Cache With Combo Lock...

I have a new cache being unveiled in a local park. It is well hidden and not easily found by muggles. My question is this, in your opinion is a cache with a lock on it more likely to be viewed as a bomb or having valuable objects in it than would a non-locked cache?

I ask because my local reviewer mentioned this in a short review of my pending cache and I had never thought of it like that. I guess I thought that if a muggle were to find a cache they would treat it quite the same whether it were locked or not. Punk kids will still pee on a locked cache the same as they would a non locked cache and mature muggles will either ignore or be curious enough about all the "www.geocaching.com" markings on the cache to join us and unlock it the proper way. People who would steal the whole container seem likely to do so whether locked or not. Well at least it seems that way to me....

More likely to be viewed as a bomb? Probably not - why would you lock a bomb :rolleyes: ? More likely to be viewed as containing something valuable? Probably.

I don't think a locked cache is any less likely to get compromised than an unlocked cache (unless the cache is chained to something so it can't be removed). If somebody finds a locked box and doesn't know what it is, they might be tempted to carry it back home to the toolshed to see if they can get it open. If it's unlocked, there is a chance that they'll open it, realize it's part of a game, and leave it alone.

If, as you said, the cache is well hidden and unlikely to be found by a non-cacher, I wouldn't bother locking it up.

(edit: typo)

Edited by cache_test_dummies

I've seen a conspicous cache imitating an electrical box with a lock. Part of working the cache was generating the numbers for the lock. To a a non cacher, the lock probably added to the validity of the "electrical box" If it's an ammo box with a lock, I suspect the lock will INCREASE the likelyhood of the entire box being carried off if discovered by non cachers.

Way back in 2001 or 2002, there was a thread about a box locked to a tree. As I recall, a muggle still destroyed it.

Are you referring to this post from July 2001?

It doesn't mention a specific cache, but it says that the cache was a toolbox chained to a tree. The post does say that the cache 'kept getting stolen despite the lock'. Imagine that - chained to a tree, and not only did it get stolen, but it got stolen more than once! :rolleyes:

we had a cache in Omaha that was locked and a second in Plattsmouth that was locked. Neither survived despite the locks. The one in Plattsmouth is now locked and inside a locked park area (two locks to get to the cache), time will tell how long the crank heads will leave it alone.

i have a locked cache that was busted open because soem accidental finders were curious. they signed the log and left trade items and an aopolgy.

the outside of the container now says

"this is a geocaching gamepiece. it contains small trinkets and a logbook. it is locked because the players have to solve a puzzle to get it open. if you want to play our game, you can get more information at www.geocaching.com".

These are the times I think about plotting and scheme to booby trapping a cache with pins and razor blades so muggles will get a nasty surprise for messing around with my cache. Of course I would post instructions with how to avoid/defuse the nasty surprise on the cache listing - I would never want to harm a fellow cacher, but then when I realize this is just a game - I let it drop.

We have a local TB hotel cache that's an ammo can locked shut and cabled to a large tree. The combo for the lock is part of the puzzle of the cache. No problems with it in a year or so, but I think that speaks more to the quality of the location and hide than to the lock.

I have placed four caches with combination locks on them. You have to go to three other caches to get the numbers which then open the cache. There is another number in three of the locked boxes that open the final locked cache, "Le Mountain Tour de Redding." In all, the series of bike trails requires 12 caches to open the 13th and final tour.

No problem with locks because they are fairly remote. One, hidden under a log had the lock popped when a forest fire turned everything to dust. Pretty crazy. Good souvenier, crispy cache.

I have had two caches with locks stolen. I assume by someone that took them home to see what was in side. In anohter instance just resently a cache was a lockbox like a realitor use on a door to put a key in. Someone destroyed this with a hammer etc... so you could not turn the dial any more. Another the police cut off the lock and left a note of what they ahd done when they had finished. So Your guess is as good as any. \

cheers