and different enough) that I would still love to find it the next time I am in the area.

While I was hoping that someone would go after it, I never imagined that it would be found so quickly. Now about that Earthenware Jug that I want to find . . . :);)