Palm Zire

I got the Zire 72 for X-Mas this year. The newer model of the 71, but mainly wanted it for caching. Am sure i will use it for more as i continue but wanted to be able to leave my camera at home since it cost alot more. Love the paperless caching and can do pics when i see something i want. Still if i know i am going somewhere that there will be a great photo op i will take my regular camera.

I used a Zire 71 for about 14 months... yeah, right past the warranty period. Maybe I just had a dud unit, but this one sucked. From day one, the unit would re-set and lose all of its data at random times... usually 2/3 of the way into a geocaching trip. Then, the hot sync button on the cradle stopped working. Then, it stopped hot syncing at all. I tried all the suggested fixes, bought a new cable, but nothing worked. Finally I chalked it up to experience and bought a different handheld.

The Zire 71 reinforced something that's often true of "combination" devices. If you buy a combination handheld and digital camera, you sacrifice the quality you'd gain from getting a better handheld and a better digital camera, for the convenience of having two crappy devices mushed together into one.

My understanding is that the camera quality on the Zire 72 is much better, so my negative review applies only to the 71. Your mileage may vary.

The 72 pictures are pretty decent. Its 1.2 Megapixel which isnt bad for what i wanted. I notice it has a little more lag time so being steady (ie supported) when taking a pic is almost nessessary. I like it for the expansion slot also. Take pics and plug the card right into my printer to upload onto the computer. I dont even bother Hot Synch for that. This way is easier. And so far so good with everything else.