Why Use Other Geocaching Sites?

GeoBlank

I just did a SUPERB six-part multi here which the owner had great difficulty getting approved. I'm not in on the details, but it really is a GREAT cache.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed the cache, and that the volunteer was able to work with the hider to get it listed in light of the guidelines prohibiting caches near schools.

If there's one thing that is particularly attractive about the other sites, it's that they are quite level-handed about the cache listing process.  The Achilles heel of GC is the approver system.  Under the present system an approver has godlike powers...  and some approvers are sticklers to red-tape issues like, "no, your home-coords are 105 miles from the cache instead of 100," or "this stage is 510 feet instead of 528."  (I kid you not.)  And the problem is, of course, there's nothing you can do about it.

I believe you- this EXACT situation is what will limit how many caches I will ever place on this site. Add to this the fact that the reviewer in question was the first finder on two different offset caches that had errors that should have taken him to entirely wrong locations (one deliberate, one miscalculation), and you would understand my feelings. I have no qualms with ANY caching site per se, but the fact that I can't pick (or unpick) my approver will have a direct influence on how I place caches here. If I feel someone is cheating, or a 'power-hungry lackey', I admit it takes some of the fun out of it for me. I discovered there WAS something I could do about it, though. Change where I played the game!

I will continue to hunt here, and there are some ideas that I have for caches I would like to place in tandem (NOT the same cache on two sites). When I asked for 'alternate routes' to get a cache approved, my request was not responded to.

Jeremy and crew have been doing a good job keeping up with growth, and I really like some of the new features I have been seeing. I also like what I am seeing on tc.com, and look forward to seeing how it grows. At the end of the day, I will still use both sites to feed my cache habit!

I think we can do without name calling, and digging up old complaints that were thoroughly investigated and could not be substantiated.

This is a topic about why one chooses to use other listing sites -- not a topic for bashing Groundspeak and its volunteers. The contrasting methods for listing caches are a legitimate basis for comparison of listing sites. But that discussion needs to play out within the boundaries of the forum guidelines. Thanks.