Your Challenge: Best Gpsr For $150 Or Less

Hello, I'm a newbie to this 'sport' and need some help. I've borrowed an older Garmin GPS II+ for my first 10 finds, but its about time to return it. Besides geocaching, we also love hiking and mountain biking. If we could use it for trips abroad that would be a bonus.

It needs to connect to PC. I'm new and don't know everything that they can do, but I'd like to upload maps and download my journeys.

From looking around at other posts and doing a little bit of research, I'm comparing other units to the eTrex Legend. It looks like the explorist 200 has more memory but doesn't connect to PC?

Anyways, I would appreciate the help.

Joe

I'm comparing other units to the eTrex Legend. It looks like the explorist 200 has more memory but doesn't connect to PC?

Welcome,

The etrex legend has 8Mb of mapping memory.

The Explorist 200 has 8 MB built-in North American background map plus 8 MB of memory to save up to 5 track log files, 500 points of interest and 20 routes.

The etrex has a pc connection so you can load more detailed maps of the area's you want into the 8MB.

With the Explorist 200 you can only use the maps that are already loaded into the gps.

They will not be very detailed.

I'm not sure how much memory the Legend has for tracks, waypoints (POI) and routes.

But I do know that the Legend lets you store 1000 waypoint compaired to the 500 on the Explorist.

The Legend also let you store 10 saved tracks, 20 reversible routes with up to 50 waypoints.

Besides geocaching, we also love hiking and mountain biking. If we could use it for trips abroad that would be a bonus.

I would say you would want something you can load detailed maps. That means something with a pc connection.

Be sure to check out the new Explorist 400,500 and 600.

I have a legend I use daily at work.

Having a mapping gps is great.

Edited by Milbank

< $150 doesn't give you a lot of choices for your criteria..

But for about $150, the Lowrance iFinder offers mapping capability as well as expandability with support for memory cards.

However,, for PC connectivity you'd need the MapCreate software listed on that page also and it cost $99 extra. But as you say you're new at this time, so perhaps just the GPSr will be fine right away,, and get MapCreate a bit later :ph34r:

At only a slight stretch of $159, Compuplus will sell you a Meridian Gold. To get full use, you would want to add an SD card and detail map software. However, you can add those at a later time as your budget allows. You can put the gold to good use right out of the box! (Well, you may need to add batteries.)

Edited by embra

If you really need to stay under $150 then the basic iFinder, eTrex Legend, and SporTrak Map would all be good choices. They all come with a basemap, the capability to add more detailed maps later (generally for more $$ - but at least you have the option), and there's software available so you can keep track of waypoints/routes/tracklogs on a PC (or Mac, etc.)

As Embra mentioned, the Meridian Gold offers more versatility for later expansion but it's a little over $150 and is also physically larger than the ones above - whether that matters is a personal preference issue.

Thanks, I had not read anything about the meridian gold. I will study up on it a bit tonight.

The problem with me and electronics is the more I know, the more $ I spend. :ph34r: For example having an altimeter would be great for mt. biking. Anyways, thanks for the initial help. I'll keep checking back if you have further insight.

I forgot about the Sportracs, they should be considered.

You do not need an altimeter. Your GPSr will show altitude calculated from the satellites. I have found the altitude shown on my GPSr to be very close to the true altitude, as determined by accurate benchmarks I have visited. Often it is within 10 feet, very often within 20 feet and almost always within 50 feet of the true elevation.

My GPSr also has a topo map that shows elevation for your position. (Meridian $100, SD card 128 MB at $15, Mapsend Topo for $50.)

I forgot about the Sportracs, they should be considered.

You do not need an altimeter. Your GPSr will show altitude calculated from the satellites. I have found the altitude shown on my GPSr to be very close to the true altitude, as determined by accurate benchmarks I have visited. Often it is within 10 feet, very often within 20 feet and almost always within 50 feet of the true elevation.

My GPSr also has a topo map that shows elevation for your position. (Meridian $100, SD card 128 MB at $15, Mapsend Topo for $50.)

Where might one get Mapsend Topo for $50?

From looking around at other posts and doing a little bit of research, I'm comparing other units to the eTrex Legend. It looks like the explorist 200 has more memory but doesn't connect to PC?

The eTrex Legend is the best value for under $150 IMHO. It's also one of the most popular models these days. It seems like about 50% of other geocachers we run into own a Legend.

For the best value it's impossible to beat the basic iFinder in that price range. The next on my list is the MeriGold. Both have expandable memory. Based upon personal experience you'll really appreciate this once you start loading maps and saving trails and routes. Feel free to email me for iFinder questions and details.

An electronic compass and altimeter are neat, but not necessary. Although people who do have electronic compasses seem to love them. (Note: One should never go geocaching without a regular magnetic compass). Can't say I've read the same about electronic altimeters. It seems they need frequent re-calibration and are unreliable in certain weather conditions. Again, this is based on what I've read, can anybody speak from personal experience?

I love my barometric altimeter. It so accurate. I checked it to a benchmark, and it was exactly right on. It is also nice to tell if a storm is on the way. I also like its ability to graph altitude and show vertical distance, its nice when climbing a mountain. I have never had to recalibrate, the only time it is inaccurate is in storms, and cars, or any other place where the pressure would differ.

