Someone Deleted My Find

Tonight I was informed that a find of mine from September, 2004, was deleted. I have emailed the cache owner who has not replied to me. Although it was not a virtual, there were questions to answer. I logged the find in the logbook, answered the questions, emailed the answers to the owner, and logged it on the web site. Now, several months later, without any advance warning and for no apparent reason, he/she chose to delete it. First of all, shouldn't there be some geocachers' etiquette about informing me? I cannot imagine why it was done as I did everything correctly. Any ideas?

First recognize that you may not have done it correctly. If your log was wrong, or a spoiler, or contained something they found offensive they could have deleted it for those reasons, or others.

Having said that to not tell you why your log was delted was rude. Emailing the owner was the right thing to do. It puts you in the position of waiting.

The answers were correct. I did post a photo but indicated it was a spoiler. Where I come from, the cache owners usually indicate in their descriptions if they will delete spoiler photos. And after so many months?? Give me a break! I agree, there should have been an email first.

Thanks.

I'm sorry that happened to you. It will be interesting to see what the cache owner finally says . . . if they ever contact you.

I recently went to a unique place out in the California desert. While I was there, I took tons of pictures, and just before the batteries went dead in my GPSr, I took a reading from the top of the "mountain" thinking I would submit it as a "virtual" after I got home.

Well, it turned out it already was a virtual . . . :rolleyes:

Even though I had not taken a picture of my GPSr with Salvation Mountain in the background, the cache owners allowed me to log the cache anyway. :laughing:

That attitude seems like more of the spirit of what Geocaching should be about than what happened to you.

It would have been best for them to contact you. That is polite. I say politely (ignore that they were not necessarily polite) email them again and re-inquire.

In the end, if they do not respond or restore your log or let you repost it, you can do one of several things. (1) repost anyway and see what happens, just leave out the pic in case that is the issue with them, (2) post your find on an archived cache (preferably your own or with permission of the cache owner) and state that you are posting it there to get credit for the find, or (3) forget it and let it go even if it is icky.

I have had to delete only one log so far, In the case of the log I deleted (Without contacting the finder first) the cache was a Multi and the person who loged the find had icluded all the information to find the cache, they also included photos that included all the information for the legs of the cache, and also included web site links that included all the information for the legs of the cache.

I did not contact them and ask them to change there log before hand becasue not all geocachers check there e-mail every day and several people had this cache on their watch list.

After this person reloged there find they sent me an e-mail complaning that I had deleted all the hard work that went into there log, I guess to them all the hard work I put into setting up the cache did not mean anything. But then again I live in the San Francisco area so I guess that is to be expected :laughing:

This persons log was nothing but a spoiler.

Just contact them. see when they were online last, repost and see what happens. I once accidently deleted a log, YES it happens had the wrong person. But I appoligized profusley etc... But the preson I ment to delete claimed a partial find on a multi, NOT. Ol well just re log it.

cheers

Someone deleted one of my locationless finds on a technicality that I didn't violate 100%. I don't mind that. What I do mind is that when your log is deleted, you don't get a copy of it with the deletion notification.

However, thanks to GSAK, I never have to worry about losing information which used to be on the site here.

I recently ran into the same problem. I'm still wondering why it was deleted but understand more after talking with some cachers in the area it occured. The cache was a micro that kept disappearing because it was placed at a rest stop without permission. The cache owner then decided since it kept disappearing they would take it upon themselves to just make it a virtual with no "requirements." Well, I logged my find and the next thing I know my log is deleted and the cache is archived with a note from an approver that they couldn't turn the cache into a virtual. There's not even the option of a note on the cache now. oh well.....

Someone deleted one of my locationless finds on a technicality that I didn't violate 100%. I don't mind that. What I do mind is that when your log is deleted, you don't get a copy of it with the deletion notification.

However, thanks to GSAK, I never have to worry about losing information which used to be on the site here.

When a log is deleted, you should have received an e-mail notification. In that notification is a hyperlink to the log's separate "permalink" page, so you can still read the text, restore the log, copy it elsewhere, etc.

Someone deleted one of my locationless finds on a technicality that I didn't violate 100%.  I don't mind that.  What I do mind is that when your log is deleted, you don't get a copy of it with the deletion notification.

When a log is deleted, you should have received an e-mail notification. In that notification is a hyperlink to the log's separate "permalink" page, so you can still read the text, restore the log, copy it elsewhere, etc.

I got an email but I don't think it had a permalink - I'll have to check my archives.

...placed at a rest stop...they would take it upon themselves to just make it a virtual with no "requirements."

So we can get a smiley just for going to the bathroom?!?!? :ph34r:

My three year old twins get a smiley when they go to the bathroom! :):huh:

Better a smiley at a rest stop than a smelly at home. :D