Things not to place in a cache

andrew_craig

I see that i should not put explosives in a cache,but how about a "fiery" science expieriment. I want to put KNO3 and C6H12O6 (potassium nitrate,poisonous,and sugar,duh)in a bag along with a warning saying"the chemical contained are hazardous..."and instructions on how to mix to get a bright red flame,not explosive,but flammable.The ingredients are seperate,so its not illeagel, but is it OK. With supervision from a parent,even a child could do this.The potassium nitrate can be purchased at a local long over the counter. It is not illegal.

[This message was edited by AndrewCali on June 20, 2002 at 04:04 PM.]

I would say keep the science experiment in the lab where it belongs. All chemicals can do weird things under the right conditions. Why take a chance on the safety of fellow cachers. As for yourself I would suggest being careful with potassium nitrate also known as saltpeter. Not the correct spelling I know. It could make your brain go limp.

Olar

wavey.gif

Andrewcali, I agree with Olar, probably not a real good idea. How about some little science experiment books instead?

Jeez, what if they decided to do the *bright red flame* experiment right there on the spot, and something went wrong and there were injuries? Could that be a possible liability nightmare for you?

Yep, I would suggest to error on the side of safety.

I have just made up a neat new cache called "Stump Remover."

It has gasoline, several lighters, some pure grain alcohol, dynamite, TNT, black powder, hydrochloric acid, a bag of termites, blasting caps, several loose batteries and bare wire, easy-twist detonator box, a six-pack of beer and nitro glycerine (in copious quantities.)

This should be anything and everything necessary to remove those nasty urban city park stumps that always get in our way to the cache.

I was thinking about including a live beaver, but, that seemed like overkill.

The container is made out of matches that I have glued together and the lid is plywood with sandpaper glued on both sides.

My question for you is: where should I put this?

icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

It has gasoline, several lighters, some pure grain alcohol, dynamite, TNT, black powder, hydrochloric acid, a bag of termites, blasting caps, several loose batteries and bare wire, easy-twist detonator box, a six-pack of beer and nitro glycerine (in copious quantities.)

This should be anything and everything necessary to remove those nasty urban city park stumps that always get in our way to the cache.

The container is made out of matches that I have glued together and the lid is plywood with sandpaper glued on both sides.

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

I do agree with you guys,probably not a good idea.But I do have a few points to make

I wouldnt ever endanger any property or land by putting something flammable in a cache. You have to go home to mix the formula,you must put it over heat.

Second,the bag with the chemicals on it had a full warning about contents,instructions,and a liablty statment.I dont think I could be liable.

But the idea about the book or maybe just instructions are a good idea,maybe ill do that instead.

Thanks for your replies

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewCali:

I do agree with you guys,probably not a good idea.But I do have a few points to make

I wouldnt ever endanger any property or land by putting something flammable in a cache. You have to go home to mix the formula,you must put it over heat.

Second,the bag with the chemicals on it had a full warning about contents,instructions,and a liablty statment.I dont think I could be liable.

But the idea about the book or maybe just instructions are a good idea,maybe ill do that instead.

Thanks for your replies

Andrew,

Let me break my long-standing tradition and be very serious with you for this post.

Please, DON'T do this!

- Trust us, even though we make light of it and poke fun, I personally would greatly appreciate it if you took our advice, and didn't create this cache.

This game is very fun, and I have found some interesting things in caches.

I do not believe that I would like to find what you are proposing in this cache, and if I did, I might seriously consider removing it. I would then e-mail you and the personel at geocaching.com regarding the cache, my removal of the offending item(s) or the entire cache itself.

I would feel compelled to do this just as if I found a loaded pistol in a cache that someone thought was a "good" trade item.

Many people hunt with their small children and families.

Just what we DON'T need is some incident to blacken our public eye and what you are proposing could, I believe, lead to such an incident.

Now, if you built a regular cache with normal items, and wanted to include in your logbook a few pages about this, and how to do it, and where to get the ingredients... I would be ALL FOR THAT!

Hope I will not have to get serious again for a long time, as it is very out of character for me.

Thank you in advance if you take our advice.)

And, if you choose not to (and that is your choice, I'll admit) then we are going to stand in line to by tickets to say, "I told you so."

BTW - I would be willing to roast hot dogs over your flaming cache, when it goes up in smoke... (haha!) icon_biggrin.gif

--majicman

quote:

Thanks for your replies

Andrew,

Let me break my long-standing tradition and be very serious with you for this post.

