What Did You Do While Waiting For Your Gps

lefty2448

Still waiting to be able to have the $$$ to buy one! <_<

So, I go with the bro-in-law or borrow his when he's not using it. :unsure:

Lately, I use it more than he does!! :laughing::rolleyes:

D-man :)

I don't have $$ for a gps either but I found out a local Outdoors store in my area that has layaway. I put an etrex legend on layaway a couple of weeks ago.

I've been using my father-in-laws gps every now and then since last year. I too use it more than he does. :ph34r:

My first three finds were while I was waiting (or not waiting) for my GPSr to arrive. I downloaded a copy of UsaPhotoMaps, printed satellite photos of the area with the cache coords clearly marked, read the description and the logs, took the clue (just in case) and bagged 'em.

I still take the sat pix with me. Usually don't have to use the GPSr until the last minute (pun intended). :laughing:

I went to Walmart early saturday am to buy a battery charger and some NiMH batteries. My new Magellan Gold arrived saturday afternoon....Semper paratus.....(Always prepared).....US Coast Guard motto.........

By the way...I LOVE MY NEW Magellan Gold.....

My first three finds were while I was waiting (or not waiting) for my GPSr to arrive. I downloaded a copy of UsaPhotoMaps, printed satellite photos of the area with the cache coords clearly marked, read the description and the logs, took the clue (just in case) and bagged 'em.

I still take the sat pix with me. Usually don't have to use the GPSr until the last minute (pun intended). :laughing:

Thanks for the link. ///Thumbs up///

I went to Walmart early saturday am to buy a battery charger and some NiMH batteries. My new Magellan Gold arrived saturday afternoon....Semper paratus.....(Always prepared).....US Coast Guard motto.........

By the way...I LOVE MY NEW Magellan Gold.....

I was on WHEC-33 USCGC Duane ( a reef off the coast of Florida now). 1980-1982

lefty2448.....I was never in the service of my country. I am proud to say that my daughter is currently in the US Coast Guard, stationed in the Texas Gulf area. She is a graduated of the Coast Guard Academy in Connecticut. When we go to visit her, I will have to bring along my Magellen just for fun...LOL

lefty2448.....I was never in the service of my country. I am proud to say that my daughter is currently in the US Coast Guard, stationed in the Texas Gulf area. She is a graduated of the Coast Guard Academy in Connecticut. When we go to visit her, I will have to bring along my Magellen just for fun...LOL

I hand salute to your daughter. I thanks her for serving. I'm sure you are very proud.

I have found at least 15 caches san GPS. I picked 1/1 caches that were located near streets, and had hints like magnetic. I would go to the area, look for things made of metal, and hunt for caches. I got stumped a few times. I also checked cache log galleries, to point me in the right area.

While waiting for my GPS, I got onto Geocaching.com and found local caches in my area THAT CONTAINED DETAIELD CLUES!

Using those clues, I then found abouth 5 geocaches!

have fun and visit WWW.NWTREASUREHUNTER.COM

ENJOY HE HUNT!

You cheater.

I did the same thing, but never found the one I looked for... Found it as soon as I got my GPS.

I just downloaded a bunch of LOC files, and some software to try out. EasyGPS, GSAK, Screenied/printed some TopoServer maps. I only had to wait a few days for shipping tho.

I have found 5 caches sans GPS so far. I've also been stumped on 4 other ones.

And, by my estimation, only about 2 more weeks or so till I get my GPS :laughing:

Unfortunatly, at thise rate I will run out of caches that I can reach by the time my GPS get here... I lack a vehicle so I do all my hunting on foot right now. That means that there's a fairly small area that I am confined to. But as the weather gets better maybe I can make longer expeditions on the weekends.

I'm waiting and losing my mind waiting for it to get here.  The research part helps, but I need to find something that will hold me over till then.  Any sugestions?

Go benchmark hunting. No GPS required for those, as they have detailed descriptions about their supposed location.

After you get your GPS, go cache crazy.

I have been geocaching for awhile now without a gps. I started because I find the challeng of the hunt fun. I only recently started trading items. I started doing all the level 1 in our area and have since moved up to higher levels. Yesterday I found my 133rd cache. I have gone on only three geocaching trips (a day to do just geocaching). I consider myself a casual cacher...looking for caches only when I'm in the area. My wife would disagree.

I keep saying that I am going to get a gps as soon as I earn the extra money to do so. Well, it hasn't happened yet.

Yes I have been skunked more often than not. It sometimes take me two or three trips to find some caches. When I get my gps, the first thing I'm going to do is go straight through the list to every cache I couldn't find and log it the first day!

Just felt like adding my two cents worth. Don't sit around waiting for your gps to arrive (which it probably has already!). Go out and get started!

:rolleyes:

133? Wow. That's alot of GPSless caches. And I thought my 6 was alot.

My GPS should arrive at home on the 8th and then make it up to me at my dorm is slightly less than a week after that. The wait is killing me!

But with any luck I should have another 4 caches done by today...