Special Trinkets instead of McToys

New England n00b

Well, since I'm now hooked...

What do experienced GC'rs think of the idea of making special tokens to leave, instead of so-called McToys?

I'm thinking of using 1 1/2" dowels, cut in 1/2" thick discs, drilled more or less like a tinker toy (just a pretty design or something) and imprinted with the date I left it in the cache? I'm thinking of making 5 of one design, (marking them 1 of 5, etc) so there could be collections. Nothing special, just... unique.

It just seems a bit more personal to me.

Thoughts?

---------------------

16x16_smiley-mad.gif Don't hurt me. I'm new here.

I'm pretty new to this sport and I already agree wholeheartedly that is always a LOT more fun to find new and interesting things inside of a cache and not just junk. Sometimes there is truly no explanation for the things that are left behind as trade items.

I think anything homemade or otherwise that is left with the good intentions of sharing something cool with another geocaching party is the GREATEST! icon_biggrin.gif Your ideas sound like fun!

P.S. I like to leave handmade bracelets and such with little geocaching tags on them.

I've come up with a trademark item that fits well with our family/team name. They're none-dollar bills, pun intended.

I've modified a $1 bill to read $0 and NONE where appropriate, changed some of the graphics on the bill, and made it a different size and color than real bills. I've finished the layout and will have them printed and cut at Kinko's on my next visit. I plan on laminating them and placing them in every cache I visit from now on.

I'll try to get a digital image of the final product up in a few days for comments...

S-4-C

I KNOW I'll find it if I just keep LOOKING!

Yes I agree I went to E-Bay and bought two hundred Walking librty Silver half dollars, for my signature Item. But found that there where to many High graders out there that took all coins and left gumballs. I am now only trading coins for equal value objects. And leaveing toys for the kids. If I find nothing but plastic toys I sign log and am happy for the hunt. TNLN This is a family oriented sport/hobby. So the kids get the bootty. But parents should not let them take the cache and leave the trash. It is not all for children, and most geo-Cachers are older than three years old. Hand made items would be cool I think!!Kudos for great idea!

I agree with all of you. I have one small almost micro that I keep stocked with small handmade bracelets that say "FOUND IT", "GEOCACHER" or something similar with a smiley face icon_smile.gif attached. I also carry a supply with me when I cache as they will fit most any size cache. Usually it is one of the first things traded for. I would love to find more handmade trades and less McToys.

All these things sound great but, for the record. I have taken my kids along (5, 3 and 6 months) to each cache. My two eldest were all over the stuff and when I told them that they could each keep one of the (cheap, plastic) toys that they found they looked at me like they had just won the lottery icon_smile.gif.

So...by all means put decent stuff in there. But a few McToys are worth just as much to young kids.

quote:
Originally posted by houldsworth1:

All these things sound great but, for the record. I have taken my kids along (5, 3 and 6 months) to each cache. My two eldest were all over the stuff and when I told them that they could each keep one of the (cheap, plastic) toys that they found they looked at me like they had just won the lottery icon_smile.gif.

So...by all means put decent stuff in there. But a few McToys are worth just as much to young kids.

Yup, for geocaching parents, the Mctoys are heaven sent icon_smile.gif