Pda's For Caching

I've been wanting to get a handheld unit for a few months now, but I can't decide on which one to purchase. I am not very computer savy so I appreciate any help you can provide. Friends tell me that all I'll need is a inexpensive Palm, but I can't help but wonder if I'd be happier with a more flasher one :o I'm a bit of a kid in a candy store, and my wife has a IPAQ rz1715, which I really like. I know this is not very thrifty, but will take care of all my caching needs and more? Please advise :o

I've probably responded in this thread before, but since we are on a new page, I'll reiterate what I have said

I bought a Palm M500 more than two years ago, when it was fairly expensive. However, you can get one of these for about $50 or $60.00 on eBay.

It has everything you will need for Geocaching, after you purchase Cachemate for $8.00 (and download GSAK).

I wouldn't buy the more expensive one with all the bells and whistles to use for Geocaching. Remember, it might get rained on or you might drop it in the mud. If you absolutely have to have the more expensive one, get it, but don't use it for Geocaching. Get the cheap one for that. :o

After you buy the cheap Palm, get a good hard case for it so you won't have to log an entry on this page. :o

After you buy the cheap Palm, get a good hard case for it so you won't have to log an entry on this page.
Just an observation. The posts on the linked page are from people who bought the expensive PDAs. My Zire is my second PDA. If you are interested in buying a PDA for geocaching buy a cheap, used one. If you find it is now your first love then go for a more expensive one, then either keep the cheaper one for caching or sell it on ebay.
I've been wanting to get a handheld unit for a few months now, but I can't decide on which one to purchase. I am not very computer savy so I appreciate any help you can provide. Friends tell me that all I'll need is a inexpensive Palm, but I can't help but wonder if I'd be happier with a more flasher one :o I'm a bit of a kid in a candy store, and my wife has a IPAQ rz1715, which I really like. I know this is not very thrifty, but will take care of all my caching needs and more? Please advise :o

I use an IPAQ for caching. they are great. any of the current models will more than handle all your caching needs and a whole lot more. Cheap pda's are nice but if you have the bucks travel in style!

Just make sure you get one with USB capabilities and get more than 2mb. My old Palm didn't have either and those are the two things I didn't have with my first Palm. I upgraded and now am able to load more waypoints and do it via USB. Once you get familiar with GSAK and Cachemate, you will want the memory believe me.

I'd suggest you invest in an Ipaq 2200 series (approx. $300). They have all the bells & whistles at less cost than the high end units.

I have to rant now.

Why is it that when people want something inexpensive/that they can afford, most people are helpful but then some person has to come along and convince somebody that the most expensive thing is the best.

My mother's trying to get a home loan, and one bank was very helpful to tell her she can get $100k and stay in the same price range as she's paying now for rent. Another person decided to tell her she could get $150k - an increase of over $300 for her monthly payment.

Some people just don't listen to what's being said to them.

End Rant

To answer somebody else's question, GPSrs don't use color screens with rare exception, and none of us have problems reading any of those, so I can't imagine a PDA being any different.

So here's my PDA question. Those of you that have cached paperless without a PDA and paperless with a PDA, how many increased benefits are there really to having a PDA?

:D

Hey Fly, you ever hear the term "you get what you pay for"? In this case CHEAP ISN'T ALWAYS BETTER. Evidently you don't know anything about Pocket PC's otherwise you would know that the old, cheap Palms aren't worth a dadgum. Two weeks after buying a cheap one he will be looking for another, better, one and no way to get rid of the old one ($50 paper weight). BTW, $300 isn't expensive for a good Pocket PC. I wonder what he paid for his GPS.

If you want to go inexpensive.....go buy a yellow pencil and a notebook.

BTW, nobody gives a dadgum about your mother's home loan. Why bring it up?

:D:D:D

The PDA's this guy at eBay is selling are all Palm units and OLDER models with less memory/functions than today's models. Even though they are cheaper you wouldn't be happy with it.

I would not be comfortable predicting what the poster would and would not be happy with.

BTW, this thread is full of people who appear to be happy with older Palm hardware.

The PDA's this guy at eBay is selling are all Palm units and OLDER models with less memory/functions than today's models. Even though they are cheaper you wouldn't be happy with it.

I would not be comfortable predicting what the poster would and would not be happy with.

BTW, this thread is full of people who appear to be happy with older Palm hardware.

Whatever turns your crank. Do you buy second-hand clothes too? (they are cheap). :D

Off topic, but I do. I've gotten some great Patagonia, Marmot, Eddie Bauer, and REI clothes at the Thrift Store for a fraction of their retail price. :D

And, I've gotten some really great deals on eBay. I got my laptop on eBay, although I did buy my Palmie brand new back in 2002.