I agree that the best value under $150 is the Legend, and you can find it well under $150. I must admit, though, that my opinion is based mostly on the fact that I own one. In truth, a comparable Magellan is probably just as good. It's a subjective decision, and you should try the models you're considering. Lowrance has a rather poor reputation, mostly because of difficulties in communicating with PCs, and I would avoid them, but I've never actually tried one and I'm just going by what I've read on the net. I've never read anything good about a Cobra, so I don't recommend any model of that brand.

In short, I have a Legend so you should buy one too. :blink::blink::o

The Legend is a great choice and I've seen it for under $130. Its direct competetion from Magellan is the Sportrak Map, but beats the ST on most counts. The Legend has more map memory (8 meg vs. 6) and holds twice the number of waypoints (1,000 vs. 500). It has better screen resolution, longer battery life (18 vs 14 hrs.) and is smaller and lighter than the ST. It also retails for $30-$40 less.

Thanks for all the input. Re: the units with expandable memory. Is there a limit to the memory size? Also, I'm assuming you can upload to the memory card through the unit itself? Thanks.

Maybe someone can also give me a list of all the websites/stores I should visit before buying to check prices (excluding walmart)? I have a relative who works at a local marine supply store who is going to check on his price as well on the different units you have brought up.

THANKS!

Meridians have been reported to take up to 1GB cards so far, so you should be able to have as much room as you would want (I find I use about half of a 256MB card). While you can upload through the unit, it is faster and you have more flexibility using an SD card reader. They're cheap, and necessary for using multiple map files from a single card.

In addition to compuplus.com (mentioned above), shopharmony.com also tends to have good prices on Magellan stuff. I don't know how they compare with Garmin offerings.

Thanks for the FAQ link. Basemap and detailed map stuff seems a bit complicated. When I travel to Europe this summer I will have to delete/replace my basemap along with uploading more detailed maps to the GPSr? Are all units like this?

Do you have to buy proprietary maps or is there some competition?

Thanks for sticking with all of my questions!

joe_shmoe

All GPSr units have a basemap specific to the region in which you purchased them, therefore units from the US will not have any detailed European basemap coverage and vice versa.

On my European etrex Legend, I get an outline of the US with state boundaries, and major cities, but that is all, there is no road detail at all as far as I can see.

In order to get any road detail, you will need to purchase some european mapping software to upload to the unit.

There are a few hacks out there for the Garmin etrex, that allow you to create your own maps, but its a long process.

In the UK, there are some free topo maps available Here

These are accurate enough to give you an idea of the topography, but I would not rely on them for serious navigation.

The answer to your question is that in order to upload detailed maps to the GPSr, you have to rely on the proprietry maps.

If you want to connect the GPSr unit up to a Pocket PC, then that opens up loads of doors, as there are lots of manufacturers who provide digital mapping for the PPC, but it also adds significantly to the cost

Memory Map

Fugawi, and many, many more, however this software will only work on a pocket PC or desktop, and cannot be uploaded to your GPSr

Personally, I own an etrex Legend, and am more than happy with it. I have only just switched to a mapping upit, and can't believe how I managed without for so long.

For your budget , the Legend is a good unit, however, having never used a Megellan or Lowrance unit, I cannot comment on these.

The one big advantage that these have over Garmin is the use of removable SD cards, I really wish that Garmin would add this to their units soon.

Hope that this answers some of your questions

Adrian

Be sure to shop around before you buy for better prices....www.pricegrabber.com is a good place to start-they also offer USER REVIEWS for some units......

You are definately going to regret not being able to connect your GPS to the PC if you want to download a bunch of waypoints-you will have to type them all by hand, and i know i wanted a bunch in mine(waypoints) for when i was out driving around and just wanted a quick find, i knew i had a lot to choose from

Also, most GPS dont come with DETAILED street maps, so if you want to later buy a program for that, the pc connectivity will be an issue again....

I recently went to an event cache- approx 50 local geocachers- and it seemed the one i saw most in the 150 price range was the E trex legend( i also have one) since when i bought it -a year ago, it was the most GPS for my money

Feel free to contact me via email if you want my USER REVIEW on the Legend

Thanks for the FAQ link. Basemap and detailed map stuff seems a bit complicated. When I travel to Europe this summer I will have to delete/replace my basemap along with uploading more detailed maps to the GPSr? Are all units like this?

Do you have to buy proprietary maps or is there some competition?

Thanks for sticking with all of my questions!

joe_shmoe

My suggestion would also be to go with the Meridian Gold.

As far as deleting the base map, I wouldn't recommend it. Just buy the European detailed maps and upload them to the unit. It isn't that complicated.

In terms of maps to upload to the unit, in general, you are stuck with proprietary software for each manufacturer.

I love my barometric altimeter. It so accurate. I checked it to a benchmark, and it was exactly right on. It is also nice to tell if a storm is on the way. I also like its ability to graph altitude and show vertical distance, its nice when climbing a mountain. I have never had to recalibrate, the only time it is inaccurate is in storms, and cars, or any other place where the pressure would differ.

coolclay,

Thanks for the update.

BTW, what brand/model GPSr are you referring to?

reid

Thanks for the info on maps. I can see how pocket pcs would have cheaper or free maps because there is a somewhat universal OS... or two that companies can write software for.

So, it sounds like if I travel the detailed maps will get me by without seeing the "big picture". Thanks, that helps.

Joe