New Here And Have A Question About Swap Items

jenndiggy

I just got my GPS this week, and with it, it brought snow, so I haven't been caching yet, but I was wondering what makes good trade items. I've been lurking on the forums for a little while, and after reading the "best items found in a cache" thread, I'm wondering what I should be taking to trade with. I assumed it was always McDonalds toy type items in a cache, but now I'm wondering. . .

Anyway, I do several crafts, but the one I enjoy most has a religious (Christian) theme to it. It's pretty, and I sold these to several stores when I was in college, and could never keep enough made. But I'm afraid that might be offensive to some, even as a trade item.

I also make "Scrunchies" (like girls use to pull their hair back in a ponytail)

Or should I go with non-handmade stuff. Just thought handmade might be cool but maybe I should go with something that can be bought?

Any thoughts?

And please, don't flame me for the religious item since I'm a harmless newbie. :ph34r: LOL

The religious item sounds nice. Too bad if it offends someone. Nice, hand made items are always appreciated. If it were me, I'd save my nice, hand made items for caches that I particularly enjoyed.

Beyond the hand made stuff, nearly anything goes. You don't have to break the bank. Just get stuff that you think might be useful, or fun for others. A few months ago I bought a bunch of emergency rain ponchos at Walmart for 87 cents. I was trading those for a while until I ran out. I recently picked up 10 packs of Hefty Handi Sacks (little garbage bags) for the same price and I've been trading those lately.

Just don't clean out your junk drawer and throw it in the cache and you're be fine. If its garbage, throw it out, not in a cache.

I would welcome seeing a handmade item in a cache, whatever it symbolized. Keep in mind that many cachers take things quite literally and like following the rules to the letter. If you do leave a handmade item, take the time to package it well because cache containers tend to be damp and nasty. Consider leaving a note with the item, such as "A handmade XXXXX by YYYYYYY." That will be appreciated.

Thanks. Neither take long to make, and neither are expensive, so maybe the cross bookmark will become what I leave at every cache. :ph34r:

I may take some other stuff to trade to, just wasn't sure what stuff is usually traded for sure.

Now if this rain and snow would go away. LOL!

I always look for hand made stuff first and thats what I take. My son who is with me looks for WG$ and tradeing cards (i.e. Poke mon cards) so I place both type of things in cache's. Our first sig. item is a beaded keychain. As for offending someone with religious items :blink: don't worrie about it. I think there is a big difference between religious tracks and a book marker with a cross on it.

Just remember, your item is only one small piece of a (hopefully) well stocked treasure chest. If people do the right thing and trade-up, the cache only gets better with time. (Not usually the case, but that is the hope.)

Everyone has different tastes, so if you put in something you think is nice, eventually someone will find that cache that feels the same way.

I'm an atheist and have no problems with religous items in a cache, caching is as much for the christian, jew, or atheist as it is anyone else.

Don't get me wrong I hate to be preached at but there is a difference between knocking on my door and leaving a bookmark to be found.

My only wish for caching items is that they could be edible, I know it's not practical but I sure would love to find a yummy morsle and the end of a search.

...Anyway, I do several crafts, but the one I enjoy most has a religious (Christian) theme to it. It's pretty, and I sold these to several stores when I was in college, and could never keep enough made. But I'm afraid that might be offensive to some, even as a trade item....

A signature item represents you. If this is what you would like to do. then it's yours too do. If someone is offeneded, that's entirely their fault.

My only wish for caching items is that they could be edible, I know it's not practical but I sure would love to find a yummy morsle and the end of a search.

I bet as you find some more caches, you'll change your tune......I wouldn't eat ANYTHING I found in a cache, no matter how well sealed it may appear to be....

i am not religious - actually, i'm almost anti-religious because i've had to cross picket lines to get to the geology building. but i would not have any problem whatsoever with seeing a religious item in a cache. it's a trade - you aren't locking anyone else into taking it, not if they don't want it. trade what you like!

Yeah, I don't think the religious items would be a big deal (although I have to wonder what would happen if I put, say, Wiccan items in a cache...) Homemade stuff is always cool. My first recommendation would be to not go overboard before you've even found your first cache, because while there are sometimes really cool trade items, there often aren't, so you may end up having a bunch of items you can't really use. I've found seven caches so far and only made one trade (though my girlfriend has made two.)