What Activity Has Geocaching Replaced

It hasn't "replaced" anything, but I do fish less because if I walk somewhere, I would rather find or hide a cache, and if planning to go out, would rather do caching than focus on fishing. The fly rod is still in the car though, just in case I can combine the hobbies! I did that last year by fishing with Dad on Father's Day and then also hiding a cache! I also plan this spring to go to a fav fishing spot and both fish and hide a cache.

I had run a marathon two years before. Since then, the job got in the way and I gained significant weight. Geocaching has helped me bring my weight back in line. It is also a good family activity. My nearly 3 year old daughter loves finding the boxes. I do fewer yard projects, but don't really mind that.

OK, I also gave up distance running (I did the Lincoln, NE Marathon years back) but not because of caching. Hip surgery made me give that up long before I found caching! If anything, caching prevented me from going back to injury prone distance running! A way to get outside and exercise, but not kill my hip and knees! :blink:

Uhm... I am considering a marathon again though. I really need some long hike Nebraska caches to divert me from that thought please....!!!!!! I think I want to run a marathon again, but that is temporary insanity that caching can cure! :blink:

Edited by carleenp
It's actually given me more motivation to get outdoors, though the winter season usually shuts me out.

I agree to an extent... It gives me more motivation to get HW done so I can get out and cache, but the winter doesn't slow me down too much... if there is too much snow to ride, then I pull out my XC skis and go skiing :-D

So, basically, caching isn't replacing anything, just giving me somewhere to go when I go for my rides :-)

Happy Caching

Jeff

I have a 75 Blazer rusting in my backyard. When I saved up enough money to buy some of the parts I needed I discovered geoaching. Then the choice was "Fix the rig or buy a GPS". The Blazer is still rusting. I should put it up on blocks in my front yard as a redneck monument. Most people see a rust bucket but I see Flint Michigan produced art.

You could then make it a cache, LOL.

cheers

Caching has replaced work! I own two business and am therefore able to take off when I like. The problem is.... I like too much.

Also, for the first time in more years that I can remember, I didn't even take my bow out of it's case for the last deer season. I use to live for those moments where I could sit in a tree and watch the sunset while deer passed, but now I find myself using that time for caching.

Scoob

I work 50 miles from home every day in a small town with little to do on my lunch hour. I was sitting at my desk, working or reading. Not much in the way of getting out and relaxing some before the afternoon rush. Now I seek out benchmarks. There isn't much in the way of caches here either. What G-Caching has done for me is to get my butt out for an hour of activity. My evenings are to go workout for 2 hours and hit a cache or two around Longview. So it really has extended my exercise time from 2 hours to alomst 4 per day.

Later! :)

I have a 75 Blazer rusting in my backyard.  When I saved up enough money to buy some of the parts I needed I discovered geoaching.  Then the choice was "Fix the rig or buy a GPS".  The Blazer is still rusting.  I should put it up on blocks in my front yard as a redneck monument.  Most people see a rust bucket but I see Flint Michigan produced art.

cheers

Ooh, there's an idea. Make it a theme cache, make people trade parts. If everyone follows the creed (trade up) then it should be restored in no time!

Of course, what you'd really end up with is a Blazer frame, a spare tire from a '78 Pacer, used windsheild wiper blades form a '88 Camaro, and a used golfball.

I have a 75 Blazer rusting in my backyard.  When I saved up enough money to buy some of the parts I needed I discovered geoaching.  Then the choice was "Fix the rig or buy a GPS".  The Blazer is still rusting.  I should put it up on blocks in my front yard as a redneck monument.  Most people see a rust bucket but I see Flint Michigan produced art.

cheers

Ooh, there's an idea. Make it a theme cache, make people trade parts. If everyone follows the creed (trade up) then it should be restored in no time!

Of course, what you'd really end up with is a Blazer frame, a spare tire from a '78 Pacer, used windsheild wiper blades form a '88 Camaro, and a used golfball.

:):)

A pinto four cyclinder

A rambler nash rear diff

and a McToy hood ornament.

OT: I've actualy been pursuing my four wheeling addiction more since I started caching. And my wife has been doing a lot more photography. We have more excuses to get out into the hills than ever.

sleeping I would have to say also, plus I got rid of my tv since I'm out doors all the time, and when I call my friends that I got into geocache and ask where they are via gps coordinates, they just laugh. I've convienced 1 roommate into automobile gps and he got all into it.. but I did that, and today we are happily sharing our technology.

gps is getting me into some serious camping mode. I want to walk for days following the triangle to strange and never seen before places. :laughing:

its addictitive,

you know what would be funny as hell is if the military ask us to help them do something with gps or something similiar in a time of need or tragedy. I can see all the geocachers in this forum, running out the front door with there gps in hand screaming "i'm going to log it first", that prize is mine. a military mre for first place... in reality I know this already happens during hurricanes,floods,etc... but the thought of a bunch a savy geocachers getting there is what is funny.

and I thought computer geeks were bad for being techno-savy but how about techno-savy on" lifes where abouts" is so much cooler :laughing:

Edited by flir67

Our hobbies go in phases...so I started with sewing and quilting, geocaching replaced that somewhat, then was replaced somewhat by reefing (saltwater tank) and now THAT'S about to be replaced by rally obedience competitions with our youngest dog.

Geocaching replaced housekeeping, so I hired a housekeeper :lol:

It didn't replace photography for me, but it did replace my darkroom time.

Now I take rolls and rolls of film, and they are sitting on the shelf waiting for me to get to them. Maybe after rally-o season....:lol:

I'm sure that sometime this summer geocaching will be back on the list, but it'll have to be balanced along with everything else.

TV? What's that? I'm not sure why we even have satellite tv anymore.

I fished with my Dad. Then our boat broke and I took up montain biking with my Dad. Seems kinda one sided. I think my Mom got jealous. Now that I am back in the Home area, I geocache with my friends and family. I hang out with my Mom more now. I did pick up an activity from a friend, I go to a lot of A's baseball games now. My Dad goes to quite a few too. My Mom, not so much. I think it has brought me closer to a family and friends I was already really close too.

But...I don't:

Fish much anymore

Ride much anymore

CHASE girls AS much anymore

We did just get a TV at my house, so there has been a drastic upspike in TV watching (about 5 hours, 2 A's baseball Games)

I do:

see more parks than I could have imagined

find lots of great "makeout spots" (just in case I ever move back in with my parents) (goes good with my chasing girls, eh?)

spend about 50% of my free time outside (that includes sleeping)

love it

It hasn't really replaced any activity in my life I gave up Everquest over a year ago for more outdoor activities. Well thats not totally true it has given me and my oldest Daughter something we both enjoy doing instead of fighting all the time:)

J Day

Paintball...

Too costly, too little time in the field, etc...

What it boiled down to was that I didn't want to raise kids who learned that shooting any projectile at another human being is acceptable. No need for it and there are just too many other good things to do with one's time.

I used to go work out a lot at the Health Club on Saturday mornings and leave my son in their "kid care." I decided that wasn't too good so we go geocaching. I now run with some friends early Sunday morning and I have a lot of fun with my son. We have been to areas of town and parks that we didn't know existed. My wife joins us quite a bit.

We watch less tv and are more active.

It replced my addiction to ebay..Now I spend at least one day a week on cacheing with my grandson.He is only 3 but he is as addicted to cacheing as I am..He talks in his sleep about it..I'm not sure if its a cheaper addiction with the gas prices going up.But I get to see alot of the places I was always going to see and some I never wanted to see.

cheers

I would love to stumble across a car overgrown by grass to find that it was the cache I was looking for. :unsure: