Okay, I've Got It Narrowed Down To Two!

mikemmm

Hi! I'm new to this game and am in the process of shopping for a GPS. I'm mostly going to just use it for geocaching and for road trips. because I'm something of a geek, I love electronic toys with lots of bells and whistles, so I picked out some GPSs with altimeters, compasses, etc. These two are in my price range (~$200) and have all that and I was hoping for some advice, especially from people who have used either one. The two I'm looking at are the Garmin Etrex Vista (non-color display) and the Magellan Explorist 300 (blue). The Garmin is a bit more expensive (like $30) but seems to have alot more tools, has more memory, can have maps downloaded into it, and can also be run off of a car cigarette lighter (with optional cable). The Magellan seems easier to use, the display seems nicer, and has a weather predictor which looks cool.

Anyone have any opinions on which one I should buy? Am I wasting money by getting the neat options (altimeter, etc) or are they actually useful? Is there another GPS that's in my price range that's much better?

Thanks for you help!

Mike

This is a frequent question in the forums and you're likely to get as many opinions as there are GPSr's. :ph34r:

My opinion: I've owned the eTrex Vista for two years and it has served me very well - I'd highly recommend it. It's small, light and easy to use (the menus are fairly intuitive and the controls are designed to be used one-handed - especially useful when you're clinging to the cliff :huh: or carrying a walking stick with the other hand).

I bought the car charger and the windshield mount (suction cup bracket) and have used the Vista to navigate on road trips as well as for geocaching. You'll also want to buy the Garmin MapSource MetroGuide or City Select software so that you can create routes, etc on your PC and download more detailed maps to the GPSr (the base maps are OK, but not very detailed). I also bought a nylon belt holster - very handy when you need both hands free. You don't have to buy the accessories right now (the GPSr works fine without them) - you can get them as your budget allows.

The built in electronic compass avoids the "drunken bee dance" (the tendancy for the navigation needle to flip randomly when you're standing still, since the GPS depends on movement to know which direction you're facing) - I wouldn't buy a unit without it. The altimeter is less essential - it's fun to see the altitude plots of your hikes, but it's not a navigation necessity. But it comes with the compass, so what the heck!

The one accessory I'd recommend buying right away is a set of rechargeable NiMH batteries and a charger (in setup the menu, you can set the Vista to use NiMH batteries). I use the Panasonic batteries and charger. Not very expensive, and a great long-term investment (pays for itself fairly quickly if you use the GPSr alot)!

Edit: When looking for GPSr accessories, get the part number off the Garmin website and then do a Google search on the part number - you can often find genuine Garmin accessories for less than the list price!

Edited by Kai Team

That's an easy choice, the Etrex wins hands down. The Explorist has no data port. You can't upload coordinates to it, can't download tracks, can't update firmware, can't add detailed maps......If you step up in the Explorist line to get data cable and SD card ability, they switch from AA batteries to a custom Lithium-ion battery pack, making "extra batteries" a likely expensive proposition.....

I use a stepped-down version of the Vista - a Legend. While I can't speak to teh extra functionality the Vista gives you, the Legend has serve me nicely. Wouldn't mind having the extra memory that the Vista gives.

I find the use of a data cable extremely important. If the Explorist doesn't have one, that would rule it out completely in my book, regardless of whatever other features it might have. Check out to make sure that the above statement is true. That could be a killer.

Whatever you buy, get to know your machine well, read the manual, ask questions in the GPU Unites forum, and look into available software (free or not) that can help you out.

Good luck!

and go with the Garmin!

The eXplorist doesn't have a data port which makes it unsuitable for all but the most casual of geocachers. You will not be able to dowload detailed maps, waypoints and even software fixes. Also consider the eTrex Legend C which you can find for abotu the same price as the Vista if you really shop around.

he fact that the eXplorist doesn't us field replacable AA batteries is also an issue.

Edited by briansnat

The compass and altimeter are cool, true (I've got both in my Garmin 76CS) but... have I ever seriously used them? The compass, twice I think, and the altimeter? Never. That said, if you are a true gadget-geek, ya' gotta' have 'em! :ph34r: My two complaints with the Explorist series (I've never actually used them - but I have played with them in the store) are, the lack of data port which has been mentioned, and the fact that for me (with average size hands) the buttons are so small as to be annoying. The Legend, Legend C, Vista, and Vista C are all excellent choices IMHO!

Hi everyone out there,

Wanted to put my 2 cents in. I have a Magellan Meridian. Love it! I think it depends on the unit you start with. I have down loaded topo maps and streets into it. We use the mapping as we are locating a cache. Then we turn to the compass and let the compass take us to the cache. One of my friends has the color Magellan. I am saving my pennies to buy one - they are so much easier to see - especially if you have the topo maps.

I got my granddaughter an Explorist 200 for Christmas. It is great for her. She is 8 and picked up on using it in about 15 minutes. She doesn't need all the mapping - just to tell her which way to go. I don't like it for me - have arthritis in my hands and it is too small for me to use - buttons are small and closer together. I guess that's another reason I like the Magellan.

If there is any way that you can try out a couple of different brands in the field, I would strongly suggest that you do just that.

I think they are probably all good units - just depends on what you want.

I vote for the Magellan Meridian Gold - it is reasonably priced and works well. Also the antena is built in.

boasark

I am new to this forum....I just recieved my new Magellan Meridan Gold today in the mail. Its almost 11pm and I am still messing with it. I love it !! My wife and I went out this afternoon and found 4 caches near our home. I think that this can be habit forming.

I have just downloaded another 5 sites to look for just in case we get done early on Easter, with all that eating, we will need some walking time to work off all that food !!

Just to repeat myself, I think that the Magellan Gold is an exceptional unit. It is extremely well built and I love the large screen. I need to learn more about this unit...it sure is fun learning. Have a happy Easter.

I am new to this forum....I just recieved my new Magellan Meridan Gold today in the mail. Its almost 11pm and I am still messing with it. I love it !! My wife and I went out this afternoon and found 4 caches near our home. I think that this can be habit forming.

I have just downloaded another 5 sites to look for just in case we get done early on Easter, with all that eating, we will need some walking time to work off all that food !!

Just to repeat myself, I think that the Magellan Gold is an exceptional unit. It is extremely well built and I love the large screen. I need to learn more about this unit...it sure is fun learning. Have a happy Easter.

Magellan Explorist 300

Magellan sport trak pro or Meridian gold would be a better choice

I don't like Magellans, I don't find them user friendly.

It depends on what you are use to, I use Magellan so for me when I use my freinds Garmin GPS I find the Garmin is not user freindly, and he finds my Magellan is not be user freindly for him.

I am also new to caching and went through the mind numbing exercise of buying a "good" GPS. I started with a Cobra 100 because it was cheap (big mistake) then went to the Garmin legend (good unit but lacks some features I wanted) and now I'm waiting delivery of my new Magellan Meridian Gold. I think this is the one.

:)