Uspsqg Bench Mark Guide

Z15

Pretty good guidelines. Now if they would just abide by it...... [grin]

I substitute a printout from TOPOZONE, instead of marking "x's" on a map. Otherwise, I agreed with just about everything.

Including starting with a full tank of gasoline, and avoiding rush hour.

-Paul-

Pretty good guidelines. Now if they would just abide by it...... [grin]

Back to bashing the USPSQD? :rolleyes:

And, yesterday, we were on Randall's/Ward's Island, on the Harlem River/Hell's Gate in NYC, geocaching. We also went looking for six benchmarks, and found three. (See Security issue for one of them.)

We located KU2154 or was it KU3974? Power squadron claimed to have found both. There's only room on that rock for one or the other! I found that it fit the description of KU2154 better.

I am more willing to bet on some sort of computer/keying error where the mark was accidentally put in the database that many times.

Did anyone notice

Ensure that no mark is knowingly recovered and reported in a time period less than 5 years.
. There is one person in my area who recovers every two years or so. I took some pleasure in posting some NGS recoveries for "his" marks this year to stop him from getting credit for at least a few.

Even on the Mark Recovery Entry form it says......

"This form can be used to submit recovery information for survey marks to the National Geodetic Survey. If the data sheet for this mark shows a recovery within the past 12 months and the status has not changed, please do not report it."

How did all those ever get by.....geez!

I think that two things happened.

The first is that the mark was reported too often, which seems to be true.

The second is that something happened data processing-wise that duplicated one entry multiple times into the database. Either someone ran a batch job a bunch of times that day or there was a manual update done multiple times, perhaps by someone repeatedly submitting the entry because the computer didn't respond. Those of you who use computers at work know (or are) someone who, when the printer doesn't print, resubmit the job 4 or 5 times before calling someone to help.

If you have tried to submit an update less than a year after the previous one the web page stops you now. I am willing to bet that in the late 1980s it was often up to the entry person to make that sort of decision.