How Long To Keep It?

groovy chick

Keep it until you can help it in its goal.

If you know you can't help it, don't take it. (its ok to mention it in your cache log, but not as a find on the TB log.)

If you find that you need to keep it for a long time (say a week or more), you should send a message via GC to the owner to let them know you have it and that you are going to move it. That way it doesn't end up in the vapor.

Thanks for thinking ahead.

Anytime you hold onto a travel bug for longer than 2 weeks or so, give or take a few days, you should e-mail the owner (by clicking on the send a message link on their profile page) and let them know of your intentions. Travel bugs that sit in your inventory for a certain length of time will be marked, (see "my account details) letting you know it's about time to release it. It's nice to see someone of your age finding an interest in the game, and I'd hate for you to give up on any of the fun. If you think you've held one too long, it is always possible to revisit the cache closest to you to place it and get it back on the road. That way you get the smiley for the travel bug. Just don't log another find on the cache page, only post a note that you've dropped off the travel bug. Instructions for dropping them off are in a pinned thread at the top of this forum.

After two weeks the website will automatically mark any bugs or coins in your possession with an *, so I consider that a fair amount of time.

If you're planning on keeping it much more than 2 weeks, at least send off a note to the bug owner and let them know you haven't forgotten about it or them.