I have to rant now.

Why is it that when people want something inexpensive/that they can afford, most people are helpful but then some person has to come along and convince somebody that the most expensive thing is the best.

My mother's trying to get a home loan, and one bank was very helpful to tell her she can get $100k and stay in the same price range as she's paying now for rent.  Another person decided to tell her she could get $150k - an increase of over $300 for her monthly payment. 

Some people just don't listen to what's being said to them.

End Rant

To answer somebody else's question, GPSrs don't use color screens with rare exception, and none of us have problems reading any of those, so I can't imagine a PDA being any different.

So here's my PDA question.  Those of you that have cached paperless without a PDA and paperless with a PDA, how many increased benefits are there really to having a PDA?

:rolleyes:

Hey Fly, you ever hear the term "you get what you pay for"? In this case CHEAP ISN'T ALWAYS BETTER. Evidently you don't know anything about Pocket PC's otherwise you would know that the old, cheap Palms aren't worth a dadgum. Two weeks after buying a cheap one he will be looking for another, better, one and no way to get rid of the old one ($50 paper weight). BTW, $300 isn't expensive for a good Pocket PC. I wonder what he paid for his GPS.

If you want to go inexpensive.....go buy a yellow pencil and a notebook.

BTW, nobody gives a dadgum about your mother's home loan. Why bring it up?

:rolleyes::):D

Ouch, go back to bed and get up on the other side.

Personally, why would ANY cacher spend more an a PDA than a GPSr? I mean, come on, what if it gets destroyed, lost, eaten, stepped on, or stolen?

If you're going to use it for other purposes, then by all means go for the big cheese model...And then buy a cheapie for caching. It's going to take abuse...everyone's been telling me, and they can't all be wrong.

BTW. I ordered a Palm... heh :)

You know what, James. Go back under the rock you hatched from.

The original poster asked for help for a PDA to use strictly for caching. You tried to convince him to get a PDA costs ten times as much for functions that will be useless to this person because they don't want them. And I'm an a******? Screw you.

I want to know what PDA/Palm most of the cachers use, and whats the cheapest I could get to use, strictly for caching.

Must connect to my PC, and have some sort of ability to use GPX files. Any other info would be appreciated.

RAM needs?

Software?

The original poster asked for help for a PDA to use strictly for caching. You tried to convince him to get a PDA costs ten times as much for functions that will be useless to this person because they don't want them.

Thanks fly..

Pda's for caching, Best for the Buck....Subject title speaks for itself.

Original post quoted for back-to-on-topic-ness.

Edited by Marcie/Eric

Hi all,

this may not apply to everyone, but I had a Palm V and when we upgraded our computer to windows XP the Intelisync software no longer communicates. I went to the Palm website and they said there are no new software upgrades for the Palm V -- so before you buy one to use for Geocaching you might want to check into this.

I use an IPAQ 3900 series with an Ambicom GPS in the compact flash slot.

I run the GPXsonar software to view the cache pages in .gpx format. The look the same as the do on the web.

I run Pocket map navigator which is a roadmap navigation system to navigate the roads and get me close to the caches. It talks, and tells you to turn right, left, etc..

Once I arrive at the destination I launch Vito Navigator II and it is my Trail blazing GPS with a compass, Direction bearing indicater, Current position, Distance to waypoint, etc... It also has a map view that shows all the caches in the area. I pick one and the needle points the way. I have found that it is more accurate than the Garmin Etrex unit I used for the last couple years. I have tried using them side by side to see the difference and the Garmin tells me to go another 20 feet and the Pocket PC says Im on top of it. More times than not, I am right on top of it. It got me within 3 feet of the cache 12 out of 15 times. The other two times I was within 10- 15 feet under heavy canopy. The garmin was lost under heavy canopy.

I also noticed that the Ambicom works in my house! The Etrex wont even get a signal in the house. I now just use the Garmin for a backup. I guess the only disadvantage of the pocket PC is that its not as rugged and more expensive.

Hope this helps.

Edited by The Wrangler

I recently bought a Zire 31 and down-loaded over 500 caches in it. Now I go down the road...In whatever direction the wind blows...And as the caches come-up on my GPS'r I simply check the pda and go get it!!!! Recently did 20 caches in about four hours. Was I 'power cacheing' ??? Nope....just the way it happened!!!!

GSAK,CacheMate and Zire 31.....Perfect together :lol:

I currently use a Palm IIIXE, running Cachemate. I like the ability to replace batteries on the trail. I carry 4 sets of rechargeable AA batteries for my GPS and one extra set of AAAs for my PDA. When you cache all day, the abilty to replace batteries in the field is beneficial.

