Locationless Cache .. How To ???

GeoGordie

Hi Ho to all,

Tried my hand at working a few Locationless Caches ...

Now, I guess it should be simple as how to do one of your own .. but, there I go thinking ... what IS the procedure and what Geo Link do you use to set up a Locationless cache for others to work ????

Thanks,

GeoGordie

"at the risk of starting another flame war (not my intention)..."

You could go to terracaching.com and join that community in addition to being a member here. TC allows Locationless Caches and has quite a list. Some are interesting and some are not. The difficulty that made them unmanageable here on GC also exsists on TC. The site is young enough that there are still some LCs with few enough entries to make them searchable for prior submissions without paging through hundreds if not thousands of cachers before you.

What ever you chose, keep the idea (not the politics) of caching formost in your mind.

KyHilltopper || Clint

So can anybody help me out here. Im a farely new cacher and ive got 3 pictures ready to log as locationless. Can i or can i not log those type of caches? Will anybody update me on the situation of this block against locationless caches or maybe tell me something about logging them that i don't know. Please Help

You can log finds on the existing ones as long as you follow the particular rules of the cache. Usually they say onely one log per location. That means you have to search all the logs to see if anyone else already logged your spot. On the more popular locationless caches, that can be well over 1000 logs to seach, with no easy way to search them intergrated into the website. That's why you can't hide anymore until they finish redesigning the website for them.

ok, ive got the picture this guy wants and he wants cords. and ive got this, but i try to put them in and it wont load the log it doesnt do nothing as far as loading when i click ok at the botom when i log it. I think its the cords. i put in because the bottom cord the W one there is a red star beside it i think what ever that means thats what it stopping me. Do you think you know what that is??

You can log finds on the existing ones as long as you follow the particular rules of the cache. Usually they say onely one log per location. That means you have to search all the logs to see if anyone else already logged your spot. On the more popular locationless caches, that can be well over 1000 logs to seach, with no easy way to search them intergrated into the website. That's why you can't hide anymore until they finish redesigning the website for them.

Actually my free Locationless analyzer program at http://factsfacts.com/geocachingsoft/locationless.htm makes it easy to search them.

Actually my free Locationless analyzer program at http://factsfacts.com/geocachingsoft/locationless.htm makes it easy to search them.

Yes, I know. but since its not built into the website, many people will not know of it.

UPDATE OF UTILITY AND MACRO FOR GSAK

With the new edition of GSAK (Version 5.5.0 25 April 2005 http://www.gsak.net), and the new edition of Locationless Analyzer (Version 3.2.7 25 April 2005 http://www.factsfacts.com/geocachingsoft/locationless.htm), you can now use the following to create a Macro in GSAK that will launch the Locationless Analyzer on suitable caches:

SET $LOCATIONLESS="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp="+("%code")

RUNPGM pgm="c:\Program Files\Locationless Proximity\Locationless Proximity.exe" parms=$LOCATIONLESS

The easiest way to do it is to create a Macro using the new Macro Menu (V5.5.0 and above in GSAK) then add a button to the GSAK toolbar to trigger the macro.

Remember to change the pgm value if you installed Locationless Proximity in a different folder.

If you need any assistance on doing this, feel free to post a message here and i'll add another post with more instructions.

Partic

Patrick Jackson

geocaching@kpsystems .com .au

Yes, I know. but since its not built into the website, many people will not know of it.

Easy solution... just add the link to your future posts for Locationless Caches, or add a note to those you've already done.

Future visitors will then know where to find what I've found to be an extremely hand little utility in the quest for locationless caching.

Plus, combining it now with GSAK, you can check it on your computer with easy by putting the macro onto a button.

I personally enjoy locationless caches. I enjoy that type of hunt just a tad more than the traditional caches.

When will the moratorium on placing these caches be lifted?

I have a couple of good ideas for placements, especially tie ins with external websites.