Pocket Queries

...except when you go away on a trip with a pile of printouts for caching - and find that in the week after you left home, 2 were archieved!

It was sitting in a vehicle with paper all of the place and the failed hunts that set me on the path to paperless caching. I would never go back to that.

PQ, GSAK, a cheap and cheerful Palm IIIxe and Cachemate. Brilliant!

...except when you go away on a trip with a pile of printouts for caching - and find that in the week after you left home, 2 were archieved!

Ah! But if you are away for a week or so and caching. Unless you have a mobile phone and linked/connected to GCcom. How would you know that they have been archieved So how do you do that?

Also the advantage of the paper is, if out in the wilds and cold. You can use the 'done' caches pages to start a fire. Unless of course you have two boy scouts to rub together.

I only take out the 'days to do' pages and they as I said are in plastic folders.

Edited by McDeHack

McD

I found out the hard way, could not find the caches, spent hours looking and, when I logged the DNF, found them archeived.

Now, before we set off to each cache (particularly when biking to them), we look it up the in the Palm check the log.

... and our "proper" contract mobile phone is usually in Sue's steel-like grip. When I am away on my trips, I only have the use of a PAYG phone. This phone is only ever used to receive calls.

Mind you, we are getting a nice collection of paper maps together...

Now, before we set off to each cache (particularly when biking to them), we look it up the in the Palm check the log.

Mind you, we are getting a nice collection of paper maps together...

S & B

It's the way one likes to do it. I have all the kit. An Ipaq, Bluetooth GPS I have tried paperless and I found it not so easy. Trying to find the details of the cache on the PDA is to me a bother.

The evening before, I take the cache sheet from my 'to do' collection. Go to GC.com and check the latest details of if it has gone AWOL or what. and read the latest logs. So the chances of it being archivede overnight. would not make much difference if on paper or on a PDA.

Now this is where we could differ. I load maps of the area that I am visiting to the Ipaq from Memory map. and I have the bluetooth GPS as backup. I also have printed on the back of the cache sheet the map of the cache area with the cache site marked on it.

Finaly I have my Tomtom go with all the UK caches loaded on.

(And a mule called nelly) :P:rolleyes: