What Transceiver?

Gloom
Followers 0

OK, I finally went and bought a vehicle that's nice enough to put a mobile unit in. The old jeep was just too noisy and unsecure for a dedicated unit. I've been living with a HT and that's just not cutting it now.

I'm looking for advice on a decent, not TOO expensive dual band (2m, 70cm, minimum) transceiver. I'd like a remote head unit, cause there's just not much space to mount a full size radio in my Expedition's dash. And cross-band capability would be cool too, but not needed.

So, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gloom

Edited by Gloom

I have a Yeasu FT 8800R. It is got a great reception ability with very little interference with Intermod.

You can buy a separation kit for it or you can make one with phone cable and R235 jacks.

I have mine in my SUV full time and have it connected to a dual band magmount 5/8 wave dipole. Works great.

I have also attached it to the fold up J-Pole that I built from the instructions in the March QST mag and it really booms out on that!

The other thing about it that is nice is that its a true dual band radio in that its like having two radios in the same box.

The only thing I don't like about it is the small form factor.

I have also attached it to the fold up J-Pole that I built from the instructions in the March QST mag and it really booms out on that!

I'm in the process of building that one. Does it really work that great?

I would suggest and ICOM rig. The IC-2720H - 2 Meter / 70 cm Dual Bander is a really great rig. I personally am partial to ICOM. IC-2720H

Hope this helps

I'm in the process of building that one. Does it really work that great?

I was able to talk to people on 2 M simplex who were 9 miles away on 5 watts. I have put together a PVC mast for the back of my truck so that I can travel to a spot, and errect it. Once there, and the mast is up, the antenna is about 8 feet off the ground at the connection and about 11 feet off the ground at the top of the J.

I can get some good reception on it. Right now, my focus is on how to keep the mast and the antenna true in the vertical axis as the mast tends to bend forward over the truck. I am also working on ideas to extend the height using a piece of 3/4 metal conduit for the base of the mast.

It has actually been quite fun to play with. A friend at Church who is also a ham has built three of them for himself and friends of his.

I have the Yaesu FT-8900R (QuadBand) radio and remote mounted it in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was an easy install that took only a coupe of hours. Laying out where the parts would be located is the hardest part. Power is fed through a grommet on the left upper firewall. The remote head mounts on the console, and is small enough to not obscure the 12-volt power outlets, but large enough to operate easily.

I had the same radio in a 2002 Jeep GC, and it worked well there, too. When I traded for the 2005, the radio was no problem (maybe even a bit easier) to install. In the 2005, there is no space beneath the rear seat (like in the 2002), so I mounted it on the left flip-up panel in the front end of the cargo area.

Last month, my wife (also a ham) decided she wanted one in her GC to replace the old Kenwood TM-741A, so I did a duplicate of the install in her Jeep.

If anybody needs pictures of the install for a 2005 Jeep GC, let me know. It is easier to show than to explain some parts of the installation.

I'm looking for advice on a decent, not TOO expensive dual band (2m, 70cm, minimum) transceiver. I'd like a remote head unit, cause there's just not much space to mount a full size radio in my Expedition's dash. And cross-band capability would be cool too, but not needed.

I have the Yaesu FT7800 and can recommend without hesitation. You won't have the cross-band repeat capability or dual-receive but in my opinion this isn't a big issue. Budget another 20$ for the software to program up all 1,000 channels as doing this from the front panel is an exercise in monotony.

Don't take my word for it, go to:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3685

Compare to the Icom and you'll see there's no comparison:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2939

My buddy has one of these and confirms the complaints others have cited.

Another consideration is the FT8800 which some of the local guys use. As for the FT8900, I've found that DX on 6m & 10m using FM is nowhere near as good as SSB. I guess if your local group has active repeaters on 6 & 10 then go for it, but most HF/VHF-lo repeaters I've found pale in comparison to their co-located 2m & 70cm brothers.

Cheers!

C-A