On my longest caching day (12 hours), I found 54 caches and my PDA never went through a full set of batteries.

The only item I wish I had was a USB port on my PDA, because the serial connection takes a while to Hotsync large pocket queries.

I just had to place this note. I'm in my office looking for some papers. I found over 50 pages of printed caches! I haven't looked in my car, or in my house for print outs but I was surprised at how much paper (and ink) I have used just on the cache pages that are lying around, not counting the over 200 caches that I have done and printed out pages for. My office is looking better already. B)

I'm loving this paperless caching. <_<

I use a Dell Axim, they are cheaper than IPAQ's, and I haven't had a problem with it.  I think there is more software out there for a POCKETPC rather than the PALM models.    B)

I agree, and I have YET to find a more capable and affordable platform.

I'll 2nd that - I love the small compact size of the Axim - I bought a car charger to keep it charged between hikes....

I use a Dell Axim, they are cheaper than IPAQ's, and I haven't had a problem with it.  I think there is more software out there for a POCKETPC rather than the PALM models.    B)

I'll 2nd that - I love the small compact size of the Axim - I bought a car charger to keep it charged between hikes....

I just bought an Axim X50v and I love it... more than I need for geocaching, but it is just a fun item. I especially like the built in wireless... now I can log my finds from any hotspot.

After all the recent discussion about premium memberships, paperless caching, PDA's, GSAK and Cachemate... I made the plunge.

Got the year long Premium subscription, registered Cachemate and bought a used PDA from Craigslist.org for $75. I got a Palm M505, and I can tell you already how cool and powerful these tools when combined are. It is easy, and worth it!

Keep talking about it, these discussions picqued my interest enough to support our little community, so others are surely going to follow.

I use a Dell Axim, they are cheaper than IPAQ's, and I haven't had a problem with it.  I think there is more software out there for a POCKETPC rather than the PALM models.    :o

I just bought an Axim X50v and I love it... more than I need for geocaching, but it is just a fun item. I especially like the built in wireless... now I can log my finds from any hotspot.

I've got an x50v as well. Spectacular model.

Ijust won the bid on Ebay for a PalmIIIxe with all accessories!!!!!!! I got it for $16.50!!! did i do ok? i think so. im so exited. this was my first buy on Ebay. this unit will work for caching wont it? thanks

ric :D

It should work fine. You just have to download and buy Cachemate for $8.00 and you'll be all set.

Downloading GSAK and combining those two with your Premium membership in GC.com will have you soon looking at more caches on your "Palmie" than you can find in a year. :o

EDIT to add appropriate quote.

Edited by idiosyncratic

Ok. In a fit of impulse buying, or possible craziness, :o I ordered a m125. I chose it because of the expansion slot and usb connection.

So, here’s the next question. It was mentioned earlier, but GSAK/Cachemate or GPX Spinner/Plucker. If there is a thread, just post the link here. I’m looking forward to receiving my new toy.

Edited by Icenrye

Speaking of PDAs and caching, I just picked up a Palm Pilot Personal from a cache (traded a cool mini box kite). It has Palm OS 2.05 with 480Kb memory (that's right, less than half a Meg.) and I've been unable to find an eBook reader or .gpx handler that works with that old an OS. Any help out there, or do I give it to my kids to play with?

Ok. In a fit of impulse buying, or possible craziness, :( I ordered a m125. I chose it because of the expansion slot and usb connection.

So, here’s the next question. It was mentioned earlier, but GSAK/Cachemate or GPX Spinner/Plucker. If there is a thread, just post the link here. I’m looking forward to receiving my new toy.

I'd be glad to give some direction but what is the question?

I have a Palm Tungsten E that I use for Caching and work. It takes an SD card for MP3, files, pics, etc. It has a 32 mb memory and the SD card upto 128 mb. Batterys last for 2-3 days before recharge. I use Cachemate but have not completely abandoned paper.

Hope it helps.

Kent

Speaking of PDAs and caching, I just picked up a Palm Pilot Personal from a cache (traded a cool mini box kite). It has Palm OS 2.05 with 480Kb memory (that's right, less than half a Meg.) and I've been unable to find an eBook reader or .gpx handler that works with that old an OS. Any help out there, or do I give it to my kids to play with?

Plucker apparently runs on anything over 2.0.4, so give that a shot. It's a great program.

Speaking of PDAs and caching, I just picked up a Palm Pilot Personal from a cache (traded a cool mini box kite).  It has Palm OS 2.05 with 480Kb memory (that's right, less than half a Meg.) and I've been unable to find an eBook reader or .gpx handler that works with that old an OS.  Any help out there, or do I give it to my kids to play with?

Plucker apparently runs on anything over 2.0.4, so give that a shot. It's a great program.

