Travel Bugs And Customs

tubby and

Has anyone ever had trouble bringing a TB across a border or on a plane? In the past i have put the tag on my key chain and then transported the actual Bug seperately just so that i don't get held up answering questions. i would guess that it gets a little more touchy if there is something that might be considered contraband, like sand from a beach or a pineapple.:ph34r:

(This will probably be moved to TB's soon. But i thought i would try to reach the general populace before it is moved.)

I took this

My TB Carrier Case

over the Atlantic several times - always carry-on so that I get a chance to take some pictures. Of course, I don't take any TBs that look like a weapon... :D

The last time I had a 2 inch brass propeller and they looked at it to see how sharp the edges were, but no problem I could take it on board.

If anybody asks I say this is a "toy exchange program my daughter participates in". Did this several times, so far noever had a problem. :rolleyes:

Olaf

I can't think of any reason why customs in any country would have issues with Travel Bugs. Of course, no toy guns or knives, and you'll be safe.

Instead of explaining geocaching, just say your a hiker, that'll explain the GPS.

I like the explanation of the TB as a toy exchange where kids follow the toys travels. That should be sufficient.

Whatever you do, just don't lie, just answer straightforward and you should be fine.

Dave

We are traveling from the UK to the USA next weekend and this question crossed our minds.

What occured to us was that travellers are always asked if you packed your bags yourself and also if your have been handed anything by someone else to pack.

Strickly speaking a TB falls into the second category. An unscrupulous TB owner could put some kind of contraband in a TB, give the TB a destination of a cache abroad, stash it in a cache and lo and behold... it gets transported abroad with little risk to himself. Although the owner of the TB would traceable the fact that it had contraband inside would require a great deal of proof to show that the owner was resposible for it being there... the caches are available to the public by their very nature and anyone could have placed the contraband inside the TB.

I realise that this is very much a theoretical discussion but I did want to consider it so that I have some answers ready should I come across a suspicious customs officer.

Binary Pair