Coin Collectors Group

Nurse Dave

Okay I'm starting a group for collectors that are just going to buy every coin that comes out any way.

It will work like this:

#1 Putting the name on the list will commit you to buying a set number of each professionally made coin that is found available.

#2 Payment will be due as soon as payment can be made to the group making the coin.

#3 If a payment for a coin is missed you will be removed from the group because coins will have already been ordered for you.

#4 $2 will be added to the cost of the coins for mailing. Hopefully that will be cheaper than if we all had to pay for shipping ourselves.

So....

if you're interested reply to this or shoot me an email. I'll keep people update as to what coins are going to be ordered or have been ordered by email.

To start with I'll take the first 10 people just to judge desire for this and control my out-of-pocket.

Some level of buy-in to a particular purchase might be necessary, particularly if we get into situations where 10-15 coin releases start going at a time.

I try to get at least 5 of any release I can find, partly for trading and partly because I think it's cool to have a somewhat redundant collection (for future hides, dispersal to my children, etc.).

Actually, the most convenient thing would be a central place for collectors to alert each other of pending activity on new issuances. I don't know if a forum would be the best method, or some centralized web page. I like what FISUR has done Geocoin Designs), but it's usually after orders are closed.

BTW -- see UTAG yet? UTAG coins

I'm guessing this will mean any coins started after the group is formed? IE we've probably already got individuals setup to get South Africa, Calgary, Alaska coins.

Sounds great though, I'd be interested in the 3 coin range myself.

Yes. We would have to make sure everyone was already into the coins that others know are out there and then start with ones that come out after that. I can imagine that there will be some people that don't want to sell 30 or more coins to one person, then we would just send out the info about that coin to each person so they will know it's out there.

Sounds a little too rigid initially.

I think you might want to consider 'types' of collectors.

For example:

- some folks (ok, me) do states+countries only

- others want personal items only

- others want 'most' things out there

- others want every darn thing ever cooked up and some that aren't yet :-)

I'm always in for any state+country, but have generally wound up buying more than one as trading fodder because I'm still catching up to what's been released earlier before I started collecting (and others are too, fortunately).

The way you worded it, committing means committing unequivocally, which seems a bit too far for me. I'd suggest perhaps you mean 'initial committment' with the option to decide on a case-by-case basis otherwise (?)

For example, what if I don't want central-TN because I have West-TN, or perhaps I don't want California 05 because I have California-04 already ? Committing yes to not miss out on the majority I *do* want commits me to things I don't want.

I like willcall's suggestion. That place exists however already in effect, if you take a look at Terracacher trading post. It's saved me several times already, there are so many local groups who don't post to the geocaching travel-bug forum, it's pretty tough not missing a new coin (for example - I missed Idaho because I didn't know of their remote web site for the local users' group).

I guess I'd like to see a couple pinned threads:

- one for pointers to known geocoins out there to order/buy

- a different one for offers to trade, or grovelling for somebody to trade with you

Getting local groups to always post to them as new ones are being considered is close to impossible to enforce, without the Mods redirecting posts to that location, which might be a bit busy for them (examples WA, AK, NJ, IN all posting in their regional forums, not in the TB forum). Tough problem.

For example, what if I don't want central-TN because I have West-TN, or perhaps I don't want California 05 because I have California-04 already ? Committing yes to not miss out on the majority I *do* want commits me to things I don't want.

Ya, sounds like this wouldn't be for you then. You would be better off just picking and choosing as they are posted. People can already do this.

Okay, I'm going to cut it off there. It looks like most people would be happy with 3 and there is a good point that if people want more of a certain one they can order those themselves.

This is the list I have:

Strapped-4-Cache

Team Tillery

pghlooking

WoW

Globetrotter.uk

Damenace

magellan315

Moun10bike

Facedances

KC0GRN

Ray&Rose

So if you aren't happy with getting 3 of every coin we can find and PAYING me for them :( let me know. If this goes off without a hitch for a coin or two I'll open it up to more people. I'm just think of my cash outlay each time. There is a local or two I've invited to join as they have helped me in the past.

So after from hearing from each of you I"ll make up an email list and do things that way. Once we get the final list, I'll send out a list of coins that can already be ordered and make sure nobody knows of any other than those we SHOULDN'T order and we'll go from there.

I would probably be up for 10, except for the ones I already have on order, and in my collection. This sounds like a great way to get in on some of these deals.

I,m already inline for North Carolina, Alaska, Calgary, Utah, South Africa, & Portland,Oregon.

JayBee

I'm only interested in personal coins. If there's a way to include me for only personal coins (no state coins, no country coins), then I would be interested in 2 of each.

PS: The GGA is curently designing a 4th anniversary coin to be delivered by June.

Edited by AtlantaGal
I'm only interested in personal coins. If there's a way to include me for only personal coins (no state coins, no country coins), then I would be interested in 2 of each.

PS: The GGA is curently designing a 4th anniversary coin to be delivered by June.

AG, if you want to split'em, I'll take the countries+states and you take the personal ones. No clue what to do with the organizations/cities/towns/etc. that might pop up though....

AG, if you want to split'em, I'll take the countries+states and you take the personal ones. No clue what to do with the organizations/cities/towns/etc. that might pop up though....

That will work for me if Dave opens the list back up to all the peeps that didn't answer in the first few hours.

This group sounds like a good idea. It looks like lots of people would be interested in joining. I have a couple of orders to buy some new coins being made soon. It seems like the availablility ends quickly for new coins. So if you are not reading the Travel Bug or regional forums daily, you can miss out.

I have a couple of suggestions. The makers of new coins should consider making more (which also results in lowering their cost per coin.) Initial orders of 500 to a 1000 will probably get snapped up quickly.

The makers can post in the Travel Bug forum and sell all they need.

This group sounds like a good idea. It looks like lots of people would be interested in joining. I have a couple of orders to buy some new coins being made soon. It seems like the availablility ends quickly for new coins. So if you are not reading the Travel Bug or regional forums daily, you can miss out.

I have a couple of suggestions. The makers of new coins should consider making more (which also results in lowering their cost per coin.) Initial orders of 500 to a 1000 will probably get snapped up quickly.

The makers can post in the Travel Bug forum and sell all they need.

We started a thread about an Indiana coin near the beginning of the month, we currently have verbal committments for 250+ coins, and we're still hammering out the design. Given that response, I've been thinking minimum order of 500- 750.

BTW, we'll post in this forum when ready.

Problem is, personal coins in general are not for sale.