You might have to pare down your gpx file to less than 500 caches, but it should work fine.

Ok. In a fit of impulse buying, or possible craziness, :( I ordered a m125. I chose it because of the expansion slot and usb connection.

Check out the thread in this Forum.

It took me a while to figure out GSAK, but it is a brilliant program -- I've just barely touched the surface of its features.

My recommendation is Cachemate and GSAK. :(

Don't listen to that guy. He's crazy! :( (Just kidding. Don't kill me!)

I prefer Spinner/Plucker, although I ditched Plucker's desktop application in favor of Sunrise Desktop. I also use Cache Log Book to record my adventures.

This seems familiar to me, did I say this way up there? :(

I'd be glad to give some direction but what is the question?

What is the best way to go? What do most people prefer? Like Ford vs Chev. Coke vs Pepsi, Apple vs PC, Magellan vs Garmin. What are the pros/cons of either setup? So far, GSAK/Cachemate seems the most popular, but how well does spinner work?

I'm not familiar with the Palm Vx; I think it is the generation before my Palm M500.

I don't think it accepts memory cards, which my Palm M500 does, but it does have the long-lasting Li-on battery like mine. You can get a Palm M500 for around $50-$60 on eBay (maybe less). On Amazon, the Palm Vx sells for only $35.00.

For Geocaching, I'm sure it would work just fine.

I can only speak for the products I have used. I don't think it would be fair to give my opinion of a product I haven't used. I'll leave that to those who have.

GSAK/CacheMate Pros:

1. GREAT support, via email, forums, F1 in program. Support can mean the difference between being able to use the program or just having the program.

2. Easy to install. I knew nothing about either program. I just followed the directions I found on line (read my previous post on this thread) and I was up and running.

3. Ease of use. I am able to find the information quickly and easily in both programs. Information is easily customized.

4. Low memory requirements. I only have 2mb in my Zire, but I have 487 caches plus the standard programs that come with the Zire and CacheMate.

5. Quick processing. Even with 2mb of RAM I can do a querry through 487 caches, using muliple filters and have the answer in under 30 seconds.

6. Compatability. Both work great with my XP laptop and PALM OS. GSAK has an export directly for CacheMate.

The real question is if I had to do it all over would I make any changes? No. I am 100% happy.

I hope this helps.

Happy Trails

I use Spinner/Plucker, sorta. The fact is I use Spinner and Sunrise Desktop to generate the pages for my palm's Plucker application. Many people who use Plucker do not use Spinner. You can get the output for Plucker from GSAK, instead. I also use Cache Log Book, which is a cool little app to record all your hunts.

1. GREAT support. Geocacher U pretty much lays it out there. Also, there are tons of people right here in the forums that can help if you need it.

2. Easy to install. I knew nothing about either program. I just followed the directions I found in Geocacher U and I was up and running.

3. Ease of use. I am able to find the information quickly and easily on my Palm using Plucker. I like the way the caches are cross referenced in various ways. Also, the cache pages are very intuitive and laid out like a real webpage, instead of looking like some boring pda-based database. Cache Log Book is a great little app to document my hunts for easy logging.

4. Low memory requirements. I often have more than one GPX file loaded on my pda. Easily 1000 caches in Plucker and all of my hunts in Cache Log Book. It should be noted that my m505 isn't just my cache machine. All of my personal and business data is on this pda.

5. Quick processing. Click on the cache and up it pops. Scroll down to nearest and there they are. Sort all of them by owner, age, title, type, whatever.

6. Compatability. Works great with win 2000, me, xp. Apple? beats me.

7. Downloads the pics from the cache page so you can see them on your pda, right on the cache page.

The real question is if I had to do it all over would I make any changes? No. I am 100% happy.

I hope this helps.

Hello!

I was just wondering what is the cheapest PDA that can do the following:

1) Play MP3's

2) USB connectable

3) Use SD cards

The Palm Zire 31 meets those specs. The standard price is $150 but it can be found on sale for $100 - $130.

Yeah, but the Zire 72 Nav pack can be had for $335 after rebate from buy.com and it does all of the above PLUS comes with a bluetooth GPS and the ultra cool Tomtom Navigation software (okay, maybe I'm the only one who thinks it's ultra cool).

--Marky

Thanks for your help everyone! :D I’m trying out GSAK with Plucker. The “export html” option seems to do the job well in GSAK. I did notice on the Geocacher –U pages, he recommends to tell Plucker to retrieve linked pages to a depth of 3. I found to get the clue, you have to go to 4.

I haven’t tried spinner yet. The site was down when I tried to download the program.

I am very happy with what I have. I’m still learning the fine points, but things are looking good! :(