Dot Gif

gallahad

I see a legend of these symbols at the bottom of the page when I click on "View New Posts" just under the "Members" Icon.

This is an attempt to create a link to it:

View New Posts

Well the Link worked for me.

But notice the "Legend Of Envelopes" does not show any with a Black Dot centered in it.

A Black Dot would signify that you have contributed a post to that thread. Of course you would have to be logged in to see any Black Dots.

Note: If you have Searched or Filtered a list of threads in any way, the Black Dots are NOT displayed.

Also, just hovering your Cursor over an Envelope Icon will display a description of it's meaning.

Edited by Cardinal Red
I see a legend of these symbols at the bottom of the page when I click on "View New Posts" just under the "Members" Icon.

This is an attempt to create a link to it:

View New Posts

Well the Link worked for me.

But notice the "Legend Of Envelopes" does not show any with a Black Dot centered in it.

A Black Dot would signify that you have contributed a post to that thread. Of course you would have to be logged in to see any Black Dots.

Note: If you have Searched or Filtered a list of threads in any way, the Black Dots are NOT displayed.

Also, just hovering your Cursor over an Envelope Icon will display a description of it's meaning.

I, too, see the legend of these symbols at the bottom of the page "View New Posts". And your link works just fine.

But my question remains unanswered because, as you pointed out, "... notice the "Legend Of Envelopes" does not show any with a Black Dot centered in it."

Inasmuch as the person posting the note to the thread is aware of that fact, creating an icon to notify him/her of that seems rather senseless. This causes me do doubt that the black dot indicates it's a post that I've placed in the thread.

While hovering the cursor over most of the icons produces an identification label for that item, hovering the cursor over the envelope icon doesn't produce a label with my machine. I've tried it with all three browsers available to me on my system. :laughing:

While hovering the cursor over most of the icons produces an identification label for that item, hovering the cursor over the envelope icon doesn't produce a label with my machine. ...

For IE that pops up the alt= tag I get:

No New Posts(*) The asterick is in the tag but not in the "pop up" description

as the icon description for both the blue and red "black dot" subdued/lightened icon. I have noticed the graphic does indeed correspond to all threads that I have posted in also.

Edited by MRCOGEO
[No New Posts(*) The asterick is in the tag but not in the "pop up" description

What does that mean? When I'm not logged in, it doesn't say "No new posts*". When I am logged in, it says "No new posts*". Does this mean that noone can post, or is it just limited to me? Can you only post once a day on a topic, or did I do something offensive?

[No New Posts(*) The asterick is in the tag but not in the "pop up" description

What does that mean? When I'm not logged in, it doesn't say "No new posts*". When I am logged in, it says "No new posts*". Does this mean that noone can post, or is it just limited to me? Can you only post once a day on a topic, or did I do something offensive?

If you aren't logged in, the forum software can't very well tell whether there's been new posts since your last visit, because it doesn't know that you are you. Once you login, it lets you know what's changed since your last visit -- including "no new posts" if that's the case.

Somehow I was thinking that 'no new posts' meant that I couldn't post, not that there were not any new posts since the last time I read the thread.

Heh. I can see that, but I also remember the early days of computers when there were problems with the term 'invalid user'

You calling me an invalid? :o

Somehow I was thinking that 'no new posts' meant that I couldn't post, not that there were not any new posts since the last time I read the thread.

Heh. I can see that, but I also remember the early days of computers when there were problems with the term 'invalid user'

You calling me an invalid? :o

You can't put too much water on a nuclear reactor.

(anyone?)