Please, DON'T do this!

- Trust us, even though we make light of it and poke fun, I personally would greatly appreciate it if you took our advice, and didn't create this cache.

This game is very fun, and I have found some interesting things in caches.

I do not believe that I would like to find what you are proposing in this cache, and if I did, I might seriously consider removing it. I would then e-mail you and the personel at geocaching.com regarding the cache, my removal of the offending item(s) or the entire cache itself.

I would feel compelled to do this just as if I found a loaded pistol in a cache that someone thought was a "good" trade item.

Many people hunt with their small children and families.

Just what we DON'T need is some incident to blacken our public eye and what you are proposing could, I believe, lead to such an incident.

Now, if you built a regular cache with normal items, and wanted to include in your logbook a few pages about this, and how to do it, and where to get the ingredients... I would be ALL FOR THAT!

Hope I will not have to get serious again for a long time, as it is very out of character for me.

Thank you in advance if you take our advice.)

And, if you choose not to (and that is your choice, I'll admit) then we are going to stand in line to by tickets to say, "I told you so."

BTW - I would be willing to roast hot dogs over your flaming cache, when it goes up in smoke... (haha!) icon_biggrin.gif

--majicman

Andrew I also strongly urge you to NOT place your chemicals in a cache. Please heed the advice given by majicman.

In case you are still not convinced I suggest you read the MSDS (material safety data sheet) at http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/p5950.htm

In case you don't understand what a strong oxidizer will do then imagine a supply of it inside an air-tight cache container having no air circulation and probably very hot and damp. A chemical reaction quietly starts at some point and sits there idling and going nowhere because it is starving for oxygen. Along comes little Suzy wanting to impress her parents by finding and opening the cache before them. Enter Oxygen.

I say no more.

Olar

wavey.gif

First machettes, now explosives and I love the phrasing "I dont think I could be liable". Tell us what you know not what you think, since you are not sure about liabilty ask a lawyer. Then tell us what you know. I have to agree if heard that there was a cache with this sort of item in it the first thing I would do is go out remove this type of item. Even if I had to take a day off from work

If you want to teach people about how to make home made explosives just leave copies from The Anarchists Cookbooks. But please read the FAQs, which includes no ammunition(explosives). All it takes is one person to get hurt when the contents of this cache have been cooking in the heat and Geocaches will be pulled permanently. I have already had one discusiion with a park manager over the liabilty of placing a cache. They have a tough time accepting the fact that Geocaching is no more dangerous than hiking through the park.

SOMEHOW I THINK THIS QUESTION WAS POSTED ,MORE TO GET OUR REACTION.THEN BEING SERIOUS.ITS HARD TO THINK ANYONE WOULD BE SERIOUS ABOUT PLACING STUFF LIKE THAT IN A CACHE.KIDS ARE OUT THERE WITH THEIR FOLKS,WHAT A DISASTER THAT WOULD BE.THE BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE,,,,IS THE SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE..DONT DO IT

How about a time limited cache? I could put a hampster in the cache and somebody better find it, like, real quick. Less dangerous (to humans at least) than firey chemicals. I'm guessing I shouldn't use an ammo-can or tupperware on account of the tight seal.

icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

How about a time limited cache? I could put a hampster in the cache and somebody better find it, like, real quick. Less dangerous (to humans at least) than firey chemicals. I'm guessing I shouldn't use an ammo-can or tupperware on account of the tight seal.

icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

Geocaching is harmless, innocent fun. Fireworks can be bought at many roadside stands especially around July 4th. Just keep in mind that kids and teens geocache too, and it just seems silly to give them ingredients and/or instructions on how to make flammable toys. Just my opinion. Let's keep geocaching a non-explosive sport. Leave the blowing up of caches to the bomb squads who get reports of strange people places ammo cans in trees, and leave the stashing of recipes for explosives to the Tim McVeigh types.

Do the wildfires going on right now mean anything to you? A small flame in the right conditions could catch a few leaves on fire. You stump it out (So you think)a day later your neighborhood is being evacuated due to an out of control wildfire heading your way. Turns out it started in the area of your cache. Now ask yourself "Was it a good idea to place this in a cache?"

I don't get lost...just sometimes can't figure out how to get where I'm going.

