Downloading waypoints

GeoDonkeys

We have a Garmin eTrex GPS. As far as I can tell from reading the manual four times, there is no way to input GPS coords. We've been finding caches by using the GPS coords on the pointer screen.

I've been wondering if there is anyway to download onto a Garmin eTrex, so that we can use the tracking feature. If not, is there any way to download waypoints onto a PalmOS system? I have a Handspring Edge, but having trouble finding a program that is compatible with .loc files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Angela icon_smile.gif

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence [and happiness] then is not an act, but a habit. ~~Aristotle

Hi,

I'm new, too, but I just downloaded about 50 waypoints in a few minutes. I use a Meridian Platinum, which comes witha computer interface cord. I think that's an extra for Garmin folks, but I'm probably wrong.

Anyway, look on the site home page for downloads, and download EasyGPS to your computer. It's freeware, and it's very cool. Then you can download coordinates one at a time or as a whole group (say if you do a search of caches closest to home or closest to a zip code). Once they're in EasyGPS, you can upload them to your gps through the interface cord with just a keystroke. It's incredibly facile.

Even though I've just had my unit for a day, I already blew the coords loading one waypoint by hand.

There's lots about this on the boards, so you might do a search. I'm sure others will reply with lots of markwells to other threads covering this. Begin by just exploring the site, and EasyGPS.com. Then buyor borrow a cord for your unit. Then play around, and that should get you up and going.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone really isn't out to get you.

quote:
Originally posted by TeamDonkey25:

We have a Garmin eTrex GPS. As far as I can tell from reading the manual four times, there is no way to input GPS coords. We've been finding caches by using the GPS coords on the pointer screen.

Which eTrex model do you have?

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

As far as I know, it's just called Garmin eTrex. It IS the yellow model. And no, it did not come with a cable icon_frown.gif...I think they are $30 on the Garmin website. Probably cheaper on eBay.

I will read the manual again about inputting a waypoint and then editing it. Perhaps that would work, though it seems rather time consuming!

Angela

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence [and happiness] then is not an act, but a habit. ~~Aristotle

quote:
Originally posted by TeamDonkey25:

As far as I know, it's just called Garmin eTrex. It IS the yellow model. And no, it did not come with a cable icon_frown.gif...I think they are $30 on the Garmin website. Probably cheaper on eBay.

I will read the manual again about inputting a waypoint and then editing it. Perhaps that would work, though it seems rather time consuming!

Get the cable. It's worth it's weight in gold when it comes to saving time. You'll also be able to save those unique waypoints that you created. Nothing worse than losing waypoints, and the cable will allow you to download them to a PC as backup.

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

Angela, I just received an E-Trex for my birthday today and tried it out without really knowing how to use it (found the cache anyway). On page 21 of the manual on the right hand column (not in the text) it indicates that you can edit your waypoint location. Maybe this is how to enter a destination? I'm just guessing as there is no indication for entering destination waypoints anywhere else in the manual. JMHO.

PeachyPA/Punxsutawney, PA

PeachyPA