The very Best Beginner, affordable, rugged, and Expandable GPS:

GOT GPS?

The Magellan Meridian™ GPS for $219.

http://www.gps4fun.com/mag_meridian.html

So many people keep asking for the very best beginner unit that doesn't break apart or break your budget, and that is expandable later when you do have the money. It has WAAS and a great antenna. The Magellan Meridian is very basic with a data cable included, so you can upload or download data to the Meridian.

The Infinite memory GPS:

You can have 2 or more SD memory cards loaded with map data for long road trips with geocaching in mind, and switch between different cards when you are on a long trip. Memory cards require you to have Magellan Mapsend software though.

Here i am a GARMINITE saying this, but I wish that Garmin had a rugged version of the eMap.

So if you were to have only one GPS, is this the one????

5_Rubik.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Geoffrey:

Here i am a GARMINITE saying this, but I wish that Garmin had a rugged version of the eMap.

They do icon_smile.gif. Put the eMap into a ziplock bag (it's just about a perfect fit in one of the half-length 'snack-sized' ones) and insert in the Garmin yellow rubber cover. It's then submersible, the screen is protected from scratches, and it adds to the shock-resistance.

Available at a package price of ~$225 from www.tvnav.com for emap, PC cable, 8 MB card, yellow cover, and new MetroGuide-USA. Doesn't have WAAS and extra memory is a little expensive, but still a very good overall value.

quote:

They do icon_smile.gif. Put the eMap into a ziplock bag (it's just about a perfect fit in one of the half-length 'snack-sized' ones) and insert in the Garmin yellow rubber cover. It's then submersible, the screen is protected from scratches, and it adds to the shock-resistance.

Available at a package price of ~$225 from www.tvnav.com for emap, PC cable, 8 MB card, yellow cover, and new MetroGuide-USA. Doesn't have WAAS and extra memory is a little expensive, but still a very good overall value.

Interesting. I have an eMap, and love it and I just got my wife a Meridian.

The fusion of these two units (eMap's Metroguide database support (it is really better than Mapsend), display quality, form factor, wrist strap combined with Meri's antenna, WAAS, waterproofing/ruggedness, standard memory device)

would be amazing.

If they'd just throw in door-to-door routing and keep the <$250 price, it would be a perfect unit!

As it is, I'm quite happy we have the eMap in the car on the way to the cache and the Meri in hand on the trail.

With the eMap's price coming down, I'd say if you wanted to have an inexpensive GPS for the car that could also do a fine job in the field on cache hunts, go with the eMap/Metroguide.

If you want an inexpensive GPS for the field and cache hunts that would also do a fine job in

the car, get the Meridian/Mapsend!

quote:

The _Magellan Meridian™ GPS_ for $219.

http://www.gps4fun.com/mag_meridian.html

So many people keep asking for the very best beginner unit that doesn't break apart or break your budget, and that is expandable later when you do have the money. It has WAAS and a great antenna. The Magellan Meridian is very basic with a data cable included, so you can upload or download data to the Meridian.

The Infinite memory GPS:

You can have 2 or more SD memory cards loaded with map data for long road trips with geocaching in mind, and switch between different cards when you are on a long trip. Memory cards require you to have Magellan Mapsend software though.

So if you were to have only one GPS, is this the one????

http://members.aol.com/geoffr524/5_Rubik.gif

I have a Palm M515 with the new Navman GPS unit. You can buy it for about $200 and it is available for many different Palm models. I've used it for about two weeks now. It locks on quickly. Mapopolis and Cetus GPS are two great programs for Geocachers. You can put the GPS coordinates into Cetus and it will give you an arrow showing you where the cache is relative to your own position. Great for novices! Cetus is free. Mapopolis is under $10 per map depending on the area you are looking for. I would only recommend Mapopolis if you are going to do a lot of driving.

Dark Skies!