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

--majicman

Don't forget to wrap it all up in a black plastic bag. icon_razz.gif

quote:

--majicman

Don't forget to wrap it all up in a black plastic bag. icon_razz.gif

I think that if I came across a cache with something like that in it, I would immediately contact the police and let them decide if they could press charges for sheer stupidity. Why would ANYONE want to damage a truly recreational sport like this? Stick with 'dollar' store items as prizes and forget the non-sense.

quote:

--majicman

And you could use Ammonia Nitrate and Diesel Fuel to help keep the items in the container from moving around.

As for the original post... Uhhh NO! Don't Do It... I'd take McToys over the chems any day!

This goes right in line with the WWII era rifle ammunition I found in two different caches. It was 5 rounds in a clip, and each round was as live as they were the day manufactured. While cool in theory (he placed them to share some memorabilia he had), it was definitely dangerous. I promptly removed both and posted in my logs regarding the risk of leaving such items in a cache.

Incidentally, not too long ago I visited a cache that I found 2 shotgun shells in. I saw the top split open and the bb's removed, but never bothered to look at the primer. A few weeks later, I met up with some other cachers at a breakfast event cache and one of them had the shells in his possession. It was at this time I noticed the primers. While this isn't the 'same' as the rifle ammo, the wadding was still in there which can be propelled out by a simple primer. This could easily take out an eye if Junior starts smacking the back end against a rock. I'd hate to see the headline on that one after word got out...

It boils down to common sense, but in these 2 cases someone apparently chose not to exercise that basic tenet of existence. Hrmph.

Brian

Team A.I.

While I don't think that it really needs to be said again I want to touch on a suggestion that someone posted. While I like science experiements and this would be of interest to me personally, I wouldn't like to find chemicals in a cache. I would much rather find a book of experiments and conduct them at home with chemicals I purchased myself. Also like someone else said uncontrolled conditions can have odd effects on chemicals, so if I were to do this experiement I would feel much safer purchasing my own rather than getting chemicals from a cache, where I would have no idea what the chemicals have been through.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

quote:

I want to put KNO3 and C6H12O6 (potassium nitrate,poisonous,and sugar,duh)

1. Food items are not allowed in caches.

2. Poisonous items are NOT a good idea. If they haven't already been banned outright.

I will not tolerate anyone placing an item in a cache that would entice my furry friends to chew through the tupperware and end up ingesting poison.

May a plague of squirrels be upon you if you even think about doing that....

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

Majicman said:

"I have just made up a neat new cache called "Stump Remover."

My question for you is: where should I put this?"

SEND IT TO:

REPUBLICAN GUARD

BAGHDAD, IRAQ.

MagicMan

I was in tears when I read about your cache.

(The one you made) Could you send it to my ex-wife?? That is really why I cried, because she said I never gave her anything.

Anyway....yes it is NOT a good idea to put a bunch of either explosive or highly flammable

materials in a small container that a family will go out to find in the woods or canyons or valleys. Best leave that work fot the EOD of our great U.S. Army.

A FAR better idea is this: Give out the not

quite correct coordinates on the website soz

a fair amount of somewhat intelligent people

who have no map or compass skills can go into the woods, looking for a cheesy conatainer with

some small toys inside and will look for hours into the dark with no flashlight.

Ok.....Ok....that is not a good idea either.

But fun to think about.

psyopwak

"Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect."

Chief Seattle

quote:
Originally posted by piggly:

I asked a question in another message about stuff to put in caches and was told off for putting sweets and cartons of drink in ones I'd visited.

What is wrong with this?

The primary concern is that it will attract animals, which can destroy any non-metal container. The secondary problem has to do with odors overpowering the rest of the contents.

Ron/yumitori

The only thing 'food' wise that I would consider acceptable in a cache (JMHO), is simply an emergency water pouch. I've found a few in some of the desert caches around where I live, and they are a great item to have out there. No odor to attract animals, and will be a god-send to anyone who possibly has an unfortunate accident and is forced to stay in the boonies for an extended period of time.

Brian

Team A.I.

I know this is an old thread, but I still have 2 cents left in my pocket. majicman, you never cease to make me laugh my butt off!

The heck with the explosives! I do not want to open any cache and find it filled with ants feasting on sugar. 'Nuff said. No food in caches.

I'd like to find the Majicman Caching Joke Book in a cache tho!

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

Ahhh, the old Stump Remover Cache discussion thread - always has been one of my favorites - (I kill myself!!!)

Thanks for bumping this one back up to be reread by the new (it was originated over a year ago, but still as germaine and funny!!

IMHO!

--majicman

--majicman